Clarification needed - AVG Watts or Real-time watts

pelotoncamden

Dec 4, 2006
Recently had an Ergomo Pro installed and I'm wondering if I'm focusing on the wrong wattage # when doing my trainer workouts. Specifically, I keep the Ergomo screen set on the main screen which shows what I would call real-time watts, HR, RPM, and speed. If I perform a workout where I need to stay in a range of 190 - 225 watts for a period of time, should I focus on the real-time watts # or the AVG watts #? Or should I use the interval function? Might just be a figment of my imagination but the WU and CD watts seem to be weighted more than MS watts.

On a different but related note, I have a Fluid 2 trainer and was wondering how many turns of the knob I should be doing as what I'm doing now makes it feel as though I have a constant tail wind when riding on the road. I currently turn the know 2 - 2.5 turns once it touches the tire.

Thanks in advance for your help.

if you view avg wattage, then you should be in interval mode; otherwise, you'll be looking at avg for the whole ride.

if you're able to do the workout right while looking at current wattage, fine....with experience, you'll be able to do this.

In my experience, I have found that whether in interval mode or not, I prefer to be looking at real-time watts. This is more beneficial over longer durations because if you're displaying ave.watts, and the average rises above or falls below your target output, it is easy to over compensate in order to get back to target wattage. Therefore, it is preferable to view real-time, even though this fluctuates, as it is still displaying any changes as they occur.

For shorter periods like 5 minute intervals average works fine as rises and drops in power are displayed in the average more instantaneously.