Clarkson pie-eyed

in message <[email protected]>, Phil Clarke
('[email protected]') wrote:

> ian henden wrote:
>
>> ... our pathetic, patronisingly low 70 mph limit, set in
>> the days when half the cars on the road had cable brakes
> > and carthorse spring suspension.

> and the drivers had the same brain & reactions we still have

A brain evolved over millions of years for controlling a mass weighing
about 80Kg and travelling at at most twenty miles an hour. It's small
surprise that it doesn't work so well controlling forces 160 times that
magnitude.

"Simon Brooke" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:a6ilv2-

> A brain evolved over millions of years for controlling a mass weighing
> about 80Kg and travelling at at most twenty miles an hour. It's small
> surprise that it doesn't work so well controlling forces 160 times that
> magnitude.

Actually, I think my brain works far better at 80mph in a car than it does
at a flat out sprint (where fear of falling flat on my face almost totally
preoccupies my thoughts)..

It's not the masses or speeds that are the intrinsic problems (they are
engineering ones), it's the rate at which we can process information (and
react in suitable time) that are surely the critical factors

By your logic, flying a plane should be impossible because we didn't evolve
to do it.

Tim

Simon Brooke wrote:

> A brain evolved over millions of years for controlling a mass weighing
> about 80Kg and travelling at at most twenty miles an hour. It's small
> surprise that it doesn't work so well controlling forces 160 times that
> magnitude.

And 747 pilots are able to control a mass of up to 385 tonnes
travelling at up to 950 km/hour. What a wonderfully adaptive
organ the brain is:)

Ian

--
Ian Gregory
http://www.zenatode.org.uk/ian/

Ian Gregory wrote:

> And 747 pilots are able to control a mass of up to 385 tonnes
> travelling at up to 950 km/hour. What a wonderfully adaptive
> organ the brain is:)

Though ATC means they aren't typically required to avoid, say, a white
cargo DC10 backing out of the cloud just in front of them...

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 14:20:05 +0100, Tim Downie wrote:

> "Simon Brooke" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:a6ilv2-
>
>> A brain evolved over millions of years for controlling a mass weighing
>> about 80Kg and travelling at at most twenty miles an hour. It's small
>> surprise that it doesn't work so well controlling forces 160 times that
>> magnitude.

> Actually, I think my brain works far better at 80mph in a car than it does
> at a flat out sprint (where fear of falling flat on my face almost totally
> preoccupies my thoughts)..
>
> It's not the masses or speeds that are the intrinsic problems (they are
> engineering ones), it's the rate at which we can process information (and
> react in suitable time) that are surely the critical factors
>
> By your logic, flying a plane should be impossible because we didn't evolve
> to do it.

So by your logic speed limits on motorways should be raised to 400 knots
because we (or some of us) can fly planes at that speed?

--
Nobby

Nobody Here wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 14:20:05 +0100, Tim Downie wrote:
> >
> > "Simon Brooke" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:a6ilv2-
> >
> >> A brain evolved over millions of years for controlling a mass weighing
> >> about 80Kg and travelling at at most twenty miles an hour. It's small
> >> surprise that it doesn't work so well controlling forces 160 times that
> >> magnitude.

> > Actually, I think my brain works far better at 80mph in a car than it does
> > at a flat out sprint (where fear of falling flat on my face almost totally
> > preoccupies my thoughts)..
> >
> > It's not the masses or speeds that are the intrinsic problems (they are
> > engineering ones), it's the rate at which we can process information (and
> > react in suitable time) that are surely the critical factors
> >
> > By your logic, flying a plane should be impossible because we didn't evolve
> > to do it.

> So by your logic speed limits on motorways should be raised to 400 knots
> because we (or some of us) can fly planes at that speed?

Only if controlled by ATC or equivalent with similar bans for
misbehaviour. Sounds like a grand idea to me.

...d

Nobody Here wrote:

>>By your logic, flying a plane should be impossible because we didn't evolve
>>to do it.

> So by your logic speed limits on motorways should be raised to 400 knots
> because we (or some of us) can fly planes at that speed?

Flying is relatively easy. It's taking off and landing that are the
tricky bits. :)

R.

On 14 Sep 2005 06:54:46 -0700, David Martin wrote:

> Nobody Here wrote:

>> > Actually, I think my brain works far better at 80mph in a car than it does
>> > at a flat out sprint (where fear of falling flat on my face almost totally
>> > preoccupies my thoughts)..
>> >
>> > It's not the masses or speeds that are the intrinsic problems (they are
>> > engineering ones), it's the rate at which we can process information (and
>> > react in suitable time) that are surely the critical factors
>> >
>> > By your logic, flying a plane should be impossible because we didn't evolve
>> > to do it.

>> So by your logic speed limits on motorways should be raised to 400 knots
>> because we (or some of us) can fly planes at that speed?

> Only if controlled by ATC or equivalent with similar bans for
> misbehaviour. Sounds like a grand idea to me.

Well, yes, but the five mile seperation requirments might limit the
throughput on the M1 - that works out at about 40 cars per hour between
London and Leeds ;-)

Having said that, the M1 these days doesn't do all that much better than
that sometimes.

--
Nobby

David Martin wrote:
> Nobody Here wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 14:20:05 +0100, Tim Downie wrote:
>>

>>>By your logic, flying a plane should be impossible because we didn't evolve
>>>to do it.

>>So by your logic speed limits on motorways should be raised to 400 knots
>>because we (or some of us) can fly planes at that speed?

> Only if controlled by ATC or equivalent with similar bans for
> misbehaviour. Sounds like a grand idea to me.

Similarly an automatic drive system for almost all of the tasks. It
would be simpler to do this if the cars were joined together somehow and
ran on fixed tracks...

Colin

Colin Blackburn wrote:
> David Martin wrote:

>> Only if controlled by ATC or equivalent with similar bans for
>> misbehaviour. Sounds like a grand idea to me.

> Similarly an automatic drive system for almost all of the tasks. It
> would be simpler to do this if the cars were joined together somehow
> and ran on fixed tracks...

Auto-pilots yes, joined together in convoys maybe, fixed tracks, never! Why
do you think folk own cars in the first place? To go where *they* want to,
not where the tracks are.

Now if we were to dig up all the rail tracks and replace trains with convoys
of computer controlled cars, you might be onto something...

Tim

Ian Gregory wrote:

> And 747 pilots are able to control a mass of up to 385 tonnes
> travelling at up to 950 km/hour. What a wonderfully adaptive
> organ the brain is:)

but the 747 is stuffed with devices to relieve the pilot of thinking and
adaption, and the vast majority of crashes are down to pilot error ... ;)

coincidentally as are the vast majority of motor incidents, from 5mph to
85mph and beyond ....

"MartinM" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> ian henden wrote:
>

>> In this day and age, a motorway speed limit of 80 or 90 would be more
>> appropriate .... with genuine enforcement of *properly* displayed lower
>> speed limits on gantries *when justified* e.g. in poor weather. IOW -
>> higher limits, but with more discipline!

> "Where justified" actually includes due to higher traffic volume, that
> is precisely why the M25 VSL was introduced. Having an upper speed
> limit of 80-90 would be a disaster as it would reduce the already
> stretched capacity of the network, not to mention the increased
> accidents from morons who don't know anything about braking distance
> and drive Russian roulette stylee up peoples' backsides.

Disagree. Many drivers currently drive at 80 or 90, quite safely - where
conditions are suitable. The M25 "high traffic volume" scenario is, as you
say, one in which the lower limits are justified. Your other points about
tailgating? as I said .... more discipline!!

Tim Downie wrote:
> Auto-pilots yes, joined together in convoys maybe, fixed tracks, never! Why
> do you think folk own cars in the first place? To go where *they* want to,
> not where the tracks are.
>
> Now if we were to dig up all the rail tracks and replace trains with convoys
> of computer controlled cars, you might be onto something...

.... the fast track to the funny farm if there was any justice in the
world. As a confirmed non-car owner, I have an obvious bias for
long-haul transport being generalised not specific. The sad truth is
that there is an echo of public opinion in what you say.

Jon

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 09:11:35 +0100, David Hansen
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 18:51:01 +0100 someone who may be The Nottingham
>Duck <[email protected]> wrote this:-
>
>>I'm glad you view terrorism so lightly.
>>Perhaps you could e-mail your reply to the families of the victims of
>>the London bombings.

>It is revealing that you compare the blowing up of some electricity
>pylons in relatively open country with the blowing up of people on
>trains and buses in the middle of a city.

Yes,it reveals that I am fully aware of the definition of terrorism.

Try reading a dictionary.

On 13 Sep 2005 21:50:10 GMT, Ian Gregory <[email protected]> wrote:

>The Nottingham Duck wrote:
>> On 13 Sep 2005 19:49:17 GMT, Ian Gregory <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>The _fact_ is that she planted a banoffie pie in Jeremy Clarkson's
>>>face. Whether or not the act was "cowardly" is a matter of opinion.
>>>Whether or not it was criminal depends on a number of things - how
>>>do you know it wasn't a stunt dreamed up by his publicist?

>> So if some 'hoodie' throws a brick at you,and claims you asked him to
>> do it then its not aggravated assault ?

>So if I go to the school fete and pay 50p to throw a water balloon
>at the teacher then it is agravated assault?
>
>> The woman is an ********.If she had any 'balls'-or rather if her
>> convctions were so strong,why not try sticking a blade into Tony Blair?

>Because she believes that it is wrong to inflict pain on sentient
>beings? Because she thinks that Tony Blair is a decent chap? She
>knows the answer to that question, we don't. Are you suggesting she
>should try knifing the Prime Minister?

Certainly not,neither do I suggest that she throw pies at 'D' list
celebs.

If someone had grabbed her breasts in the street or on the tube she'd
complain about it,so why the double standards.Why should she be
allowed to violate another person just because she feels like it ?

Why are you defending assaults on Clarkson just because you hate him?
You sound like the Nazi defending Kristalnacht because he didn't like
Jews.

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 06:37:37 +0100, Bertie Wiggins
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 04:21:43 +0100, The Nottingham Duck
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Yes,it reveals that I am fully aware of the definition of terrorism.

>Clever, that. Even the UN cannot come up with a satisfactory
>definition that World leaders can agree.

'Ere,weren't you shagging Joan Collins ?

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 07:41:38 +0100, The Nottingham Duck
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 06:37:37 +0100, Bertie Wiggins
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 04:21:43 +0100, The Nottingham Duck
>><[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>Yes,it reveals that I am fully aware of the definition of terrorism.

>>Clever, that. Even the UN cannot come up with a satisfactory
>>definition that World leaders can agree.
>>

>'Ere,weren't you shagging Joan Collins ?

My mistake , that was Bill Wiggins ;- >

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 15:51:27 +0100 someone who may be "Tim Downie"
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>Why
>do you think folk own cars in the first place? To go where *they* want to,
>not where the tracks are.

Most cars are driven to where the roads go. I'm sure many people
would like to drive into a shop in a shopping centre. Instead they
drive to a car park and then walk to the shop.

>Now if we were to dig up all the rail tracks and replace trains with convoys
>of computer controlled cars, you might be onto something...

Unless there was rather more than 1.2 person per car this scheme
would reduce the carrying capacity of the busy railway lines.

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 07:44:15 +0100, The Nottingham Duck
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 07:41:38 +0100, The Nottingham Duck
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 06:37:37 +0100, Bertie Wiggins
>><[email protected]> wrote:

>>>Clever, that. Even the UN cannot come up with a satisfactory
>>>definition that World leaders can agree.

The U.N. are a bunch of mindless suits who do anything the Yanks tell
them.
A punctured tyre with a lobotomy could accomplish more than those
poo-heads.

I think you'll find that it is not the definition but the context in
which violent acts become terrorism, e.g. during WWII the French
Resistance committed the same crimes as the I.R.A.,but are viewed by
the British as 'freedom fighters'.The Germans took a dimmer view.
But in the context of defeating Nazism the murder of
soldiers,policemen and the bombing of bars frequented by servicemen by
the Resistance was not terrorism,in much the same way that S.O.E.
operations throughout Europe during WWII aren't comparable to current
Al Quida activities.
After all,we don't view Israel as a terror state,despite the hundreds
of British servicemen murdered by Zionists-because of the context in
which they were slaughtered .