Clarkson pie-eyed

I submit that on or about Sat, 17 Sep 2005 01:26:03 +0100, the person
known to the court as The Nottingham Duck
<[email protected]> made a statement
(<[email protected]> in Your Honour's bundle)
to the following effect:

>>As they say in The Shed, "It was a cultural reference to the
>>wireless-with-pictures, m'lud"

>But fiction,nonetheless.

For some values of fiction. A satire about power-crazed politicians
written by someone who was at the right-hand of a power-crazed
politician might be thought to be more than just fiction.

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

"Richard" <[email protected]>
> Phil Clarke wrote:
>> ian henden wrote:
>>
>>> Many drivers currently drive at 80 or 90, quite safely

>> > - where conditions are suitable.

>> which brings their relative closure speed on lorries, caravans, small
>> motorbikes etc, to 40mph. Expect impacts to be far worse, and many more
>> tailbacks caused by sudden speed changes in lanes.

> And the 80-90 brigade also caused delays for everyone else.

They seem to manage OK on the autobahns in Germany.

Perhaps driving on the other side of the road makes a difference??? :eek:)

Or, perhaps, because it is "normal" and people learn to handle the higher
speeds, together with a soupcon (can't do the squiggly"s" under the "c") of
typical Teutonic "discipline", speeds greater than 70mph may be regularly
achieved safely?

--
IanH

ian henden <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Richard" <[email protected]>
> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> Phil Clarke wrote:

>>> which brings their relative closure speed on lorries, caravans, small
>>> motorbikes etc, to 40mph. Expect impacts to be far worse, and many more
>>> tailbacks caused by sudden speed changes in lanes.

>> And the 80-90 brigade also caused delays for everyone else.
>>

> They seem to manage OK on the autobahns in Germany.
>
> Perhaps driving on the other side of the road makes a difference??? :eek:)
>
> Or, perhaps, because it is "normal" and people learn to handle the higher
> speeds, together with a soupcon (can't do the squiggly"s" under the "c") of
> typical Teutonic "discipline", speeds greater than 70mph may be regularly
> achieved safely?

I don't think they do manage it in Germany. They kill more people on
motorways than we do, as far as I am aware.

--
Nobby

Nobody Here wrote:
> ian henden <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> Or, perhaps, because it is "normal" and people learn to handle the higher
>> speeds, together with a soupcon (can't do the squiggly"s" under the "c") of
>> typical Teutonic "discipline", speeds greater than 70mph may be regularly
>> achieved safely?

> I don't think they do manage it in Germany. They kill more people on
> motorways than we do, as far as I am aware.

And when they have introduced speed limits on stretches of the autobahn,
accident and death rates have dropped there.

--
Tony

Anon

I submit that on or about Sat, 17 Sep 2005 12:49:34 GMT, the person
known to the court as "ian henden" <[email protected]> made a statement
(<[email protected]> in Your Honour's bundle) to
the following effect:

>> And the 80-90 brigade also caused delays for everyone else.

>They seem to manage OK on the autobahns in Germany.

For values of OK which include double the per-mile fatality rate of
the UK motorway network.

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

At 17:54:37 on 16/09/2005, The Nottingham Duck delighted uk.rec.cycling by
announcing:

> On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 15:57:53 GMT, Mark Thompson
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >> So you couldn't comment on whether the Commander-In-Chief of the
> >> British Armed Forces is responsible for the deaths of Iraqi children
> >> killed by R.A.F. bombs ?

> > The Queen is responsible?

> If she pays them,

She doesn't

> picks the CoS

She doesn't

> and tells them who/where to fight

She doesn't

> then
> yes,she would be.

So the CinC is *not* responsible then.

On 16 Sep 2005 13:44:36 GMT someone who may be David Nutter
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>A related, simpler, domain is the automation of trains on subway and
>overground lines; this has shown some promising results but I'd be wary of
>generalising it just yet.

Very wise. Such systems work reasonably well with one type of train
and one type of service, generally underground. Where such services
are operated on or above the ground the relatively low speeds mean
that the weather doesn't cause too many problems.

>Getting automated freight running onto the rail
>network would be a good step in the right direction,

I suggest that one would still need someone on each train, to deal
with anything out of the ordinary [1] that happens. Humans are good
at dealing with the unusual, computers are not so good. Given that
there is someone on the train does it not make sense for them to
drive the train, not the least to give them something to do? This
will also mean that they keep their driving skills up. If they only
drive when the computer goes wrong they may have lost their touch.
Most freight trains have been operated with a driver only for two
decades, so computerising would not save any wages unless the person
on the train could be removed.

These considerations are amongst the reason why the latest
"automated" lines have tended to feature the driver driving the
train, most of the time, with the computer keeping an eye on things.

>though I doubt the unions would like it much.

The railway trade unions, for all their faults, have caused
relatively little trouble as massive changes were made to the
industry. Freight trains were operated with three people in 1970, by
1985 that was one. There have been similar reductions in other
areas, such as signalling staff.

[1] Things out of the ordinary range from the more common but less
dramatic to the very rare but very dramatic. One example of the
former is a driver spotting a large animal on or near the line and
reporting it so that other trains can be cautioned. Another example
is a broken coupling. When this happens the brakes will be
automatically applied on both halves of the train and bring them
both to a stand. However, this could be in the middle of nowhere and
it is very useful to have someone on the train who might be able to
get it going again with minimal delay. An example of the very rare
but very dramatic is a major crash, where designated staff have to
act very quickly to avoid the possibility of another train crashing.

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.

David Hansen wrote:
> Given that
> there is someone on the train does it not make sense for them to
> drive the train, not the least to give them something to do?

Given the experience of the airline industry NO! Despite autopilots
doing almost all the flying these days, 80% of air accidents are still
down to human errors, 20% to mechanical or systems failures.

Airline pilots have long made the "humans are better at dealing with the
unusual" argument but the reality is they cause far more accidents than
they prevent.

--
Tony

Anon

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 10:04:25 +0100 someone who may be Tony Raven
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>Given the experience of the airline industry NO! Despite autopilots
>doing almost all the flying these days, 80% of air accidents are still
>down to human errors, 20% to mechanical or systems failures.

Be careful to compare apples with apples. On a railway an automatic
system includes keeping an eye on what the driver is doing while
driving manually. If they are doing anything the system doesn't like
it stops the train. This is in fact how trains are driven even where
there is no automatic driving system but there is signalling system
supervision, examples include the Channel Tunnel Rail Link and most
trains into and out of London Paddington and Marylebone.

If the system has failed completely then the train can still be
operated, but at a very restricted speed and this is simply to get
it out of the way. These circumstances are all rather different to
things in the aeroplane industry.

While the railways can always learn something from the aeroplane
industry there are a number of examples of arrogantly thinking that
aeroplane engineering and systems are in some way better than
railway ones that have come unstuck when the arrogance was exposed
to the reality of running a railway. An early example was the
original signalling system on BART in California, which "clever"
aeroplane engineers designed for the "less difficult" railway and
which didn't work, for the simple reason that the track circuit
voltage was too low to be detected reliably.

David Hansen wrote:

> Be careful to compare apples with apples. On a railway an automatic
> system includes keeping an eye on what the driver is doing while
> driving manually. If they are doing anything the system doesn't like
> it stops the train. This is in fact how trains are driven even where
> there is no automatic driving system but there is signalling system
> supervision, examples include the Channel Tunnel Rail Link and most
> trains into and out of London Paddington and Marylebone.

Except that system breaks down where the systems don't watch the driver
- such as SPAD's - and then there is all sorts of furor over the need to
put in more systems to stop the drivers mistakes causing accidents.

A basic rule of safety design is to first remove the source of the risk,
not to leave the risk and surround it with protective systems. However
the politics mean that on trains the driver risk cannot easily be
removed so they are buttressed by safety systems to try to prevent them
making mistakes.

--
Tony

Anon

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 20:12:55 +0100, The Nottingham Duck
<[email protected]> wrote:

>So you have to resort to abuse because you can't answer my reply to
>your post.

pkb

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 10:17:33 +0100, Phil Clarke
<[email protected]> wrote:

>>>psychological huh?

>> Yes.You have betrayed your ignorance of the condition by
>> failing to counter my point with any contrary medical data.

>ho hum. By that logic youve betrayed yours by not answering my point,
>unless a "yes" from you constitutes data.

You didn't request any data,unless "psychological huh?" is retard
language for it.

>Dyslexia is neurological. You can get away with calling that
>physiological,

Find an online medical dictionary and check the definition of
physiological-you're obviously unsure by that statement of whether it
correlates with neurological.

> and you can argue that anyone has psychological needs &
>conditions attached to any illness - indeed psychology is used in
>diagnosis & treatment.

Try reading recent research carried out by the Mayo Clinic in the
States.
Research on the symptons of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder in
servicemen revealed many suffering from a non-physical form of
dyslexia,but your quick Google search didn't find this out,as your
absence of any university level education procludes you from
registering with them.

Why didn't you mention the above paragraph before?
Thought you could bluff your way out without hard facts ?

I love it when plebs like yourself try to sound educated,and then get
humiliated when you are challenged.

You write a few wanky programmes that were probably "inspired" by
someone else's software and you think you're Stephen Hawking.

>Im very well read & experienced in this field for a non medical
>practicioner,

So you admit your a brain-doner ?
Got any G.C.S.E.s by any chance ??

You betray yourself as some numpty who watched 'Casualty' and thinks
he's a brain surgeon

>I prefer uk.rec.cycling. Its got a few amusing tw*ts in it. ;)

Well some think they are amusing,but are just tw*ts

On 17 Sep 2005 12:23:39 GMT, Nobody Here <[email protected]>
wrote:

>The Nottingham Duck <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On 16 Sep 2005 21:46:52 GMT, Nobody Here <[email protected]>
>> wrote:

>>>It's the drugs, they make everything clear to him.

>> I'd rather be a druggie than a paedophile.

>Ho, have I suddenly become a paedophile in your addled mind?

I never said you were a paedophile .

Why do you assume I was referring to you ? Guilty conscience ?

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 10:59:00 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I submit that on or about Sat, 17 Sep 2005 01:26:03 +0100, the person
>known to the court as The Nottingham Duck
><[email protected]> made a statement
>(<[email protected]> in Your Honour's bundle)
>to the following effect:
>
>>>As they say in The Shed, "It was a cultural reference to the
>>>wireless-with-pictures, m'lud"

>>But fiction,nonetheless.

>For some values of fiction. A satire about power-crazed politicians
>written by someone who was at the right-hand of a power-crazed
>politician might be thought to be more than just fiction.
>
>Guy

Its still fiction.

The Nottingham Duck wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 22:18:31 +0100, Bertie Wiggins
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 20:12:55 +0100, The Nottingham Duck
> ><[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >>So you have to resort to abuse because you can't answer my reply to
> >>your post.

> >pkb

> pkb ?

indication by a stewing implement that the water boiling apparatus has
become somewhat carbonised.

...d

<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 20:12:55 +0100, The Nottingham Duck
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>So you have to resort to abuse because you can't answer my reply to
>>your post.

>pkb

pkb ?

Also sprach The Nottingham Duck <[email protected]>:
> On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 10:59:00 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> I submit that on or about Sat, 17 Sep 2005 01:26:03 +0100, the person
>> known to the court as The Nottingham Duck
>> <[email protected]> made a statement
>> (<[email protected]> in Your Honour's
>> bundle) to the following effect:

>>> But fiction,nonetheless.

>> For some values of fiction. A satire about power-crazed politicians
>> written by someone who was at the right-hand of a power-crazed
>> politician might be thought to be more than just fiction.
>>
>> Guy

> Its still fiction.

Whether "House Of Cards" is fiction or not is entirely irrelevant to the
point, viz. that while Mr. Duck may believe that Mr. Tony Bliar is not evil,
there are those who do not share this opinion of the worthless arselicking
weasel.

This Unit is a productive Unit.

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 11:21:18 +0100 someone who may be Tony Raven
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>> examples include the Channel Tunnel Rail Link and most
>> trains into and out of London Paddington and Marylebone.

>Except that system breaks down where the systems don't watch the driver

Which is precisely why I bothered to type what I have left above.

>A basic rule of safety design is to first remove the source of the risk,

Easy peasy. Stop the trains running and one removes the source of
the risk.

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 04:23:03 +0100, The Nottingham Duck
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I was making the point that Blair is as bad as Huntley because he is
>responsible for the deaths of innocent children.

What was Huntley's feelings towards the children as he killed them?

What was Blair's feeling towards the children as they were killed?

The answers should give you some clue as to the relative evilness of
the two men.

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 07:08:46 +0100 someone who may be Bertie Wiggins
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>What was Blair's feeling towards the children as they were killed?

I suspect he started trying to convince himself that the only people
being killed were people loyal to Mr Hussein. When that didn't work
he presumably thought that it was a price well worth paying. Now he
seems to be so deluded it is difficult to know if there is any
mental activity between his ears.

Whether that makes him more, less or as evil as Mr Huntly is not an
easy question to answer.

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.