Classic MTB found....and it was free!

maciam

May 30, 2006
My neighbor was going to throw this away...
It is a 1988 Shogun Prairie Breaker Team Issue. I hadn't heard of the make but it seemed to be built well. It has Tange Prestige frame with Shimano Diore XT components all around. It needed some paint touch up/ rust removal and clean up. Now it rides great. The frame is darn lite even compared with todays bikes. I retailed for $900 back in 1988 and was the top of the line MTB back then, at least for Shogun. As you can see by the picture, it is pretty much no frills and shows how far we have come with design. A casual glance at it would suggest a low end MTB, but after riding it most would see different. I am really happy with my FREE find.

It's probably light because it has no front shock.

I'd say donate it to a bike meausum unless you like riding totally rigid bikes.

Anything free is good. Don't know about taking it off road (at least not on really technical stuff) but you could use it to commute or cruise around. I wouldn't go spending a great deal of money trying to upgrade it though. Be better to buy a new bike; that way, you can at least guarantee compatible parts are available.

What's important is that it gives you a good safe ride. The brand, age, style of a bike doesn't really matter to me, what matters is the comfort and enjoyment the bike gives to me. Like you said, it's free and probably only needs minor repairs or a tune up because you said that you've already tried riding it, then that's great news.

What a gem you've stumbled upon! That 1988 Shogun Prairie Breaker Team Issue is a true testament to the craftsmanship of yesteryears. Tange Prestige and Shimano Diore XT components - now that's a classic combination that would make any cycling enthusiast's heart skip a beat.

And let's not forget about the weight of that frame - darn light indeed! It's like holding a feather in your hands, yet sturdy enough to support you on even the toughest trails. A bike like this is a rarity in today's world, where everything is about carbon fiber and flashy designs.

It's a shame that such a beauty was about to be discarded. But thankfully, it found its way to you, and now it's back on the road, where it belongs. So, savor every moment on that bike, and let it take you on many more adventures to come!