Classic newbie, which bike should I buy ?

Discussion in 'Touring and recreational cycling' started by colonel_butt, Jul 20, 2007.

1. colonel_butt

colonel_butt New Member

There are so many makes I am so confused :(

I want a bike for excercise and fun riding.
    I have decided on a hybrid.

I prefer the hybrids that are road bikes with straight handlebars, as they are ligher then the MTB frames with road wheels and components.

I want to spend around £300-£400 but have also been looking in the £500-£700 range to see what the advantages are.

Basically my priorities are:

1. Comfort
    2. Lightness (to enable maximum distance)
    Am not worried about:

3. Durability (as I won't be commuting much or going off-road)
    4. Slick changeing gears (I can live with the low end stuff)
    I have been considering the following:

a. Carrera Gryphon (Halfords brand but made by Merida) 7005 alu non-butted frame. £322 road bike with flat handle bars. Nice but not that light

b. Genesis Day 0 - £350, Day 1 - £450, Day 2 (carbon forks) - £599. Basically they have 6061, 6061 butted, 6066 alu frames respectively.

- Day 2 is super light but not terribly comfortable (seat is a bit small for me. suppose I could put a new seat on)

c. Specialized Sirrus - £399. Very comfortable. Carbon forks (amazing for price). Not that light (but lighter then Gryphon).

d. Bianchi Camaleonte II Sora - £499. Don't know much about this one, but is recommended for being very quick.

There are so many makes its confusing.

I really like the Day 2 (with comfort seat) but its too expensive for me.

The Sirrus is comfortable, but I don't feel I am making such a big advance in terms of weight from my old alu MTB.

What do you think ?

All suggestions gratefully investigated ?

Tags:

2. xilios

xilios New Member

Check out these hybrid bikes from Trek. They make very good bikes at reasonable prices. As far as durabilaty goes, my wife rides the WSD FX 7.2 and has done a few long(ish) fully loaded tours without a problem. As for gearing, sadles, handle bars and all that, since you're buying new you can order any changes you wish on the bike from your LBS.
    www.trekbikes.co.uk/........
    For more details on her bike check out our page.
    cheers

3. ozzyphil

ozzyphil New Member

I do quite a bit of mountain biking but recently started commuting. Was looking at various hybrids but when I went to the shop to buy one they had just taken delivery of the new Giant CRX 1. Had a go and that was it. Great bike. Ive only had it about 6 weeks now but recommend it.

Hope this helps

4. Proteus2000

Proteus2000 New Member

I have just bought a Giant CRX-Zero It is a great bike I love it

Cheers
    Proteus I should add the CRX to my Signature