Classic newbie, which bike should I buy ?

colonel_butt

Jul 20, 2007
There are so many makes I am so confused :(

I want a bike for excercise and fun riding.
I have decided on a hybrid.

I prefer the hybrids that are road bikes with straight handlebars, as they are ligher then the MTB frames with road wheels and components.

I want to spend around £300-£400 but have also been looking in the £500-£700 range to see what the advantages are.

Basically my priorities are:

1. Comfort
2. Lightness (to enable maximum distance)
Am not worried about:

3. Durability (as I won't be commuting much or going off-road)
4. Slick changeing gears (I can live with the low end stuff)
I have been considering the following:

a. Carrera Gryphon (Halfords brand but made by Merida) 7005 alu non-butted frame. £322 road bike with flat handle bars. Nice but not that light

b. Genesis Day 0 - £350, Day 1 - £450, Day 2 (carbon forks) - £599. Basically they have 6061, 6061 butted, 6066 alu frames respectively.

- Day 2 is super light but not terribly comfortable (seat is a bit small for me. suppose I could put a new seat on)

c. Specialized Sirrus - £399. Very comfortable. Carbon forks (amazing for price). Not that light (but lighter then Gryphon).

d. Bianchi Camaleonte II Sora - £499. Don't know much about this one, but is recommended for being very quick.

There are so many makes its confusing.

I really like the Day 2 (with comfort seat) but its too expensive for me.

The Sirrus is comfortable, but I don't feel I am making such a big advance in terms of weight from my old alu MTB.

What do you think ?

All suggestions gratefully investigated ?

Check out these hybrid bikes from Trek. They make very good bikes at reasonable prices. As far as durabilaty goes, my wife rides the WSD FX 7.2 and has done a few long(ish) fully loaded tours without a problem. As for gearing, sadles, handle bars and all that, since you're buying new you can order any changes you wish on the bike from your LBS.
www.trekbikes.co.uk/........
For more details on her bike check out our page.
cheers

I do quite a bit of mountain biking but recently started commuting. Was looking at various hybrids but when I went to the shop to buy one they had just taken delivery of the new Giant CRX 1. Had a go and that was it. Great bike. Ive only had it about 6 weeks now but recommend it.

Hope this helps

ozzyphil said:
I do quite a bit of mountain biking but recently started commuting. Was looking at various hybrids but when I went to the shop to buy one they had just taken delivery of the new Giant CRX 1. Had a go and that was it. Great bike. Ive only had it about 6 weeks now but recommend it.

Hope this helps
I have just bought a Giant CRX-Zero It is a great bike I love it

Cheers
Proteus I should add the CRX to my Signature