Classic team miyata pista 56cm 1984

Discussion in 'All Other Bikes Including Frames' started by jbyke, Jun 13, 2017.

1. jbyke

jbyke New Member

1 Miyata full.jpg 2 full bike front.jpg 3 cro mo sticker.jpg 4 BB sticker.jpg 5 fork crown.jpg 6 bars and front.jpg 7 stem.jpg 8 seat post.jpg 9 turbo rear.jpg 10 front hub dropout.jpg 11 headset.jpg 12 spider.jpg 13 crank arm.jpg 14 rim.jpg 15 tire tread.jpg 16 sticker.jpg 17 pedals.jpg CLASSIC TEAM MIYATA PISTA 56cm 1984 (serial # M578 308), extremely rare
    $2,000
    Montreal, Quebec
    This bike was bought new in 1986 and ridden and raced in the Montreal velodrome from 1986-1989 as winter training - it probably has about 2500-3000kms on it, has never been crashed and has only minor little scratches - it hasn't been ridden or touched since 1991, apart from a yearly cleaning and polishing. :)

Size: 56cm, measured middle bb axle to mid seat crown lug
    Equipment:
    Full Dura Ace 7100 (crank (165), high flange hubs, headset, BB, all original)
    Dura Ace 7400 fluted seat post (came with bike in 1986)
    Dura Ace AX aero stem (came with bike in 1986)
    Araya Aero 1 World Champion tubular rims (original)
    Vittoria Cronometro Servizio Corsa tubulars front and rear (ORIGINAL! tread barely worn - the bike was never ridden outside and only on the Olympic Montreal wood track (RIP))
    BRAND NEW replica turbo saddle, never ridden (original was pulled in 1995 to put on a road bike (RIP!))
    Gears: 50 x 16 (16 is a Suntour. Also includes an extra Dura Ace 49 chainring and a Campagnolo 15 gear)
    I will include, if desired, either Suntour OR Dura Ace 7400 pedals (no DA pic, both toe clips and straps, low profile) View attachment 2239 View attachment 2240 View attachment 2241 View attachment 2239 View attachment 2240 View attachment 2241 4 BB sticker.jpg 5 fork crown.jpg 6 bars and front.jpg 7 stem.jpg 8 seat post.jpg 9 turbo rear.jpg 10 front hub dropout.jpg 11 headset.jpg 12 spider.jpg 13 crank arm.jpg 14 rim.jpg 15 tire tread.jpg 16 sticker.jpg 17 pedals.jpg

Tags:

2. jbyke

jbyke New Member

Sorry for the duplicate photos - I tried deleting 3 duplicates, and instead it added all of them above the text... if any moderators want to fix this, go ahead.

Thanks,
    Jbyke

3. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

Super nice bike, but $2000 for a bike you can't ride anywhere except in a Velodrome? I guess if someone was a collector and wanted to hang a bike on a wall as a picture and doesn't mind spending $2k to do that, then maybe.

I own an 87 Team but it's not a Pista, but it's a very nice bike, and I can ride it without worrying about stopping.

4. jbyke

jbyke New Member

Froze,

Well, a lot of people ride in velodromes, first of all; and second, "fixies" have been infesting the roads for almost a decade now!

But yes, I imagine with this price I am mostly targeting collectors. I am basing the price on other collectible bikes for sale, and the sheer rarity of this bike (In the last 5 years I have only seen one online - sold on eBay for 950USD - but it was only a frame and posted as in "good" condition (some wear and use - visible scratches and dropout paint removed))

If the price is still considered high, everyone is free to make an offer! :)

Cheers,

JByke

5. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

Yes, but there are not a lot of Velodromes in this world, especially the US, there are only three states that have more than one, California which has 4, and Colorado and Texas have two, and only 18 states have one. Do I wish there were more? sure! but the fact is there isn't, and if you're lucky enough to live near one then that's cool, but you don't need a fixie to ride in a velodrome either.

While fixie bikes have become a fad in the last 10 year that's all it is, a fad, and like all fads it will be all but dead in another 10 years, in fact the fixie fad is dying as we speak. In addition there more dangerous as it takes quite a bit of skill to ride one that takes quite a bit of time to get to a higher skill level...assuming you have someone that has a high skill level that can teach you otherwise you may never get to that high level. It is all these "practicing" fixie riders that get into trouble, and serious trouble at that, read these posts: http://forums.roadbikereview.com/fixed-single-speed/riding-fixie-more-dangerous-113006.html For regular street riding they're dangerous to all except the most advanced riders. I know of 4 fixie riders that got seriously injured riding fixie bikes here in Fort Wayne doing delivery service for a sub shop (we don't have a package carrier bike thing here), just in the last 6 months that were in the news, one of those riders has been in the hospital for 2 months and was transferred to an extended care facility where he's been for the last 2 months.

Most state laws require bikes to have brakes, and being able to skid the rear tire without a brake is not considered a brake even though it works like one, but most states don't pursue illegally equipped bikes so it isn't issue. My state requires a bell, do you think I have any bells on any of my bikes? nope, the only bells I see are on kids bikes and Electra bikes, and the cops in town know that the vast majority of bikes are breaking the law by not having bells but they don't care, and in that instance I'm glad they don't care. But there are other equipement laws I wish they would care more about especially lighting, people riding bikes at night with no lights or reflectors either on the bike or on their person riding at night is simply very dangerous, but that's another topic.

6. jbyke

jbyke New Member

Froze,

I agree with everything you say. In fact, I call fixies "Darwin" bikes, and often joke about making that a brand name, with bikes like "origin" and "selection" as models. :^)

...but I am selling a bike!! If you are interested in the bike but don't think it's worth what I'm asking (which is what you seem to be suggesting with your post), then make an offer, by all means!!

However, if you are not interested in buying it, I confess I'm not really sure what your angle is... or of what you are trying to convince me, or why, for that matter...

Cheers,

JByke

7. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

No, I'm not belittling the bike, in fact it's a beautiful bike in rare mint condition, but for me, note I said for me, all I would do with it is frame it and mount it to a wall, and then my wife would divorce me for putting such an object like that on a wall in the house as decor!!! I have a couple of Miyata's, all geared of course, I have an 88 712 and an the 87 Team that I mentioned earlier, so I really appreciate Miyata's, but they're not house decor, they're garage decor hanging from the ceiling with my other bikes that way my wife doesn't divorce me.

I'm sorry if I came across like the bike wasn't worth it, I was just considering the practical side of owning such a bike like that one.

I use to own a 07 Mercian Vincitore Special with long point lugs, it was beautiful, but I sold it, why? Because I was afraid of riding it and watch it get slowly damaged with paint scrapes etc. That seems odd since I've owned new steel lug bikes before and never really cared or worried about those as much as I did for the Mercian, so I sold it to a friend so I don't have to worry about it; the same would be true if I bought your bike to ride! So there's that practicality thing again raising it's ugly head.

8. jbyke

jbyke New Member

Just a little bump, in case there are interested parties who haven't seen this gem. :)

JByke