Claud butler san remo

San Remo GT

Aug 17, 2005
This bike has served me well, especialy when compared to my previous Carerra valour which had infinite problems with the rear wheel, even after an exchange. However, how does it compare to other bikes 2-4 times as expensive? Could I have a higher average speed on another racer or does the price just give you better quality equipment?

San Remo GT said:
This bike has served me well, especialy when compared to my previous Carerra valour which had infinite problems with the rear wheel, even after an exchange. However, how does it compare to other bikes 2-4 times as expensive? Could I have a higher average speed on another racer or does the price just give you better quality equipment?
FOR F**K SAKE!!! I havent even been here in a long time and not a single f***ing reply! As you can see this pisses me off.

I would like an answer to my question please?

A well fitting bike will tend to make you faster than a bike which doesn't fit you well. Otherwise, bikes don't tend to add a lot of speed. In fact, you'd be hard pressed to see the difference in speed, if there were one, on the speedometer during a ride. Generally higher prices tend to get you a production bike that is lighter, maybe more aero, and better equipped (i.e. better quality components). Note that lighter bikes only add a very slight performance benefit even when climbing (by slight I mean nearly minuscule), and aero benefits are small as well.

In my experience bikes of differing weights outfitted with the same or even similar wheels and tires will tend to have the same cruising speeds. The speed/weight online calculators seem to corroborate the same. However marketing fairytails often help rationalize expenses to both ourselves and our spouses. My best race result came on the heaviest bike I ever owned (by 4lbs). But wait, next years model is 50 grams lighter and 5% stiffer!

I will say that my 23mm wide wheels seem to increase my downhill coasting speed, so much so in fact I am often asked about it by riding partners but then usually only in relation to my hub bearing tolerances, tightness, etc. Continental's finding that all thing being equal (except tire pressure), a 23mm wide rim has 18% lower rolling resistance than a 19mm wide rim aligns with my own experience.

Originally Posted by danfoz .

In my experience bikes of differing weights outfitted with the same or even similar wheels and tires will tend to have the same cruising speeds. The speed/weight online calculators seem to corroborate the same. However marketing fairytails often help rationalize expenses to both ourselves and our spouses. My best race result came on the heaviest bike I ever owned (by 4lbs). But wait, next years model is 50 grams lighter and 5% stiffer!

I will say that my 23mm wide wheels seem to increase my downhill coasting speed, so much so in fact I am often asked about it by riding partners but then usually only in relation to my hub bearing tolerances, tightness, etc. Continental's finding that all thing being equal (except tire pressure), a 23mm wide rim has 18% lower rolling resistance than a 19mm wide rim aligns with my own experience.
How does the narrower tyre have a higher rolling resistance? Its bigger and therefore more materiel that physics can push back against in some way.

danfoz said:
In my experience bikes of differing weights outfitted with the same or even similar wheels and tires will tend to have the same cruising speeds. The speed/weight online calculators seem to corroborate the same. However marketing fairytails often help rationalize expenses to both ourselves and our spouses. My best race result came on the heaviest bike I ever owned (by 4lbs). But wait, next years model is 50 grams lighter and 5% stiffer! I will say that my 23mm wide wheels seem to increase my downhill coasting speed, so much so in fact I am often asked about it by riding partners but then usually only in relation to my hub bearing tolerances, tightness, etc. Continental's finding that all thing being equal (except tire pressure), a 23mm wide rim has 18% lower rolling resistance than a 19mm wide rim aligns with my own experience.
I can't see buying anything but wide rims from here on out. I love mine. Not only do they reduce rolling resistance (all else being equal), you can run them at lower pressures because of their bigger air volume and thus gain a bigger contact patch.......which then allows higher corner speeds, which makes descending that much more fun.

Originally Posted by alienator .

I can't see buying anything but wide rims from here on out. I love mine. Not only do they reduce rolling resistance (all else being equal), you can run them at lower pressures because of their bigger air volume and thus gain a bigger contact patch.......which then allows higher corner speeds, which makes descending that much more fun.
Of all the bike goodies I've come across in 3 decades, imo the 2 paradigm shifts came from wide rims and brifters. Even the graduation from toe-clips to clip-ins, while significant, didn't offer as big a step forward as the 2 latter developments in my riding "experience".

San Remo GT said:
How does the narrower tyre have a higher rolling resistance? Its bigger and therefore more materiel that physics can push back against in some way.
Simple: on a narrower tire, the contact patch is narrower and longer at a given pressure, and since tires at a given pressure have the same contact patch size, the narrower tire's tread has to deform more as it passes through the contact patch.

Originally Posted by San Remo GT .

And in conjunction with Alienator's response, faster edit: fatter tires always "rolled" faster than narrower ones, however as most rims back in the day were 19-20mm measured at the brake track, increasing the tire width inevitably compromised speed, not only from the light bulb effect chipping away at aerodynamics, but also from the added weight (relatively miniscule), so there was a point of diminishing return. As manufacturers now understand the benefits of wider rims, they've also started increasing the "aero width" (the widest point of the rim), to accomodate the real world tire choices of most riders so now a 25mm tire can be in a successful aerodynamic marriage to a rim, whereas in days of yore one was limited to the abysmal ride quality of 19-21mm tires. Many reputable rim manufacturers have now increased both the width at the brake track, as well as the aero width.

Wider = faster, improved handling, and more comfort...
ergo Wider = better