Claud Butler San Remo

Srt

Guest
Hi,

Would anyone recommend the Claud Butler San Remo for someone
who is going to use the bike mainly as a method of achieving
fitness and the odd commute to work in the summer months? I
am pretty new to cycling and have only ever had a mountain
bike. All cycling would be on the road.

Regards, Steven

Hi there

I bought a Claud Butler Chinook (the flat handle bar version
of the remo) earlier this year. It was my first bike since
age 16, now 35. I have found it very easy to ride, and have
steadily increased my distance to 22 miles in 1 hour 20
mins, having being totally out of breath having rode 2 miles
on my first trip. However I now feel the need to upgrade to
a "proper" road bike as I endeavor to make regular 50 mile+
rides. Although I belive the Chinook will cope with this,
something inside me say's I need a better quality bike.
Maybe it's the snob in me, I don't know, but I do feel that
the Chinook's days are numbered. My personal stance now is
that, had I known cycling would have become an important
part of my life, I would surely have spent more initially on
a decent road bike.

Regards

Sean B

"SRT" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
>
> Would anyone recommend the Claud Butler San Remo for
> someone who is going
> use the bike mainly as a method of achieving fitness and
> the odd commute
> work in the summer months? I am pretty new to cycling and
> have only ever had a mountain bike. All cycling would be
> on the road.
>
> Regards, Steven

Reply to Buzz
> something inside me say's I need a better quality bike.
> Maybe it's the snob in me, I don't know, but I do feel
> that the Chinook's days are numbered. My personal stance
> now is that, had I known cycling would have become an
> important part of my life, I would surely have spent more
> initially on a decent road bike.

Ho, yus, that's a familiar tale. My hybrid, which I bought a
few years ago for commuting and occasional errands, was
supplanted after a year or so by a touring frame which I
built up with Nice Bits on it, which has lately been
supplanted by a second-hand comfy chair with wheels.

If I'd only known then what I know now, I'd have skipped the
hybrid stage; but I can't imagine myself, not having cycled
since youth, daring to commit the money for the tourer at
the start - let alone the recumbent. And as it is, when the
touring frame was killed by a dozy cow on a roundabout, at
least I still had the hybrid as a temporary replacement.

--
Mark, UK. We hope to hear him swear, we love to hear him
squeak, We like to see him biting fingers in his horny beak.

, had I known cycling would
> > have become an important part of my life, I would surely
> > have spent more initially on a decent road bike.
>
> If I'd only known then what I know now, I'd have skipped
> the hybrid stage; but I can't imagine myself, not having
> cycled since youth, daring to commit the money for the
> tourer at the start

Unless you know now what you will discover about your likes
and needs over the next couple of years I would get
something not too expensive now, perhaps change some bits as
they age (good tyres and saddle, shoes and spd pedals, alloy
handlebars, mudguards and lighting) and it will get better.
Then when its getting older you might have a good idea of
what to spend real money on, and you will still have a
second bike.I like to have one with all the bits on it and
one stripped for lightness.My 225gbp CB dolomite hybrid has
evolved into a very tough useful tourer.It would be good if
the san Remo will take mudguards and a rack because it would
give you a choice of being less filthy later in the year.

TerryJ

> If I'd only known then what I know now, I'd have skipped
> the hybrid stage; but I can't imagine myself, not having
> cycled since youth,

at least I still had the hybrid as a temporary
> replacement.

Unless you know now what you will discover about your like
sand need s over the next 2 yrsI would go for the cheaper
bike now.It will work fine, then as bits age you can replace
them with better(good tyres, saddle, spd pedals and
shoes,alloy handlebars).My 225gbp CB hybrid has evolved into
a tough tourer which, to be honest, does a lot more miles
than the high quality audax bike because it has all the bits
on it and is always ready and capable. Down tube shifters
are old fashioned although I still use them happily.They
take some getting used to.

TerryJ