Claud Butler Strada?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Michael Green, Mar 19, 2005.

  1. Anybody here got one? Wassit like then?

    On another topic I note that the highly regarded CB Milano isn't very
    Italiano anymore. (More like a CB Shanghai) Shame.

    Tags:

  2. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    "Michael Green" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Anybody here got one? Wassit like then?
    >
    > On another topic I note that the highly regarded CB Milano isn't very
    > Italiano anymore. (More like a CB Shanghai) Shame.

    I still reckon cheap Shimano (if that is what it has) is better than cheap
    Campag

  3. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    MartinM wrote:

    > I still reckon cheap Shimano (if that is what it has) is better than
    > cheap Campag

    Why?

    Cheap Campag is actually pretty damn similar to mid-price Campag.

    ~PB

  4. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    "Pete Biggs" <pwrinkledgrape{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > MartinM wrote:
    >
    > > I still reckon cheap Shimano (if that is what it has) is better than
    > > cheap Campag

    > Why?

    only because Xenon has plastic levers. I agree that cheap Shimano is pretty
    nasty too. I' m going for 105 minimum on my next bike, why pay for Shimano
    and get steel chain rings?

  5. Clive George

    Clive George Guest

    "MartinM" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > only because Xenon has plastic levers. I agree that cheap Shimano is

    pretty
    > nasty too. I' m going for 105 minimum on my next bike, why pay for Shimano
    > and get steel chain rings?

    Mirage has plastic levers too, and they seem pretty good. If anything,
    slightly more comfortable than steel. Certainly not flexible or otherwise
    icky.

    I thought the same as you re steel chain rings (I've got a tiagra chainset).
    Then I realised how many times I'd replaced my middle ring over the years...

    cheers,
    clive

  6. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, MartinM
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > "Pete Biggs" <pwrinkledgrape{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> MartinM wrote:
    >>
    >> > I still reckon cheap Shimano (if that is what it has) is better
    >> > than cheap Campag

    >> Why?

    > only because Xenon has plastic levers.

    Record has plastic levers too, these days.
    <URL:http://www.campagnolo.com/groupsets.php?gid=1&cid=13>

    What's your problem?

    ;; MS Windows: A thirty-two bit extension ... to a sixteen bit
    ;; patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a
    ;; four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that
    ;; can't stand one bit of competition -- anonymous

  7. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    > in message <[email protected]>, MartinM
    > ('[email protected]') wrote:
    >

    > > "Pete Biggs" <pwrinkledgrape{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]

    > >> Why?

    > > only because Xenon has plastic levers.

    > Record has plastic levers too, these days.
    > <URL:http://www.campagnolo.com/groupsets.php?gid=1&cid=13>
    >
    > What's your problem?

    not exactly a problem, just a preference. Why is it now OK to fit all
    plastic STI units? to me alloy is the standard equipment one should expect
    on a bike of that sort of spec. If plastic was superior to alloy would they
    not fit it to the upper ranges?

    FWIW the Strada looks Ok for the money IMO

  8. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    MartinM wrote:
    > not exactly a problem, just a preference. Why is it now OK to fit all
    > plastic STI units? to me alloy is the standard equipment one should
    > expect on a bike of that sort of spec. If plastic was superior to
    > alloy would they not fit it to the upper ranges?

    They do, in the form of carbon fibre (as Simon pointed out).

    Isn't the Strada's frame carbon? :)

    ~PB

  9. Simon Brooke

    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > "Simon Brooke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> in message <[email protected]>, MartinM
    >> ('[email protected]') wrote:
    >>
    >> > "Pete Biggs" <pwrinkledgrape{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in
    >> > message news:[email protected]

    >> > only because Xenon has plastic levers.

    >> Record has plastic levers too, these days.
    >> <URL:http://www.campagnolo.com/groupsets.php?gid=1&cid=13>
    >> What's your problem?

    > not exactly a problem, just a preference. Why is it now OK to fit all
    > plastic STI units? to me alloy is the standard equipment one should
    > expect on a bike of that sort of spec. If plastic was superior to
    > alloy would they not fit it to the upper ranges?

    I've just pointed out that they fit it to the _very_ _top_ range - the
    one all the professionals use.

    > FWIW the Strada looks Ok for the money IMO

    That's my opinion, too.

    There's nae Gods, an there's precious few heroes
    but there's plenty on the dole in th Land o th Leal;
    And it's time now, tae sweep the future clear o
    th lies o a past that we know wis never real.

  10. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    Simon Brooke wrote:
    > in message <[email protected]>, MartinM
    > ('[email protected]') wrote:

    If plastic was superior to
    > > alloy would they not fit it to the upper ranges?

    > I've just pointed out that they fit it to the _very_ _top_ range -

    the
    > one all the professionals use.

    at the risk of igniting a Hi-ten vs CrMo type debate, suffice it to say
    that if plastic is now the ideal material for building these components
    then no problem.

    But is the reason for making the bottom end components cheaper not just
    to allow bottom end bikes to be specced cheaper? Take a typical
    Halfords road bike; I was looking at some today. At the top; the 499
    jobby with 105, looked pretty good value. Midway, Tiagra, and near the
    bottom all Tektro and no-name chainset. But the lower spec models all
    had Sora STI's, why? because they cannot source non Shimano or Campag
    STI equipment and everyone wants STI it seems. Unfortunately STI units
    are not the sort of component you can just upgrade because you might as
    well buy a more expensive bike.

  11. And the reason nobody has one? They haven't made any yet! Deliveries to
    LBS in April according to Falcon.

  12. JLB

    JLB Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > And the reason nobody has one? They haven't made any yet! Deliveries to
    > LBS in April according to Falcon.

    That's odd. I saw one in town last weekend. One of the staff at the
    local cinema was wheeling it into the building.

    --
    Joe * If I cannot be free I'll be cheap

  13. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    "JLB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > [email protected] wrote:
    > > And the reason nobody has one? They haven't made any yet! Deliveries to
    > > LBS in April according to Falcon.
    > >

    > That's odd. I saw one in town last weekend. One of the staff at the
    > local cinema was wheeling it into the building.

    but it's not yellow ;-)