cleaned out my guitar today

Ed Chait

Guest
My guitar was all dusty inside and maybe even had some dust bunnies in
there, so I decided to clean it and restore it's tone.

I first tried to vacuum it out, but I couldn't reach everywhere inside with
even my small vacuum.

I remember reading somewhere that you could put a cup or so of dry rice
inside and shake it around, but I didn't want to take a chance on not being
able to get all the grains of rice out and having some funky vibrations from
stray rice.

So, I decided to use my garden hose. I sprayed water in there thoroughly
and you would not believe how much dirt came out!

I got pretty much all of the water out through the soundhole, but what was
left was quickly absorbed by the guitar, so it went very smoothly.

ed

"Ed Chait" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My guitar was all dusty inside and maybe even had some dust bunnies in
> there, so I decided to clean it and restore it's tone.
>
> I first tried to vacuum it out, but I couldn't reach everywhere inside
> with even my small vacuum.
>
> I remember reading somewhere that you could put a cup or so of dry rice
> inside and shake it around, but I didn't want to take a chance on not
> being able to get all the grains of rice out and having some funky
> vibrations from stray rice.
>
> So, I decided to use my garden hose. I sprayed water in there thoroughly
> and you would not believe how much dirt came out!
>
> I got pretty much all of the water out through the soundhole, but what was
> left was quickly absorbed by the guitar, so it went very smoothly.
>
> ed

oops, wrong newsgroup.

ed

But did you oil the strings afterwards?

"Ed Chait" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My guitar was all dusty inside and maybe even had some dust bunnies in
> there, so I decided to clean it and restore it's tone.
>
> I first tried to vacuum it out, but I couldn't reach everywhere inside
> with even my small vacuum.
>
> I remember reading somewhere that you could put a cup or so of dry rice
> inside and shake it around, but I didn't want to take a chance on not
> being able to get all the grains of rice out and having some funky
> vibrations from stray rice.
>
> So, I decided to use my garden hose. I sprayed water in there thoroughly
> and you would not believe how much dirt came out!
>
> I got pretty much all of the water out through the soundhole, but what was
> left was quickly absorbed by the guitar, so it went very smoothly.

"Ed Chait" wrote: (clip) I didn't want to take a chance on not being
> able to get all the grains of rice out and having some funky vibrations
> from stray rice.
>
> So, I decided to use my garden hose. (clip)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Let's see whether I got this right. The risk of having a few grains of rice
inside your guitar was so dire, that, instead, you ran water in there with a
garden hose? The glue didn't soften? The wood didn't swell and warp?
Lucky you!

In article <[email protected]>,

<http://www.lyrics007.com/The%20Beatles%20Lyrics/While%20My%20Guitar%20Gently%20Weeps%20Lyrics.html>

--
Michael Press

"Leo Lichtman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Ed Chait" wrote: (clip) I didn't want to take a chance on not being
>> able to get all the grains of rice out and having some funky vibrations
>> from stray rice.
>>
>> So, I decided to use my garden hose. (clip)

> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Let's see whether I got this right. The risk of having a few grains of
> rice inside your guitar was so dire, that, instead, you ran water in there
> with a garden hose? The glue didn't soften? The wood didn't swell and
> warp? Lucky you!

I didn't even intend to go fishing, and I caught one anyway:).

ed

"Nick Payne" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> But did you oil the strings afterwards?
>
> "Ed Chait" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> My guitar was all dusty inside and maybe even had some dust bunnies in
>> there, so I decided to clean it and restore it's tone.
>>
>> I first tried to vacuum it out, but I couldn't reach everywhere inside
>> with even my small vacuum.
>>
>> I remember reading somewhere that you could put a cup or so of dry rice
>> inside and shake it around, but I didn't want to take a chance on not
>> being able to get all the grains of rice out and having some funky
>> vibrations from stray rice.
>>
>> So, I decided to use my garden hose. I sprayed water in there thoroughly
>> and you would not believe how much dirt came out!
>>
>> I got pretty much all of the water out through the soundhole, but what
>> was left was quickly absorbed by the guitar, so it went very smoothly.

I like to use bacon grease. Only problem is the constant licking from my
dogs makes it hard to stay in tune.

ed

"Ed Chait" wrote: I didn't even intend to go fishing, and I caught one
anyway:).
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Blush.

On Mar 2, 2:33 am, Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
>  "Ed Chait" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > My guitar was all dusty inside and maybe even had some dust bunnies in
> > there, so I decided to clean it and restore it's tone.

> > I first tried to vacuum it out, but I couldn't reach everywhere inside with
> > even my small vacuum.

> > I remember reading somewhere that you could put a cup or so of dry rice
> > inside and shake it around, but I didn't want to take a chance on not being
> > able to get all the grains of rice out and having some funky vibrations from
> > stray rice.

> > So, I decided to use my garden hose.  I sprayed water in there thoroughly
> > and you would not believe how much dirt came out!

> > I got pretty much all of the water out through the soundhole, but what was
> > left was quickly  absorbed by the guitar, so it went very smoothly.

> <http://www.lyrics007.com/The%20Beatles%20Lyrics/While%20My%20Guitar%2...>
>
> --
> Michael Press- Hide quoted text -

Well put.

On Sat, 1 Mar 2008 21:10:56 -0800, "Ed Chait"
<[email protected]> may have said:

>My guitar was all dusty inside and maybe even had some dust bunnies in
>there, so I decided to clean it and restore it's tone.
>
>I first tried to vacuum it out, but I couldn't reach everywhere inside with
>even my small vacuum.
>
>I remember reading somewhere that you could put a cup or so of dry rice
>inside and shake it around, but I didn't want to take a chance on not being
>able to get all the grains of rice out and having some funky vibrations from
>stray rice.
>
>So, I decided to use my garden hose. I sprayed water in there thoroughly
>and you would not believe how much dirt came out!
>
>I got pretty much all of the water out through the soundhole, but what was
>left was quickly absorbed by the guitar, so it went very smoothly.

Dude...you need better lights on that boat, you definitely went up the
wrong channel with that one.

On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 15:14:02 -0600, Werehatrack
<[email protected]> wrote:

>>I got pretty much all of the water out through the soundhole, but what was
>>left was quickly absorbed by the guitar, so it went very smoothly.

>Dude...you need better lights on that boat, you definitely went up the
>wrong channel with that one.

I think he's in a channel full of lots of fish he trolled.