cleaned up by car..what r my rights??

bjc123

Jul 24, 2007
Hi

I feel like I have finally joined the club...been riding for 3 years and had first bingle this morning. coming down hill to taronga park zoo wharf on brand new bike and spot a p plater pulled over on the side about to u turn...he waits and waits then just as im sure im clear....he pulls straight out into the middle of the road...i hit square on. he couldnt have timed it better if he tried. Apart from looking like ive been mugged Im fine but bike is write off (madonne 5). My question is...what are your rights when you are completely not at fault in a collision? Any advice on how to recover cost of bike??? Thanks

you should treat it just like a car accident...cops...police report...possibly lawyers...and let his insurance pay...thats how it is here anyhow...look in your DOT regs...

bjc123 said:
Hi

I feel like I have finally joined the club...been riding for 3 years and had first bingle this morning. coming down hill to taronga park zoo wharf on brand new bike and spot a p plater pulled over on the side about to u turn...he waits and waits then just as im sure im clear....he pulls straight out into the middle of the road...i hit square on. he couldnt have timed it better if he tried. Apart from looking like ive been mugged Im fine but bike is write off (madonne 5). My question is...what are your rights when you are completely not at fault in a collision? Any advice on how to recover cost of bike??? Thanks

This from MASSBUG (Sydney) may be of help in reporting to the police:

Bike_Tipsreportingtopolice.pdf

the correct link in the document to the bikesaint's favourite road rules is:
http://www.massbug.org.au/twiki/pub/MASSBUG/NSWRoadRules/roadrules.pdf

Get at one or better two repair/replacement quotes from LBS(s). Include helmet, damaged clothing and shoes, and accessories. also all medical expenses.

hope you recover quickly

Mike

just happy to hear you are ok, sorry about the bike though. major bummer! good luck and hopefully you will make that idiot pay for the damages!

i got taken out a few weeks ago on my mountain bike. almost the same circumstances, i noted the licence plate & registered a report with the police. no damage to the bike so no repairs needed

2 nights ago i car almost forced me up the gutter & into a street pole, a swift kick to the door & a loud 'TOOL!' thankfully avoided another such incident that would have left me quite busted up