Cleaning a bike chain..

I just remove the chain and put it into an empty two liter soda bottle with a couple of inches of "environmentally friendly" solvent in the bottom of it. Put the cap on the bottle, let it sit for a couple of hours, then shake the @#%! out of it and pull the chain out. It works great. I used to have one of the clip-on chain cleaners and found that it didn't last all that long. This method seems to work just as well. I've never noticed any adverse effects from removing the chain.

I don't know how you guys use those chain cleaner thingies. I had one once, used it a few times, got sick to death of getting **** all over the wheels chainstays, chain rings, aaarrgh, what a mess. Not to mention the degreaser getting in the bearing race. I bought my self a power link for the chain, take off the chain, cassettes, chain rings, guide and tension pulleys chuck 'em in a container with degreaser and pull out an old tooth brush and start scrubbing. Soak everything in hot water after. Hot water evaporates without drying, lube and regrease.:D

similar method , I use a chain cleaning device the gadget that holds the cleaning solution with the brushes inside ,in my case I use diesel fuel as the cleaning agent ,reverse spin for a minute then keeping the chain in tension wipe with non lint rag ie old towel cut into wipers .Then using a paint brush dipped in diesel clean front an rear mechs + jockey wheels then pinpoint lube pivots ,I,m using WD spray lithium at the moment . summer riding light oil spairingly in between links wet weather and winter more frequently but this takes me 10 mins tops .Cons not enviroment friendly , experts may disagree pros I,have been using this method 20 years no problems, speed because its so quick you can do it more frequently . My profile, all weather commuter 5k miles /year ex race Hope this helps somebody.

I've found that whatever solvent is used, it's not as important as getting in there and physically scrubbing between the links and rinsing it all away.

Then dry and re-lube lightly.

You don't need to remove the chain
14.gif

Put some gasoline on a rag and hold it on the chain as you turn it. the gas will cut all the grease and dirt. Then take a candle and hold it to the chain this will protect the chain and deflect all the dirts

Park chain cleaner tool. ~$15 USD at most LBS. Fill it with odorless mineral spirits to the fill line. Run the chain through about 5 times. Wipe with a clean rag. Let dry. Lube chain.

If you want to do a more thorough cleaning, do a Google search for Sheldon Brown's website.

Originally Posted by mpre53 .

Park chain cleaner tool. ~$15 USD at most LBS. Fill it with odorless mineral spirits to the fill line. Run the chain through about 5 times. Wipe with a clean rag. Let dry. Lube chain.

If you want to do a more thorough cleaning, do a Google search for Sheldon Brown's website.
I have a chain cleaner tool from Performance, and use their citrus cleaner with it. But I don't normally use the cleaner unless the chain is full of grit from riding in the rain. Normally, just a re-lube with Prolink is all it needs. Believe a lot depends on where you ride as well. Around here the chain seems to stay fairly clean. The oil will turn black on the outside of the links, but that's just cosmetic. However, when I came back from a week of riding in Colorado, my chain was almost crunchy with grit. It may have worked it's way out after a good re-lube, but cleaning was the quick way to get rid of it.

I use a [spray on] bit of simple green, then warm soapy water and a brush. Rinse, dry, oil, then dry the oil off the chain with a rag.

There is a few good polls in the category "The Bike Café"

"Which Super Hero is the best biker"

And another one to do with Food.

I'm thinking a new poll idea is one on bike chain cleaning methods?