Cleaning a carbon frame

Buckeyes

Dec 17, 2009
Just bought a Bianchi 928 carbon and wanted to know what to use on it that wouldn't break down the integrity of the frame over time. I used citus based cleaner on my MTB but its aluminum and i finish with a silicon based wax. Any ideas on what to use? (theres probably already a thread on this, if so send me the link please)

Buckeyes said:
Just bought a Bianchi 928 carbon and wanted to know what to use on it that wouldn't break down the integrity of the frame over time. I used citus based cleaner on my MTB but its aluminum and i finish with a silicon based wax. Any ideas on what to use? (theres probably already a thread on this, if so send me the link please)

I'm coming from a Motorcycle background that had a lot of carbon. I use Plexus on my madone. It can be bought at motorcycle shops and auto shops like autozone.

Stormsgate said:
I'm coming from a Motorcycle background that had a lot of carbon. I use Plexus on my madone. It can be bought at motorcycle shops and auto shops like autozone.
I forgot to say it will get off oil and grease real easy and does not damge frame. It puts on a protective coat each time you use it and it protects frame from sun rays.

How to clean a bike is about as controversial as it gets, but mild detergent and water is all I use. Have read several places to stay away from alkali cleaners and degreasers because they can be corrosive to aluminum components and hardware.

Also believe that polishes and wax are unnecessary unless the clearcoat finish is damaged and needs to be rubbed out. The CF clearcoat finish is UV resistant and water proof....like modern car paint it will stay shiny for a long time with nothing more than a gentle washing when it starts to look dull.

Above is just what I do. If you believe wax protects the finish, or just enjoy applying wax to your bike and buffing it off, by all means go for it.