Cleaning a frame

cyclebradykp

Aug 19, 2007
Newbie looking for good ideas and tools to keep my frame shiny and clean. My bike is black and silver, so it's easy, my wife's is whie, much harder. any suggestions?

cyclebradykp said:
Newbie looking for good ideas and tools to keep my frame shiny and clean. My bike is black and silver, so it's easy, my wife's is whie, much harder. any suggestions?
I use a shop rag, mist it with WD-40 (entire rag lightly) and wipe the entire frame and wheels and spokes. Works very nice without much effort.

Hideandwatch said:
I use a shop rag, mist it with WD-40 (entire rag lightly) and wipe the entire frame and wheels and spokes. Works very nice without much effort.
will wd-40 be ok on the white frame though? won't it grease it up?

someone at the bike shop recommended pledge

I use a spray on degreaser/cleaning product that I stole from my wife in the kitchen. Chanteclair. I am in Europe, so I do not know if you can get it there.

Before that I always used (for years) dishwasher liquid, and it worked a-ok, FWIW.

cyclebradykp said:
Pledge or automotive car wax might make it easier to clean when it gets dirty. Besides that, wash it when it's dirty and try not to ride through water or sand.

Scotty_Dog said:
Pledge or automotive car wax might make it easier to clean when it gets dirty. Besides that, wash it when it's dirty and try not to ride through water or sand.
so get it nice and clean first, pledge or wax before riding (or occasionally)

Dawn dishwashing detergent is the ultimate cheap, all-purpose, grease-cutting remedy (IMHO). I keep a spray bottle of Dawn & water in my shop. Between more serious cleaning/preventive maintenance events, a quick mist on the grimy surfaces followed by a rubdown with a clean rag, then a fresh water rinse. Fresh teflon based grease or liquid lube on the cables and chain lube as needed and you're done.

cyclebradykp said:
Pledge.

cyclebradykp said:
I don't think there's any reason to use WD-40 for the purpose. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't even let WD-40 come close to any part of the bike unless it's an old beater with rusted-in bolts.

theres this bike specific spray for cleaning frames, i think its silicon based. made by finish line. works good, i use it at work.

cyclebradykp said:

someone at the bike shop recommended pledge
Im not putting but only a light mist on the shop rag, WD-40 is probably one of the greatest cleaners of all time, along with many other uses. My bike is red/white, no problem at all. Try a bit on a shop rag, especially areas where the chain gets the frame dirty, just wipes right off and leaves a brilliant shine with no residue.

pistole said:
- not brain surgery.

- water , sponge , dishwashing liquid.

yup then wipe bike dry, and apply a "quick wax" that you just rub in and buff, no letting dry. The wax will allow dust to be easily wiped off with a soft cloth every so often, to decrease time between actuall washes, increasing cycling time!

OK time for a bike ride! (washed and waxed both road and MTB bikes last night!!!)

simple green and a soft towel. gets the dirt/mud, grease, and whatever else gets on the frame off and puts a nice shine on the bikes. plus makes the basement smell good!