Cleaning a Giordana Jersey

Dario Wolfish

Guest
I just bought a Giordana Jersey and I am unsure how to clean it. The cleaning instructions on the
label seem confusing to me. It is 100% Polyester.

The label says: Hand Wash, Cold Water, No Bleach, Air Dry, Do not Wring, Do not Iron, Dry Clean.

So how do I clean this jersey? Wash it in the sink? What kind of soap? Should I have it dry cleaned?
Seems expensive.

Any clarification is appreciated.

"Dario Wolfish" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I just bought a Giordana Jersey and I am unsure how to clean it. The cleaning instructions on the
> label seem confusing to me. It is 100% Polyester.
>
> The label says: Hand Wash, Cold Water, No Bleach, Air Dry, Do not Wring,
Do
> not Iron, Dry Clean.
>
> So how do I clean this jersey? Wash it in the sink? What kind of soap? Should I have it dry
> cleaned? Seems expensive.
>
> Any clarification is appreciated.

The best way to wash your jersey is by handwashing in a sink with cold water, using Woolite soap.
Rinse well and let dry on a hanger. It will dry pretty quickly. The easiest way to wash your jersey
is in your washing machine, in cold water on the delicate cycle, using a teaspoon of regular clothes
detergent and dry on a hanger. I use about a teaspoon of soap for each piece of cycling clothing I
wash at the same time. (10 pieces + 10 teaspoons, etc.) Don't use any fabric softeners.

Just throw it in the washing machine using the cold water cycle. I've had jerseys become badly sun
faded, I've had them destroyed in crashes, I've just gotten tired of wearing them. I've never lost
one to a washing machine yet.

R / John

"Dario Wolfish" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I just bought a Giordana Jersey and I am unsure how to clean it. The cleaning instructions on the
> label seem confusing to me. It is 100% Polyester.
>
> The label says: Hand Wash, Cold Water, No Bleach, Air Dry, Do not Wring,
Do
> not Iron, Dry Clean.
>
> So how do I clean this jersey? Wash it in the sink? What kind of soap? Should I have it dry
> cleaned? Seems expensive.
>
> Any clarification is appreciated.

>From: "John Carrier"

>Just throw it in the washing machine using the cold water cycle. I've had jerseys become badly sun
>faded, I've had them destroyed in crashes, I've just gotten tired of wearing them. I've never lost
>one to a washing machine yet.

Similar idea, but I've used hot water, after a cold water wash in case of any "bleeding", and
"unscented" soap (e.g. Tide "free"). Don't see any problems from machine washing, since years ago
when some of the old chamois didn't like machines. --Tom Paterson

"Tom Paterson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> >From: "John Carrier"
>
> >Just throw it in the washing machine using the cold water cycle. I've had jerseys become badly
> >sun faded, I've had them destroyed in crashes, I've just gotten tired of wearing them. I've never
> >lost one to a washing machine yet.
>
> Similar idea, but I've used hot water, after a cold water wash in case of any "bleeding", and
> "unscented" soap (e.g. Tide "free"). Don't see any problems from machine washing, since years ago
> when some of the old chamois didn't like machines.

I've always thrown my bike clothes in the washer and dryer, like everything else. I used to air-dry
shorts with real chamois, but I haven't worn those in at least 15 years. Even with washing several
times a week, my bike clothes last several years, longer than my regular clothing. The original
poster said his jersey was all-polyester -- I can't imagine that it's not washer-friendly, unless it
has silkscreeening that might come off, etc.

Matt O.

I agree with Matt- just throw it in with the rest of your laundry. One less thing to worry about.

Gary Smiley <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
> I agree with Matt- just throw it in with the rest of your laundry. One less thing to worry about.

That only works if you do your laundry more often than you ride your bike (or have lots of jerseys).
The simple way to "hand" wash is to drop it in the bottom of your tub when you take a shower. Drop
on a little liquid soap. Squeeze a couple of times. Hang to dry.