Cleaning and Bike maintenance

Filto

Nov 24, 2007
Hey new rider here and just come back from my first ride in the rain. I just wanted to know is there something extra i should do to clean my bike after riding in the wet?
Also just curious as to how often and what sort of self maintenance people are doing on there bikes.
Cheers
smile.gif

Filto said:
Hey new rider here and just come back from my first ride in the rain. I just wanted to know is there something extra i should do to clean my bike after riding in the wet?
Also just curious as to how often and what sort of self maintenance people are doing on there bikes.
Cheers
smile.gif
Do a quick search of this forum - there should be a host of maintenance info on here - has been asked many times before otherwise go here: pretty comprehensive

http://3ringcycles.com/page.cfm?pageID=86

I use Prolink lube in the winter (wet) and lube the chain after every wet ride. I also rise off the bike at least once a week when I am riding and it is wet.

Filto said:
Cheers
smile.gif
If I'm stuck in the rain, I will run a hose (no pressure) over the bike to rinse off the road junk, and then just use a warm bucket of soapy water with a soft scrub brush. rinse, and towel dry. Depending on the lube, you may need to re-apply (in the winter I use Pedros Ice Wax, and apply after every ride), but when I'm using a regular lube , I just make sure to wipe off excess water from the chain, to prevent rusting but I try to resist the urge to relube unless the bike needs it.
Because, I like my bikes to shine, I use either Pedros Bike lust, or if I'm lazy, Armour-All wipes.

It is a good idea to rinse you're bike after riding in the rain. Also I like to do a though cleaning with an environmently safe cleaner like Shaklee's basic h.