Cleaning bike?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by asahitoro, Feb 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. asahitoro

    asahitoro Guest

    What's the safest way to clean your bike of mud and grime? Is there a spray-on solution that I can
    spray on everything(besides the seat, grips, etc.)? Thanks,

    Scott
     
    Tags:


  2. S. Anderson

    S. Anderson Guest

    Well, there's a difference between mud and grime. Mud should be removed with just water. You can use
    a low-pressure hose and a rag to rinse most of that off. Be careful near the bearing seals. I just
    get the majority off and then use a clean rag with Armour All to finish up. Grime is different.
    Usually, most grime can be removed simply by rubbing with a clean rag. A little Armour All does
    wonders here to. There are many different solutions and methods you can use, but the two biggest
    things I see that I wouldn't do are power wash and varsol. Power washing will penetrate many bearing
    seals if you're not careful. IMHO, this is not a great way to clean a bike. Varsol is sometimes
    necessary for some grime, but it will remove everything from your paint. You should wax your paint
    in some way after using varsol. If you have a carbon or bonded bike, I think you should be even more
    careful when it comes to using solvents.

    Cheers,

    Scott..
    --
    Scott Anderson

    <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > What's the safest way to clean your bike of mud and grime? Is there a spray-on solution that I can
    > spray on everything(besides the seat, grips, etc.)? Thanks,
    >
    > Scott
     
  3. asahitoro

    asahitoro Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "S. Anderson" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Well, there's a difference between mud and grime. Mud should be removed with just water. You can
    > use a low-pressure hose and a rag to rinse most of that off. Be careful near the bearing seals. I
    > just get the majority off and then use a clean rag with Armour All to finish up. Grime is
    > different. Usually, most grime can be removed simply by rubbing with a clean rag. A little Armour
    > All does wonders here to. There are many different solutions and methods you can use, but the two
    > biggest things I see that I wouldn't do are power wash and varsol. Power washing will penetrate
    > many bearing seals if you're not careful. IMHO, this is not a great way to clean a bike. Varsol is
    > sometimes necessary for some grime, but it will remove everything from your paint. You should wax
    > your paint in some way after using varsol. If you have a carbon or bonded bike, I think you should
    > be even more careful when it comes to using solvents.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Scott..
    > --
    > Scott Anderson

    Thanks for the input Scott,

    Yeah, the bike is a carbon fiber composite bike so maybe I should stick to some mild soap and water,
    being careful when I rinse around bearings. I can just re lube most of the stuff afterwards. I won't
    do this often but maybe once every few months or after a good, muddy ride.

    Scott
     
  4. I heard that the off road motorcycle riders around my parts spray their bikes with anti-Corrosive
    sprays like 5-56 or similar. It dissolves all mud and grime and if it goes into any bearings it will
    just be for the better. I haven't tried it yet since I have a carbon composite bike and want to find
    out a little more about how carbon reacts to lubricants of this type.

    Any opinions anybody?

    --
    Perre

    Replace the DOTs to reply <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > What's the safest way to clean your bike of mud and grime? Is there a spray-on solution that I can
    > spray on everything(besides the seat, grips, etc.)? Thanks,
    >
    > Scott
     
  5. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > What's the safest way to clean your bike of mud and grime? Is there a spray-on solution that I can
    > spray on everything(besides the seat, grips, etc.)? Thanks,

    I use a soft, long bristle brush of the kind they sell with dustpans. I hose my bike, wet the brush
    and spritz a little cleaner (Simple Green or auto car wash) on the brush. The advantage of this kind
    of brush is it is very fast, getting the spokes, rims, brakes and frame tubes nooks and crannies
    clean quickly. I rinse, bounce the bike and rag dry. The whole process is only a few minutes. If you
    use a low pressure stream to rinse, I wouldn't worry about getting water in the bearings, I never
    have on either my road bikes or MTBs.
     
  6. "Per Elmsäter" wrote:

    > I heard that the off road motorcycle riders around my parts spray their bikes with anti-Corrosive
    > sprays like 5-56 or similar. It dissolves all mud and grime and if it goes into any bearings it
    > will just be for the better. I haven't tried it yet since I have a carbon composite bike and want
    > to find out a little more about how carbon reacts to lubricants of this type.
    >
    > Any opinions anybody?

    I use WD40 on my ice bike. It's a steel frame bike of rather low end blood lines.

    "Grime" in my case represents anything you can have splashed on the bike from the road, along with
    sometimes overflows of white lighning, 30 weight motor oil, ATF fluid, and whatever else is
    convenient to dump on the chain and deraileurs from time to time when the squeaking gets bad.

    This time of year I have no water easily available (for hosing) so the WD40 just gets sprayed
    liberally over everything. Recoat the chain with "something handy" to restart the grime
    buildup process!

    Been working like a charm over a couple winters now.

    SMH
     
  7. Loony

    Loony Guest

    Go to your local auto parts store (Advanced Auto, NAPA, O'Reilly's, etc.) and buy a can of a cleaner
    called "Tuff Stuff". It is distributed by STP. Spray it on, let it set a couple of minutes, and
    lightly spray it off with the garden hose. VOILA`!! It even dries mostly spot free. Try it, you'll
    see... loony <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > What's the safest way to clean your bike of mud and grime? Is there a spray-on solution that I can
    > spray on everything(besides the seat, grips, etc.)? Thanks,
    >
    > Scott
     
  8. asahitoro

    asahitoro Guest

    Thanks for the reply looney,

    Is this stuff safe if I get it on everything(seat, cables, grips, brake pads, etc.)? What about on a
    carbon fiber composite frame?

    Scott

    In article <[email protected]>, "loony" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Go to your local auto parts store (Advanced Auto, NAPA, O'Reilly's, etc.) and buy a can of a
    > cleaner called "Tuff Stuff". It is distributed by STP. Spray it on, let it set a couple of
    > minutes, and lightly spray it off with the garden hose. VOILA`!! It even dries mostly spot free.
    > Try it, you'll see... loony <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > What's the safest way to clean your bike of mud and grime? Is there a spray-on solution that I
    > > can spray on everything(besides the seat, grips, etc.)? Thanks,
    > >
    > > Scott
     
Loading...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Loading...