Cleaning Chain after covered in rain water

YFOIL77

Jul 27, 2006
Hi,

After cycling in the rain, how should the chain be cleaned?

Does it need degreasing, cleaning and then lubricating everytime rain water gets on it?

Thanks

Hiren

YFOIL77 said:
Hi,

After cycling in the rain, how should the chain be cleaned?

Does it need degreasing, cleaning and then lubricating everytime rain water gets on it?

Thanks

Hiren
At risk of bieing shot down, i would say no just dry the water off with a rag and a good rub. only lube the chain when it gets a bit dry. after a bit of experience you will hear the noise of a dry chain. im an mtb rider and i high pressure water blast my chain once a week and dry with compressed air then lube, but dont do that. lol

I just wipe off the excess water then drop some lube into it just to get the moisture out. If it was a particularly messy ride, I'll degrease the whole thing then re-lube it.

graphixgeek said:
I just wipe off the excess water then drop some lube into it just to get the moisture out. If it was a particularly messy ride, I'll degrease the whole thing then re-lube it.
I agree. The only thing to be careful about is getting all the grit off the chain before adding lube, or it will drag that grit into the rollers as its displacing the water. This will lead to premature chain wear. If my chain (and bike) is dirty after a ride, I'll just wash it with dish detergent, a rag, and a hose. Then wipe it down. Then add lube.

John Swanson
www.bikephysics.com

I use a degreaser or brake cleaner in aerosol form (for high pressure) and blow out as much water and sand and grit as I can then relube after every wet ride. I relube with teflon if dry or oil if it looks like rain for the next ride. It would be best to use a chain cleaner. I am a strong believer that its not just the water (rust) that will ruin a chain, cassette and chainrings, but all the grit that was in the water thats now in the rollers, hence why I try to blow it all out. This bike specific degreaser called White Lightning cleaner is amazing, but very expensive. brake cleaner works in a pinch, but really stinks.

First, I try to make sure that my drivetrain is lubed up properly before I go out in the wet. Post ride, I bounce my commuter a couple of times on the floor to get the surface water knocked off. Then I wipe the bike down with a towel and spray the drivetrain with WD-40. That's actually the right use for that product in terms of what it was originally developed to do.

rule62 said:
First, I try to make sure that my drivetrain is lubed up properly before I go out in the wet. Post ride, I bounce my commuter a couple of times on the floor to get the surface water knocked off. Then I wipe the bike down with a towel and spray the drivetrain with WD-40. That's actually the right use for that product in terms of what it was originally developed to do.
But then WD40 will break up the chain oil.

rule62 said:
If that works for you man then cool. I just wanted to point out that solvents like WD-40 and brake cleaner are very thin and disolve grease. So dont get any near the wheel bearings, it will get past the seal and break down the grease.

I wish someone would make a quick release chain.

rule62 said:
WD-40 is a good way to clean a chain, but in no way is it a lube. So if you do use that alone you are doing damage to your chain. You should atleast use a propper chain lube after WD-40.

Well duh...you've still got to lube it again. The WD-40 just does a good job of getting the water out. ;)

The "WD" in WD40 stands for Water Displacer. It's not really a good lubricant and only a fair long term rust preventative.

I'd think it's bad to use WD40 full stop. Once it's in, it'll act as a solvent to any lube you put on. It'll remain destructive for some time to come.

To drive the water out, how about just use some spray-on lube that's usually a lot lighter than those drip on type?

sogood said:
I'd think it's bad to use WD40 full stop. Once it's in, it'll act as a solvent to any lube you put on. It'll remain destructive for some time to come.
+1 on that.

I geuss the method depends on how dirty the rain water splash is on the components. I can't see the problem with hosing the chain down (non high pressure) remove any loose material then wipe dry and relube.
A chain cleaner unit is magic but I would tend to use that more especially after riding in dry dusty conditions where the grit combines with the lube to form a cutting paste. :mad: plus solvent needs to be cleaned out afterwards therefore alot more work.

sogood said:

To drive the water out, how about just use some spray-on lube that's usually a lot lighter than those drip on type?
I't cracks me up how this argument about WD40 always comes up in this forum.
I think it don't realy matter what you do as long as you replace the chain when it gets worn out. its a throw out part and thats all there is too it.

Insaneclimber said:
I't cracks me up how this argument about WD40 always comes up in this forum.
I think it don't realy matter what you do as long as you replace the chain when it gets worn out. its a throw out part and thats all there is too it.
Why do you even bother to lube? Join the throw away bike crusade!

Insaneclimber said:
LMAO

cmon lets have another chain lube argument. ah i mean discussion. im gettin bored:D
I think you are inciting violence on this board! :D

sogood said:
I think you are inciting violence on this board! :D
anyone who knows anything about chains would of course use WD40 and nothing else, WD40 is the only lube to use, it displaces water and prevents rust, and offers superior lubrication properties:p

Insaneclimber said:
anyone who knows anything about chains would of course use WD40 and nothing else, WD40 is the only lube to use, it displaces water and prevents rust, and offers superior lubrication properties:p
Do trolls survive on WD40? :p