Cleaning chamois question

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Chad Waldman, Jun 22, 2003.

  1. Chad Waldman

    Chad Waldman Guest

    I bought a pair of Loius Garneau bib shorts last month that I have worn about 4 times. They have the
    ergo-g chamois inside (http://www.louisgarneau.com/eng/hh2_chamois.asp?catalogue=CE3). After just a
    few washes, the chamois doesn't seem to be as cushioned as it used to be. I wash it with the rest of
    my clothes on the cold cycle and hang dry. Is there any ideas as to why this would happen and if I
    can get the foam cushioning (or whatever they use) to expand again.

    Thanks, Chad

    Tags:

  2. Chad Waldman <[email protected]_no_spam_mail.com> wrote:
    : I bought a pair of Loius Garneau bib shorts last month that I have worn about 4 times. They have
    : the ergo-g chamois inside (http://www.louisgarneau.com/eng/hh2_chamois.asp?catalogue=CE3). After
    : just a few washes, the chamois doesn't seem to be as cushioned as it used to be. I wash it with
    : the rest of my clothes on the cold cycle and hang dry. Is there any ideas as to why this would
    : happen and if I can get the foam cushioning (or whatever they use) to expand again

    Consider that the cushioning has settled because you've been sitting on it. Some foams are more
    prone to collapsing than others. The main function of the chamois is to absorb moisture so that the
    wearer doesn't chaff themself raw. Padding is secondary, but it seems that's what many people buy
    cycling nix for.

    I don't have a solution for your collapsed padding (sorry) but it doesn't seem likely that washing
    alone is the reason. Many of us who have invested serious money in cycling gear wash it separately -
    often by hand - to get maximum value.

    Hope this helps, cheerz, Lynzz

  3. Pat

    Pat Guest

    x-no-archive:yes

    > I bought a pair of Loius Garneau bib shorts last month that I have worn about 4 times. They have
    > the ergo-g chamois inside (http://www.louisgarneau.com/eng/hh2_chamois.asp?catalogue=CE3). After
    > just a few washes, the chamois doesn't seem to be as cushioned as it used to be. I wash it with
    > the rest of my clothes on the cold cycle and hang dry. Is there any ideas as to why this would
    > happen and if I can get the foam cushioning (or whatever they use) to expand again.
    >
    > Thanks, Chad

    Just a hunch, but have you been using fabric softener? That can affect the material adversely. In
    fact, some of my clothes (such as socks) warn against using any type of fabric softeners, so I just
    wash them out by hand.

    Pat

  4. Bernie

    Bernie Guest

    Chad Waldman wrote:

    > I bought a pair of Loius Garneau bib shorts last month that I have worn about 4 times. They have
    > the ergo-g chamois inside (http://www.louisgarneau.com/eng/hh2_chamois.asp?catalogue=CE3). After
    > just a few washes, the chamois doesn't seem to be as cushioned as it used to be. I wash it with
    > the rest of my clothes on the cold cycle and hang dry. Is there any ideas as to why this would
    > happen and if I can get the foam cushioning (or whatever they use) to expand again.
    >
    > Thanks, Chad

    I've been wearing their regular spandex shorts for about 2 years. Bought one pair a couple years
    ago, another last year. They just get machine washed cold in Tide with other sports stuff and hung
    on the shower rail to dry. The only sign of wear after 2 years is the logo is wearing off the leg.
    label says: 80% nylon, 20% Elasthane Chamois outside 100% polyester Inside 100% nylon Guarantees
    exclusive of trim Fabriquee au Canada

    This model costs around $40 CAD, so it is at the low end of this sort of product. Still they do
    stand up well.

    Please believe me when I tell you I do not endorse any labels - this is just a report because you
    posted. I prefer to buy unlabeled unpackaged bulk product when ever I can, and find clothing
    manufacturers to be somewhat absurd regarding what they try to charge, and what they call their
    product in order to make it "unique". Sometimes it is justified eg: "GoreTex", often it is just
    another polyester shirt. Keep Crankin'! Have a good time! Best regards, Bernie