Cleaning Components

cliffhn

Dec 28, 2003
All,

Can some one help recommend what to use to clean the components? What I like to do is to disassemble all my components from the bike, toss it in a bucket, and let it soak.

Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by cliffhn
All,

Can some one help recommend what to use to clean the components? What I like to do is to disassemble all my components from the bike, toss it in a bucket, and let it soak.

Thanks in advance!
Get a maintenance book before you bugger something.Zinn Writes a pretty good one. Otherwise, try www.parktool.com

The secret to this is never let them get that dirty to start with, I find the cleaner you keep them the easier they are to clean, and the beeter they perform and the longer they last. How I do it,
I use a clear like "Muck Off" lightly sprayed over the whole bike, heavy covering to chain, cassette and chain rings, and around brakes.
Then and yes this may shock a lot of you, I use the Jet Wash, the secret here is never aim the jet directly at bearing surfaces, and never get to close to the bike with the nozzle. Sounds drastic but have been cleaning road and MTB's this way for over 10yrs.
Then out comes the hot soapy water and sponge, I use a high quality car shampoo with added wax/polish. I was the whole bike including bar tape, wheels, and again components. I then give the bike a good shake, spin the wheels and turn the cranks this removes excess water.
Next its a liberal coating of GT85 eveywhere, not a single part of the bike is missed, giving the chain a good coating.
At this point a have a cup of tea and just admire my work so far. This allows the lube to do its job, giving the teflon time to adhere to all parts. Now I dry the bike and polish it of use a soft clean cloth every time. (old sweat shirts are best the fleece type being the softest).
Then I use and old towel to completly dry the chain turning the cranks while hold the chain in the towel. Next apply a high quality light chain oil (this makes it easier to clean than using heavy oils, I only use light oil even in winter).
Now I know many of you will think that the spray lube can penetrate bearings and break down the grease, as long as your carefull with not to spray drirectly in to the face of the seals they should do their job.
As I said earlier I used this method for 10yrs or more on all my bikes, this year I have just sold 3 of my bikes a 10yr old Kona Hei Hei, a 7yr old Scott MTB and a 3.5yr old Trek 5500, all bikes were in exceptional contidion for their age and amount of use theve had, this meant I got top price in sales and trade in's and all those who looked at them commented on the A1 conditon.
I reckon I can clean a bike in about 30mins start to finish, so it dosen't take that long as is well worth it, this methos backed up with a good annual service, should give many years reliable service from all your parts.
:)