Cleaning Michelin Pro Race yellow side walls

"Bernard" <bernard@fooderyREM0VE_ME_F!RST.com> wrote in message news:7VXfa.4033$j5.19875@news...

> I trust that guys that don't clean their bikes don't bother cleaning cars
or
> pass the vacuum inside the house? That would not be cool.
>
> Cheers
>

> Bernard

vacum the house? why, i just buy another one everytime the carpet gets dirty.....but then again, i
am not "coooooool"

"Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "Jeff Jones" <[email protected]> wrote
> > As for tyres, I try not to buy light coloured ones, partly for the same reason that I avoid
> > light coloured knicks, which don't even look good on pro's, but that's another topic...
>
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2002/jul02/tdf/?id=stage18/FSmcewen

I noticed when visiting Holland that many bikes were rusty, squeaky, had many loose parts but their
cars were always clean and polished. My car is dirty and full of junk but I baby my bikes. Gus

My brothers,

Au contraire, mes freres. A good, tight vacuum helps ensure better results by sealing in the suction
action. Everyone needs a good sucking every once in awhile. If you need help with your suction, let
me know and I'll help you practice.

Fr. Guido

"JTN" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Bernard" <bernard@fooderyREM0VE_ME_F!RST.com> wrote in message news:7VXfa.4033$j5.19875@news...
> >
> > I trust that guys that don't clean their bikes don't bother cleaning cars
> or
> > pass the vacuum inside the house? That would not be cool.
> >
> > Cheers
> >

> > Bernard
>

> vacum the house? why, i just buy another one everytime the carpet gets dirty.....but then again, i
> am not "coooooool"

"Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "Jeff Jones" <[email protected]> wrote
> > As for tyres, I try not to buy light coloured ones, partly for the same reason that I avoid
> > light coloured knicks, which don't even look good on pro's, but that's another topic...
>
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2002/jul02/tdf/?id=stage18/FSmcewen

LMFAO! Talk about pictures being worth a thousand guffaws! Man, where is that famous European sense
of style when it is needed? Mike

"Michael McMurray" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > "Jeff Jones" <[email protected]> wrote
> > > As for tyres, I try not to buy light coloured ones, partly for the
same
> > > reason that I avoid light coloured knicks, which don't even look good
on
> > > pro's, but that's another topic...
> >
> > http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2002/jul02/tdf/?id=stage18/FSmcewen
>
> LMFAO! Talk about pictures being worth a thousand guffaws! Man, where is that famous European
> sense of style when it is needed?

He's Australian :) Actually I'm glad that our national champion's jersey matches Stuart O'Grady's
green knicks, or we could be in for another year of this. Phil Liggett commented about it at the
Tour Down Under as well.

cheers, Jeff

I guess some folks see their bikes as merely transportation, or machines . . . I was once like
that I guess.

But I've learned to also appreciate that bikes can be beautiful works of art, and deserve to be
appreciated on an aesthetic level. So not only do I clean my bike (including the tires), I also
consider tire colour when buying new tires (those yellow sidewalls looked ghastly on my white LOOK,
so now they're on the black Vitus).

I'd be curious to see what kinds of bikes and gear the "non-washers" ride vs. the "washers".
Probably more Colnagos and De Rosas in the latter group.

I see no large difference between this behavior and folks who armor all the tires on their car after
washing it.

That being said, I use a bit of Dawn in warm water. Keeps my red sidewalls (and the rest of the
bike) looking good.

Jed

Oh, if we're talking about MTBs, mine looks better when the frame and tires are dirty.

jedharrison <[email protected]> writes:
> I'd be curious to see what kinds of bikes and gear the "non-washers" ride
> vs. the "washers". Probably more Colnagos and De Rosas in the latter group.

Landshark.

And I have a wife, kids and a demanding job.

What little free time I have, I ride. I wash the bike when I can, purely for functional reasons.

What a ****-ant thread.

Morgan Fletcher Oakland, CA

Not to worry my son,

I'll clean the yellow off your side walls.

Fr. Guido

Morgan Fletcher <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> jedharrison <[email protected]> writes:
> > I'd be curious to see what kinds of bikes and gear the "non-washers" ride
> > vs. the "washers". Probably more Colnagos and De Rosas in the latter group.
>
> Landshark.
>
> And I have a wife, kids and a demanding job.
>
> What little free time I have, I ride. I wash the bike when I can, purely for functional reasons.
>
> What a ****-ant thread.
>
> Morgan Fletcher Oakland, CA

"MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message

<snip>
> I rode my bike hard, I ride my bike for many hours per week. My bike cost me £3000 (yes I'm in the
> UK), and I'm going to look after it. Cycling is
my
> only real hobby, I get pleasure out of cleaning my bike, and riding a
clean
> bike.
>
> Is that really a problem?

Only if you use yellow tires.
> --
> Mark
> ____________________________
> Practice does not make perfect... Perfect practice makes perfect

Australia is not in Europe.

"Michael McMurray" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > "Jeff Jones" <[email protected]> wrote
> > > As for tyres, I try not to buy light coloured ones, partly for the
same
> > > reason that I avoid light coloured knicks, which don't even look good
on
> > > pro's, but that's another topic...
> >
> > http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2002/jul02/tdf/?id=stage18/FSmcewen
>
> LMFAO! Talk about pictures being worth a thousand guffaws! Man, where is that famous European
> sense of style when it is needed? Mike

"Bernard" <bernard@fooderyREM0VE_ME_F!RST.com> wrote in message

<snip>

> You know, I asked the question about cleaning my yellow wall on this newsgroup, and I got the
> exact answer a good friend who told me, looking
> good on a bike is not cool. Before the frame on my bike got changed (crackling frame) I had a
> small scratch and I was bothered by it. She explained how a new bike or a person that is attire
> too perfectly is not a good thing in the eyes of others!

********! Go ask your Oracle of cycling culture what to do. I am sure she will have just the
right answer.

<snip

Oh yeah, I see your point. (snicker)

"JTN" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Bernard" <bernard@fooderyREM0VE_ME_F!RST.com> wrote in message news:7VXfa.4033$j5.19875@news...
> >
> > I trust that guys that don't clean their bikes don't bother cleaning
cars
> or
> > pass the vacuum inside the house? That would not be cool.
> >
> > Cheers
> >

> > Bernard
>

> vacum the house? why, i just buy another one everytime the carpet gets dirty.....but then again, i
> am not "coooooool"

What color are the tires on your car?

"jedharrison" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I guess some folks see their bikes as merely transportation, or machines .
. .
> I was once like that I guess.
>
> But I've learned to also appreciate that bikes can be beautiful works of
art,
> and deserve to be appreciated on an aesthetic level. So not only do I
clean my
> bike (including the tires), I also consider tire colour when buying new
tires
> (those yellow sidewalls looked ghastly on my white LOOK, so now they're on
the
> black Vitus).
>
> I'd be curious to see what kinds of bikes and gear the "non-washers" ride
vs.
> the "washers". Probably more Colnagos and De Rosas in the latter group.
>
> I see no large difference between this behavior and folks who armor all
the
> tires on their car after washing it.
>
> That being said, I use a bit of Dawn in warm water. Keeps my red
sidewalls
> (and the rest of the bike) looking good.
>
> Jed
>
> Oh, if we're talking about MTBs, mine looks better when the frame and
tires are
> dirty.
>

> Bernard Durand wrote:
>
> > My bike is equiped with Michelin Pro Race with yellow side walls. I was wondering what others
> > uses to clean them when the yellow walls gets
darker
> > with dirt from the road. I have a good idea what I can use, but I fear
the
> > long term effect on the rubber.
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Bernard Durand

Originally posted by Msa
Shultz <[email protected]> wrote in message

There are guys like that in my club...their bikes look a pile of shite. It's not a coincidence either that their the ones who have all the silly mechanical problems such as bolts working loose
etc. A big advantage of regularly cleaning a bike is that you get to spot things that are wrong.

Couldn't agree more, there's nothing more unnerving than sitting on the wheel of someone whose derailleur needs adjusting, or whose chain is as dry as a nun's, but when did you last worry about your safety because someone had dirty tyres......

For the record, my car sits in the street for most of the week so it is now covered with a protective layer of birdshit. My race bike gets cleaned every time I ride it, except for the tyres. My commuting bike gets a drivetrain service when it needs it, but the tyres are all black and dirty looking.