Cleaning - not whitewashing the Grand Tours

cynic

Aug 5, 2006
Discussed before, I know - but after reading this from cyclingheroes I thought I'd throw around some ideas.

"But to come back to Landis & co. Last month i started a thread "For a clean sport", there were quite a few interesting posts but the post died quite fast(too early!). People like Landis, Hamilton didn't do what they did alone. The riders are the ones who get punished, the people behind them continue with new riders as if nothing ever happend and almost nobody talks about them. It's the system which is corrupt and we need to change that system. I would like to see rules as the French cycling federation have or as they had in the Swiss anti-doping project (monthly blood monitoring, parameters of testosteron etc.). I liked the proposal in the For a clean sport thread of an amnestie for banned riders and better controls and substantial harder punishment (paying back price money, lifelong bans etc.). We can discuss the Landis case in the next few years and after it the next one and the one after that etc. etc. But it will bring us nothing, the system has to be changed!"

1. Increased punishment.

1st Offence: 4 year suspension
Mitigating factors:
Full confession – subtract 2 years
Full confession with useful information to aid in further anti-doping improvements or to assist in apprehending other dopers – subtract up to 3 years
Insanity / Vanishing Twin defence – lifetime suspension

2nd Offence: Lifetime suspension

Monetary fines for team management

2. Better, highly detailed athlete profiles updated yearly.

3. More and better timed doping tests.

This would include the introduction of a morning doping test that is much closer to stage start time (delaying the start if necessary) to prevent riders from doping “around” the usual (much earlier) test times and starting dirty but finishing clean.

4. Reduce the “need” to use PED’s.

It has been a multi-decade long gripe that the Grand Tours are too difficult and consequently what's wrong with a little "something" to ease the pain?
Therefore:
Reduce the overall length of the Tour.
Have fewer mountain stages and / or a rest day between each – no back to back hard mountain stages.
Have only one ITT (excluding Prologue).
Ease up on the time limit.

This would help to reduce the “need” to cheat simply to survive, however, it would not have an impact on those that cheat to win.

5. Introduce a “C” sample for retrospective testing purposes.

This would serve the purpose of dissuading dopers from using PED’s that are currently invisible to tests.
Future improved tests would then be able to indict dopers from the past using the current accepted two sample testing procedure.