Cleaning oil off Disc rotors with....?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Westridge, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. Westridge

    Westridge Guest

    OK, so I cleaned the drive train and I've gone and gotten oil on the rear rotor resulting in some
    interesting lack of brake performance this afternoon. Do I have to go out and find that
    reccommended alcohol stuff or can I just use methylated spirits or turpentine or something because
    I've got plenty of that lying around? I mean, I don't want to melt the resin disc pads or anything
    else. But I can't get to an alcohol type shop for a few days....(no alcohol is a hell of a thing in
    many, many ways....)

    Cheers Westie

    Tags:

  2. Jb

    Jb Guest

    Get some "Brake & Contact Cleaner" from a motorcycle shop or automotive supply store.

    JB

  3. Surgius

    Surgius Guest

    Use rubbing alcohol on the rotors, to clean the pads I soaked them in rubbing alcohol for a couple
    seconds and then lit them, that burned off most of the oil. Then boil them for 5 minutes. When they
    cool off and dry they should be as good as new.

    I have also heard good things about 'Simple Green' for cleaning rotors.

    "Westridge" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > OK, so I cleaned the drive train and I've gone and gotten oil on the rear rotor resulting in some
    > interesting lack of brake performance this afternoon. Do I have to go out and find that
    > reccommended alcohol stuff
    or
    > can I just use methylated spirits or turpentine or something because I've got plenty of that lying
    > around? I mean, I don't want to melt the resin disc pads or anything else. But I can't get to an
    > alcohol type shop for a few days....(no alcohol is a hell of a thing in many, many ways....)
    >
    > Cheers Westie

  4. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Read your owners' manual but isopropyl is the recommended cleaner for Hayes discs rotor and pad. It
    is cheap at any drugstore for less than a buck generic brand. Try the burning technique if that
    doesn't work.

    Disc brake cleaner is not meant for Hayes bike pads per their maintainence site.

    Good luck. Bob "Westridge" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > OK, so I cleaned the drive train and I've gone and gotten oil on the rear rotor resulting in some
    > interesting lack of brake performance this afternoon. Do I have to go out and find that
    > reccommended alcohol stuff
    or
    > can I just use methylated spirits or turpentine or something because I've got plenty of that lying
    > around? I mean, I don't want to melt the resin disc pads or anything else. But I can't get to an
    > alcohol type shop for a few days....(no alcohol is a hell of a thing in many, many ways....)
    >
    > Cheers Westie

  5. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > OK, so I cleaned the drive train and I've gone and gotten oil on the rear rotor resulting in some
    > interesting lack of brake performance this afternoon. Do I have to go out and find that
    > reccommended alcohol stuff or can I just use methylated spirits or turpentine or something because
    > I've got plenty of that lying around? I mean, I don't want to melt the resin disc pads or anything
    > else. But I can't get to an alcohol type shop for a few days....(no alcohol is a hell of a thing
    > in many, many ways....)
    >
    > Cheers Westie

    Denatured alcohol from the drug store, you probably have some in your medicine cabinet. Mentholated
    spirits might work so long as there's no film left behind and you don't get it on the pads. Your oil
    contaminated pads are probably ruined however and will need to be replaced. Get after market pads
    from Kool Stop or EBC, the OEM are generally a rip off.
    --
    _________________________

  6. Muddy

    Muddy Guest

    "Westridge" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > OK, so I cleaned the drive train and I've gone and gotten oil on the rear rotor resulting in some
    > interesting lack of brake performance this afternoon. Do I have to go out and find that
    > reccommended alcohol stuff or can I just use methylated spirits or turpentine or something because
    > I've got plenty of that lying around? I mean, I don't want to melt the resin disc pads or anything
    > else. But I can't get to an alcohol type shop for a few days....(no alcohol is a hell of a thing
    > in many, many ways....)
    >
    > Cheers Westie

    I think some alcohol should do the trick, but I'd listen to the others, not me.

    You say you used these pads with oil on them...big mistake, your gonna have to bin them now,
    sorry. But even the slightest grease damages the pads throughout. You know you should never even
    touch the rotor with you bare hands, purely because of the grease on your (clean/dirty) hand will
    affect the pads.

    I must admit, I think when I sprayed my bike with GT85 some spray may have wondered over to the rear
    rotor, I cleaned the rotor as best I can, but I fear I most probably did help it then. I don't see
    as its posible to avoid making contact with it.

    Muddy

  7. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Thu, 5 Dec 2002 00:48:52 +1300, "Westridge" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >OK, so I cleaned the drive train and I've gone and gotten oil on the rear rotor resulting in some
    >interesting lack of brake performance this afternoon. Do I have to go out and find that
    >reccommended alcohol stuff or can I just use methylated spirits or turpentine or something because
    >I've got plenty of that lying around? I mean, I don't want to melt the resin disc pads or anything
    >else. But I can't get to an alcohol type shop for a few days....(no alcohol is a hell of a thing in
    >many, many ways....)
    >
    >Cheers Westie

    Most interesting thread....It's going in the note file.

    :-]

  8. Westridge

    Westridge Guest

    > I wouldn't hesitate to use meths on _the rotors_, but would think twice before using it to clean
    > the pads, as I'm not sure if the
    minerals/chemicals
    > in it would contaminate them further. Clean the rotors with it, wash them with detergent and water
    > afterwards and thoroughly rinse clean, then bung plenty of *mud on the things. Ride and *repeat
    > 'till performance is returned.
    >
    > Should work.
    >
    > Shaun aRe - Works for me.

    Okie Dokie. Will give it a go. I'll try the meths on the rotors first and avoid the disassembly
    needed for the pads as yet. Mud is in no short supply around here so that will be thrown in as well.

    Westie

  9. John Harlow

    John Harlow Guest

    "JB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Get some "Brake & Contact Cleaner" from a motorcycle shop or automotive supply store.

    Hayes documentation says specifically to NOT use this stuff; use isopropyl alcohol instead.

    See what your specific brake manufacturer recommends.

  10. Westridge

    Westridge Guest

    "Muddy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Westridge" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > OK, so I cleaned the drive train and I've gone and gotten oil on the
    rear
    > > rotor resulting in some interesting lack of brake performance this afternoon. Do I have to go
    > > out and find that reccommended alcohol stuff
    or
    > > can I just use methylated spirits or turpentine or something because
    I've
    > > got plenty of that lying around? I mean, I don't want to melt the resin disc pads or anything
    > > else. But I can't get to an alcohol type shop for
    > > few days....(no alcohol is a hell of a thing in many, many ways....)
    > >
    > > Cheers Westie
    >
    > I think some alcohol should do the trick, but I'd listen to the others, not me.
    >
    > You say you used these pads with oil on them...big mistake, your gonna have to bin them now,
    > sorry. But even the slightest grease damages the pads throughout. You know you should never even
    > touch the rotor with you bare hands, purely because of the grease on your (clean/dirty) hand will
    > affect the pads.
    >
    > I must admit, I think when I sprayed my bike with GT85 some spray may have wondered over to the
    > rear rotor, I cleaned the rotor as best I can, but I fear I most probably did help it then. I
    > don't see as its posible to avoid making contact with it.
    >
    > Muddy

    Well, it wasn't much oil. It wasn't like I got a whole can of the stuff over the rotors. Just a bit
    of stuff flicked off as I was brushing the rear cassette clean with a nice old stiff brush and some
    diesel. I have been avoiding touching them.

    Anyway, thankfully it wasn't much because I have gone ahead and done the meths and mud thing and all
    is good. Did take a little bit for the mud to work and it certainly felt strange plastering mud on
    there on purpose... but, hey, it worked. And noe, hopefully, they won't fly apart on me or anything
    despite such bad treatment.

    BTW,FWIW they are Shimano mechanical brake calipers and rotors.

    Westie

  11. DO NOT....it contains a small amount of lubricant to stop the rusting of Car and M'cycle rotors.

  12. > "JB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    >>Get some "Brake & Contact Cleaner" from a motorcycle shop or automotive supply store.

    To wit, Ginger Tosser replied(top-posting, no less):
    > DO NOT....it contains a small amount of lubricant to stop the rusting of Car and M'cycle rotors.

    I've used it plenty of times, with no ill effect... on pads also.

  13. Mike Spence

    Mike Spence Guest

    > > "JB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > >>Get some "Brake & Contact Cleaner" from a motorcycle shop or automotive supply store.
    >

    > To wit, Ginger Tosser replied(top-posting, no less):
    > > DO NOT....it contains a small amount of lubricant to stop the rusting of
    Car
    > > and M'cycle rotors.
    >

    > I've used it plenty of times, with no ill effect... on pads also.

    Some brake cleaner has a lubricant in it and some doesn't. You can get isopropyl alcohol from the
    chemist if you're not sure which brake cleaner to use.

    Mike