Cleaning oil off Disc rotors with....?



Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Westridge

Guest
OK, so I cleaned the drive train and I've gone and gotten oil on the rear rotor resulting in some
interesting lack of brake performance this afternoon. Do I have to go out and find that
reccommended alcohol stuff or can I just use methylated spirits or turpentine or something because
I've got plenty of that lying around? I mean, I don't want to melt the resin disc pads or anything
else. But I can't get to an alcohol type shop for a few days....(no alcohol is a hell of a thing in
many, many ways....)

Cheers Westie
 
J

Jb

Guest
Get some "Brake & Contact Cleaner" from a motorcycle shop or automotive supply store.

JB
 
S

Surgius

Guest
Use rubbing alcohol on the rotors, to clean the pads I soaked them in rubbing alcohol for a couple
seconds and then lit them, that burned off most of the oil. Then boil them for 5 minutes. When they
cool off and dry they should be as good as new.

I have also heard good things about 'Simple Green' for cleaning rotors.

"Westridge" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> OK, so I cleaned the drive train and I've gone and gotten oil on the rear rotor resulting in some
> interesting lack of brake performance this afternoon. Do I have to go out and find that
> reccommended alcohol stuff
or
> can I just use methylated spirits or turpentine or something because I've got plenty of that lying
> around? I mean, I don't want to melt the resin disc pads or anything else. But I can't get to an
> alcohol type shop for a few days....(no alcohol is a hell of a thing in many, many ways....)
>
> Cheers Westie
 
B

Bob

Guest
Read your owners' manual but isopropyl is the recommended cleaner for Hayes discs rotor and pad. It
is cheap at any drugstore for less than a buck generic brand. Try the burning technique if that
doesn't work.

Disc brake cleaner is not meant for Hayes bike pads per their maintainence site.

Good luck. Bob "Westridge" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> OK, so I cleaned the drive train and I've gone and gotten oil on the rear rotor resulting in some
> interesting lack of brake performance this afternoon. Do I have to go out and find that
> reccommended alcohol stuff
or
> can I just use methylated spirits or turpentine or something because I've got plenty of that lying
> around? I mean, I don't want to melt the resin disc pads or anything else. But I can't get to an
> alcohol type shop for a few days....(no alcohol is a hell of a thing in many, many ways....)
>
> Cheers Westie
 
C

Chris Phillipo

Guest
In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> OK, so I cleaned the drive train and I've gone and gotten oil on the rear rotor resulting in some
> interesting lack of brake performance this afternoon. Do I have to go out and find that
> reccommended alcohol stuff or can I just use methylated spirits or turpentine or something because
> I've got plenty of that lying around? I mean, I don't want to melt the resin disc pads or anything
> else. But I can't get to an alcohol type shop for a few days....(no alcohol is a hell of a thing
> in many, many ways....)
>
> Cheers Westie
>
>
>

Denatured alcohol from the drug store, you probably have some in your medicine cabinet. Mentholated
spirits might work so long as there's no film left behind and you don't get it on the pads. Your oil
contaminated pads are probably ruined however and will need to be replaced. Get after market pads
from Kool Stop or EBC, the OEM are generally a rip off.
--
_________________________
Chris Phillipo - Cape Breton, Nova Scotia http://www.ramsays-online.com
 
M

Muddy

Guest
"Westridge" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> OK, so I cleaned the drive train and I've gone and gotten oil on the rear rotor resulting in some
> interesting lack of brake performance this afternoon. Do I have to go out and find that
> reccommended alcohol stuff or can I just use methylated spirits or turpentine or something because
> I've got plenty of that lying around? I mean, I don't want to melt the resin disc pads or anything
> else. But I can't get to an alcohol type shop for a few days....(no alcohol is a hell of a thing
> in many, many ways....)
>
> Cheers Westie

I think some alcohol should do the trick, but I'd listen to the others, not me.

You say you used these pads with oil on them...big mistake, your gonna have to bin them now,
sorry. But even the slightest grease damages the pads throughout. You know you should never even
touch the rotor with you bare hands, purely because of the grease on your (clean/dirty) hand will
affect the pads.

I must admit, I think when I sprayed my bike with GT85 some spray may have wondered over to the rear
rotor, I cleaned the rotor as best I can, but I fear I most probably did help it then. I don't see
as its posible to avoid making contact with it.

Muddy
 
B

Bill Wheeler

Guest
On Thu, 5 Dec 2002 00:48:52 +1300, "Westridge" <[email protected]> wrote:

>OK, so I cleaned the drive train and I've gone and gotten oil on the rear rotor resulting in some
>interesting lack of brake performance this afternoon. Do I have to go out and find that
>reccommended alcohol stuff or can I just use methylated spirits or turpentine or something because
>I've got plenty of that lying around? I mean, I don't want to melt the resin disc pads or anything
>else. But I can't get to an alcohol type shop for a few days....(no alcohol is a hell of a thing in
>many, many ways....)
>
>Cheers Westie
>
Most interesting thread....It's going in the note file.

Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind should
give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
:-]
 
W

Westridge

Guest
> I wouldn't hesitate to use meths on _the rotors_, but would think twice before using it to clean
> the pads, as I'm not sure if the
minerals/chemicals
> in it would contaminate them further. Clean the rotors with it, wash them with detergent and water
> afterwards and thoroughly rinse clean, then bung plenty of *mud on the things. Ride and *repeat
> 'till performance is returned.
>
> Should work.
>
> Shaun aRe - Works for me.

Okie Dokie. Will give it a go. I'll try the meths on the rotors first and avoid the disassembly
needed for the pads as yet. Mud is in no short supply around here so that will be thrown in as well.

Westie
 
J

John Harlow

Guest
"JB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Get some "Brake & Contact Cleaner" from a motorcycle shop or automotive supply store.

Hayes documentation says specifically to NOT use this stuff; use isopropyl alcohol instead.

See what your specific brake manufacturer recommends.
 
W

Westridge

Guest
"Muddy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Westridge" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > OK, so I cleaned the drive train and I've gone and gotten oil on the
rear
> > rotor resulting in some interesting lack of brake performance this afternoon. Do I have to go
> > out and find that reccommended alcohol stuff
or
> > can I just use methylated spirits or turpentine or something because
I've
> > got plenty of that lying around? I mean, I don't want to melt the resin disc pads or anything
> > else. But I can't get to an alcohol type shop for
a
> > few days....(no alcohol is a hell of a thing in many, many ways....)
> >
> > Cheers Westie
>
> I think some alcohol should do the trick, but I'd listen to the others, not me.
>
> You say you used these pads with oil on them...big mistake, your gonna have to bin them now,
> sorry. But even the slightest grease damages the pads throughout. You know you should never even
> touch the rotor with you bare hands, purely because of the grease on your (clean/dirty) hand will
> affect the pads.
>
> I must admit, I think when I sprayed my bike with GT85 some spray may have wondered over to the
> rear rotor, I cleaned the rotor as best I can, but I fear I most probably did help it then. I
> don't see as its posible to avoid making contact with it.
>
> Muddy

Well, it wasn't much oil. It wasn't like I got a whole can of the stuff over the rotors. Just a bit
of stuff flicked off as I was brushing the rear cassette clean with a nice old stiff brush and some
diesel. I have been avoiding touching them.

Anyway, thankfully it wasn't much because I have gone ahead and done the meths and mud thing and all
is good. Did take a little bit for the mud to work and it certainly felt strange plastering mud on
there on purpose... but, hey, it worked. And noe, hopefully, they won't fly apart on me or anything
despite such bad treatment.

BTW,FWIW they are Shimano mechanical brake calipers and rotors.

Westie
 
G

Ginger Tosser

Guest
DO NOT....it contains a small amount of lubricant to stop the rusting of Car and M'cycle rotors.

"JB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Get some "Brake & Contact Cleaner" from a motorcycle shop or automotive supply store.
>
> JB
 
C

Clydesdalemtb

Guest
> "JB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
>>Get some "Brake & Contact Cleaner" from a motorcycle shop or automotive supply store.

To wit, Ginger ****** replied(top-posting, no less):
> DO NOT....it contains a small amount of lubricant to stop the rusting of Car and M'cycle rotors.

I've used it plenty of times, with no ill effect... on pads also.
 
M

Mike Spence

Guest
"ClydesdaleMTB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > "JB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >
> >>Get some "Brake & Contact Cleaner" from a motorcycle shop or automotive supply store.
>
>
> To wit, Ginger ****** replied(top-posting, no less):
> > DO NOT....it contains a small amount of lubricant to stop the rusting of
Car
> > and M'cycle rotors.
>
>
> I've used it plenty of times, with no ill effect... on pads also.
>
Some brake cleaner has a lubricant in it and some doesn't. You can get isopropyl alcohol from the
chemist if you're not sure which brake cleaner to use.

Mike
 
Status
Not open for further replies.