Cleaning platypus hose?

Darren G

Guest
Went to fill up this morning and realised I hadn't cleaned my platy out
since last time and there was this nice white furry stuff on the inside
of the tube.

Anybody got any tips for shifting the mould/mildew?

Luckily I have a 2nd tube that I used today.

--
Darren

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 23:48:29 -0000, Darren G <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Went to fill up this morning and realised I hadn't cleaned my platy out
>since last time and there was this nice white furry stuff on the inside
>of the tube.
>
>Anybody got any tips for shifting the mould/mildew?

I don't think you'll ever get it perfectly clean. The same happened
to mine and I tried the following:

- Soaked it in warm water and jiggled it about for hours. (Shifted
some of the slimey/furry stuff)
- Threaded a thin piece of wire, with a bit of cloth tied round it, as
far up the tube as it would go. Very difficult because of the
l-shaped bend at the end which screws onto the bladder.
- Soaked it in home-brew steriliser overnight.
- Sucked and blew water up and down it hundreds of times. Yuk.

Mine is still discoloured but I don't think there area any solids in
it anymore - and if there are .... well, I know that they are clean!

Judith

Milton`s baby bottle cleaner, works a treat.

"Darren G" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Went to fill up this morning and realised I hadn't cleaned my platy out
> since last time and there was this nice white furry stuff on the inside
> of the tube.
>
> Anybody got any tips for shifting the mould/mildew?
>
> Luckily I have a 2nd tube that I used today.
>
> --
> Darren

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 23:48:29 -0000, Darren G <[email protected]> wrote:

| Went to fill up this morning and realised I hadn't cleaned my platy out
| since last time and there was this nice white furry stuff on the inside
| of the tube.
|
| Anybody got any tips for shifting the mould/mildew?

Throw away the tube and stop looking like an Ijiut.
--
Dave Fawthrop <[email protected]>
Subscribe to uk.net.news.announce. A low volume *civilised* newsgroup

In article <[email protected]>, Dave Fawthrop
<[email protected]> writes
>On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 23:48:29 -0000, Darren G <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>| Went to fill up this morning and realised I hadn't cleaned my platy out
>| since last time and there was this nice white furry stuff on the inside
>| of the tube.
>|
>| Anybody got any tips for shifting the mould/mildew?

long piece of string with a weight on one end to drop through the tube
(or a knot and blow it through the tube) with a small piece of cloth
tied to a loop in the middle. Fiddle with the cloth size until it is a
fairly snug fit and then pull it back and forth through the tube to
clean the gunge out.

As others have said you may like to soak it in a sterilising solution as
well.

>Throw away the tube and stop looking like an Ijiut.

What a sensible and helpful reply - you might want to stop looking like
an idiot yourself.

--

Dominic Sexton
http://www.dscs.demon.co.uk/

wrote:

>Went to fill up this morning and realised I hadn't cleaned my platy out
>since last time and there was this nice white furry stuff on the inside
>of the tube.
>
>Anybody got any tips for shifting the mould/mildew?
>
>Luckily I have a 2nd tube that I used today.

what I do with my camelback is get some cotton thread with
some cotton wool tied on one end and a small screw tied to the other,
drop the screw threw the tube and pull the wad of cotton wool through.
doing this after soaking the tube in hot water for a while will get
the gunk out.

-- Stu --
[FAQ] Write Your Own Operating System
http://www.mega-tokyo.com/osfaq2

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 10:07:40 +0000, Dominic Sexton
<{d-sep03}@dscs.demon.co.uk> wrote:

| What a sensible and helpful reply - you might want to stop looking like
| an idiot yourself.

But I just use a flask, and/or a plastic bottle. 8-O

--
Dave F

> what I do with my camelback

Camelback ....they make a brush on a long wire, that can be used with a
platy.
As this is the time of year for spending, you could get one or drop a
hint to someone.

I used to mess about with threading string to pull cotton wool and
other assorted bits, but I have found the camelback brush to be worth
the money.

Judith points out that the |_ thing on the end of the tube is a
problem, Its best to take this off, as well as the mouthpiece before
cleaning. Maybe Judith has a tube from a diffrent generation of
production from mine, mine comes off OK.

And Dave Fawthrop points out how these tubes make you look like an
ijit, its par for the course, in the hills, funny hats, gaiters, Ron
Hills; may as well have something that serves a purpose.

On 13 Dec 2004 05:04:32 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

>Camelback ....they make a brush on a long wire, that can be used with a
>platy.
>I used to mess about with threading string to pull cotton wool and
>other assorted bits, but I have found the camelback brush to be worth
>the money.

err.. and how do you get the mighty brush down the TUBE...
eesh.

please put up some video of you pushing the camelback brush down the
long blue drinking tube. I wanna see you do it. really.

>Judith points out that the |_ thing on the end of the tube is a
>problem, Its best to take this off, as well as the mouthpiece before
>cleaning. Maybe Judith has a tube from a diffrent generation of
>production from mine, mine comes off OK.

my camelbak hose has the filter adapter kit fitted and makes it
a bit more difficult than popping the mouthpiece on and off.
but since I only ever use filtered water in my CB, i pretty
much dont bother with cleaning it.

-- Stu --
[FAQ] Write Your Own Operating System
http://www.mega-tokyo.com/osfaq2

I noticed that Message-ID:
<[email protected]> from
[email protected] contained the following:

>And Dave Fawthrop points out how these tubes make you look like an
>ijit, its par for the course, in the hills, funny hats, gaiters, Ron
>Hills; may as well have something that serves a purpose.

I like to take a drink from a bottle. It's an excuse to stop or a
reward (..I'll get to the top of this bit then stop for a drink). Could
be just what the ex-smokers among us need. Plus I like the caffeine hit
I get from pepsi max. :)

--
Geoff Berrow (put thecat out to email)
It's only Usenet, no one dies.

When you aren't using the platypus empty it and put it in the freezer. Stops
things growing in it and only takes a few seconds to defrost.

Cheers

Andy

wrote:

>Went to fill up this morning and realised I hadn't cleaned my platy out
>since last time and there was this nice white furry stuff on the inside
>of the tube.
>
>Anybody got any tips for shifting the mould/mildew?

I have a Sigg cleaning kit (same as the Camelbak ones but half the
price), the tune brush works well. But you can get the same thing in
a decent hardware shop for about 99p.

--
York Alpine Club - http://www.yorkalpineclub.org.uk
Recent Photos - http://climbing.me.uk

On 13 Dec 2004 05:04:32 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

>Judith points out that the |_ thing on the end of the tube is a
>problem, Its best to take this off, as well as the mouthpiece before
>cleaning. Maybe Judith has a tube from a diffrent generation of
>production from mine, mine comes off OK.

Mine seems to be welded/glued on. I've wondered about just pulling it
off, but I don't want to introduce a leak.

Anyway, I have my Aldi Hydration Rucksack now!!

Judith

>Mine seems to be welded/glued on. I've wondered about just pulling it
>off, but I don't want to introduce a leak.

I have just gone and had a mooch in my box of toys,
and I see that I have two types of tube and connector
The one I have been using recently, has a clear tube that fits over a
white plastic |_ shaped "thing" that goes into the screw on top.
This can be taken off; the white plastic thing has teeth like notches
around it.
An older one that I have not seen in a while has clear plastic going
into a clear plastic |_ shaped thing that I dont want to pull off.
Looking at it, I have a vague recollection of buying the newer one so
I could clean it more eaily.

Ysgrifennodd "harry" <[email protected]> mewn neges
newyddion:[email protected]...
> Milton`s baby bottle cleaner, works a treat.

I second Harry.
I just found some growth in my hydration bladder, and an overnight soak in
milton (diluted) worked a treat.
It also de fusted me fusty flasks. Now they just smell like new!
It is really good stuff, we used to use the same stuff (only slightly
stronger) to clean industrial food processing plant. If that didn't shift
it, nowt would!

Dave R.

--
www.daveroberts.f2s.com

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 20:37:51 +0000, Carl <[email protected]> wrote:

<Snip platypus cleaning tips>

>An older one that I have not seen in a while has clear plastic going
>into a clear plastic |_ shaped thing that I dont want to pull off.

Yes, that sounds like mine.

I'm happy that mine is "clean enough" now. I'm only filling it with
pond water with sheep wee and agricultural run-off in it!

Judith

On 12/12/04 11:48 pm, in article
[email protected], "Darren G"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Went to fill up this morning and realised I hadn't cleaned my platy out
> since last time and there was this nice white furry stuff on the inside
> of the tube.

It's usually black furry stuff in mine!

--
Andy Howell
Birmingham, UK

"Dafydd Ap Arwyn" <[email protected]> wrote

> I just found some growth in my hydration bladder, and an overnight soak in
> milton (diluted) worked a treat.

Milton, AFAICT by the way, is pretty much the same stuff as basic bleach you
might chuck down your toilet. The active ingredient in bleach is usually
about 5% sodium hypochlorite whereas Milton is 2% hypochlorite with added
salt to make it more stable. For general sterilization of things you could
use 20ml solution of bleach diluted to 1 litre and leave for at least 30
minutes.

Ysgrifennodd "AndyP" <[email protected]> mewn neges
newyddion:[email protected]...
> "Dafydd Ap Arwyn" <[email protected]> wrote
>
>> I just found some growth in my hydration bladder, and an overnight soak
>> in
>> milton (diluted) worked a treat.

> Milton, AFAICT by the way, is pretty much the same stuff as basic bleach
> you
> might chuck down your toilet. The active ingredient in bleach is usually
> about 5% sodium hypochlorite whereas Milton is 2% hypochlorite with added
> salt to make it more stable. For general sterilization of things you
> could
> use 20ml solution of bleach diluted to 1 litre and leave for at least 30
> minutes.

I left mine all night, as i wasn't sure how well it would work. I was ready
to buy a new one anyway.
So i saved myself £15. Im sure that 30mins to an hour would be long enough
for starters tho.

dave.