Cleaning Rim Sidewalls

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by [email protected], Jun 6, 2004.

1. angrydave

angrydave New Member

How is the pawl on the DT hubs? I was considering them as a replacement for my training set, which is Chorus/Open Pro. I like the way they look, but I dont like the coarse ratchet on my Ksyriums, I love the fine tooth, and rapid engagement on my Eurus and Chorus wheels.
    It would be novel to have an all DT wheelset...

2. need11@46

[email protected] New Member

Smooth, but not as smooth as the Zipp hubs. I agree the Mavic ratcheting is coarse. I would compare the DT's favorably to the Campy hubs. My order of preference, ONLY considering the ratcheting and engagement is 1) Zipp, 2-3) DT/AC, 4) Campy and 5) Mavic. However..., based on QUALITY, I would rate them 1-2) DT/Campy, 2) Zipp (the dust cap sits in front of an O-Ring and doesn't stay put - it's kind of cheesy, otherwise, very, very nice), 3-4) AC/Mavic. I am not convinced of AC's reliability yet (Zipp wheel set is too new to tell yet).

If I may, Sapim CX-Ray spokes are really, really nice. All of my wheels are built with this spoke (silver or black). Depending on your weight, you may be able to go a step down in spoke count because of greater tension.

-Wm.

3. angrydave

angrydave New Member

ANy chance of getting a full picture of your wheels? Did you radial lace the front? 3cross rear?

Dave

4. need11@46

Sure. I'll should be able to post tonight. Question; can you give me a tip on how to post larger pictures? I took the previous ones into Photoshop to shrink down the size to match the file size limitation of 104K, but I've seen larger pictures posted on the forum. I'm not sure if I'm preparing the file properly.

I'll post both the all silver Campy Record and all black DT set. The fronts are all 28 spoke 3X and the rears are 32 spoke 3X, except for the AC set. That one is 28 spoke 3X both front and rear. I weight 215 lbs., so I took a chance on the AC rear. So far..., so good.

-Wm.

5. angrydave

angrydave New Member

Depends on what version of PS youre using, but if its recent you can use the "save for web: dialog, and select a size of 700x525 and jpeg high as the settings, that almost always gets me down to around 80K. if there is a lot of data, you may have to adjust the slider to get under 104k, try all the way down to 55%. I just cut this one from 1600 x 1200 and it came out at 102k. Of course if you host it yourself, you can make it as big as you like. :)

BTW I'm using Campy pads, I live in the flatlands, pads last me forever.

Dave

6. need11@46

This is the all black DT 240s/R1.1/Sapim Rear. I will post the silver set next.

-Wm.

BTW: Very nice bike. I don't have an Italian bike in the stable, and your Pinarello is very Italian. How does the Alum/Carbon (rear) ride? Is it any more compliant than an all aluminum frame?

7. angrydave

angrydave New Member

Thanks, I love the Prince. I also have a Galileo, and the Prince is definitely smoother over varied surfaces. The Galileo doesnt buzz or hum, but the Prince just hides the road very well. On the other hand, I can run over a dime and feel it, just not harshly. It's a fantastic frame, the nicest I've ever had. I'm about to send it off to get it painted, so I plan on keeping it for some time yet.

Those black wheels look great. I'm really getting close to getting them I think. Where did you buy yours? Its pretty tough to find a local dealer who handles DT.

8. need11@46

This is the silver set (Campy Record/R1.1/Sapim). The weight is 1582.80 grams bare (719.4g/863.4g). The skewers are 131g/pr.

The DT 240's/R1.1/Sapim set weighs 1488.29 grams bare (678.00g/810.29g). The DT skewers are 117.1g/pr.

The Zipp 95/220's/R1.1/Sapim set weighs 1562 grams bare.

All wheels have Velox rim tape installed.

What do you think? I noticed your sidewalls are awfully clean. Let's see..., flatlands; no braking...; I get it.

9. need11@46

Those black wheels look great. I'm really getting close to getting them I think. Where did you buy yours? Its pretty tough to find a local dealer who handles DT. [/B][/QUOTE]

All my wheels are built by Steve Gravenites of "Gravy Wheels" (www.gravywheels.net). Ask for Julia and tell her the demanding client from Southern California sent you. I have never had a problem with Steve's wheels; ever. They remain straight. Steve and Julia stand behind their work 100%. I'm sure you know of Steve's resume.

Let me know what you decide to do. I hope this information helps you in your decision. Now, let's find a cure to clean dirty sidewalls. If you do opt for the R1.1's, I warned you. Oh, that's right, you never brake. #$%@ mid-westerners!

-Wm.

PS. the American Classic/R1.1/Sapim is the lightest at 1474 grams bare. Remember, they are built 28/28. All of the others are built 28/32. If this helps, I would build all of my wheels with DT 240s' hubs if they only came in a polished silver finish. Lastly, the 240s' ARE very quiet. I checked after I uploaded the picture. As quiet as the Zipp's. Sorry for the mis-information.

-Wm.

10. Skull

Skull New Member

Just changed my B/pads. I now have the "Kool Stop" campag compatible (they also make shimano compatable as well) at the suggestion of a friend. They work really good and keep the rims clean. The back of the pad has a nose like the bow of most large ships, which works wonders on picking up the crap that is placed onto your rim. Same friend also showed me his "Mavic Cleaning Stone" which is made specifically to clean braking surface on rims. Looks very much like the grey part (but darker) of the two toned eraser you used to get. Works a treat and takes next to no time to use it.

11. Albert 50

Albert 50 New Member

2.5 year old thread....Skull the resurrecter :)

12. Skull

Skull New Member

Hey Albert, post the link, as it was not this "Skull" that posted the thread your talking about.

13. creekbruin

creekbruin New Member

Use 120 grit aluminum oxide emery paper on the rim and brake pad and clean the residue off with denatured alcohol using paper towels or cotton towels. I recently bought a Campy Eurus wheelset and had all sorts of noises coming off the new rims. I spoke to my local mechanic who clued me in to the emery paper--in fact he gave me a piece when I went to the shop. It took a leap of faith for me to use the emery paper on a new and expensive wheelset, but it worked like a charm. The object is not to smooth out the rims but simply to remove the crap from the manufacturing process that grabs on the brake pad so once around relatively lightly did the trick. In like manner, once over on the brake pad removes the glazing that develops along with any dirt. Clean the dark residue thoroughly off both pads and rims.

14. Albert 50

Albert 50 New Member

I was only being a smart*rse & put my own words in your quote :D . btw I read the thread & realise that this is a regular occurance, but my rims have never had any pad residue adhere to them :)

15. vadiver

vadiver New Member

I have not used it but:
    Mavic 'Softstone' rim cleaner
    exists.

It looks like an eraser from the pics.

I use simple green and a scotchbright pad about every 500 miles. If I have ridden in the rain, I clean the wheels before they dry with the tires on. Otherwise I take the tires off.

I have not had to work that hard to keep them clean and braking well.