cleaning rims

Sammy B

Guest
Evenin' all...

just got in from another nice cold ride (bloody english climate!) and
noticed my rims need cleaning. I usually use warm soapy water and a scouring
pad for this but it tends to scratch my rims a fir bit so was wondering if
anyone had any other top tips?

I know you can buy mavic cleaining blocks but this seems a bit
excessive...maybe not if they do the job.

Cheers,
Sam

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 03:59:20 +0000 (UTC), "Sammy B"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>just got in from another nice cold ride (bloody english climate!) and
>noticed my rims need cleaning. I usually use warm soapy water and a scouring
>pad for this but it tends to scratch my rims a fir bit so was wondering if
>anyone had any other top tips?
>
>I know you can buy mavic cleaining blocks but this seems a bit
>excessive...maybe not if they do the job.

Yeah, the Mavic specific blocks are expensive, but, you can buy more
or less the same product from regular abrasives type suppliers for
much less money.

http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/acatalog/...acatalog/Polishing_Equipment.html&CatalogBody

Garryflex blocks, at the bottom of the page, £3.95 a throw. I *think*
the medium grade are the same type as the Mavic branded ones, but you
may want to check that.

Garryflex are pretty common I think, you could probably find a local
supplier and avoid postage costs.

--

Call me "Bob"

"More oneness, less categories,
Open hearts, no strategies"

> just got in from another nice cold ride (bloody english climate!) and
> noticed my rims need cleaning. I usually use warm soapy water and a scouring
> pad for this but it tends to scratch my rims a fair bit so was wondering if
> anyone had any other top tips?

As far as I am concerned this is still the best way to cut the ****
from your rims. A plastic scourer won't have anything like the effect
that the brake blocks will have.

Try using one of those dishwashing pads that have a sponge and a rough
pad but wait till you (ore hopefully someone else) has done the dishes
with it a few times. This will soften it up nicely.

Robert

in message <[email protected]>, Sammy B
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Evenin' all...
>
> just got in from another nice cold ride (bloody english climate!) and
> noticed my rims need cleaning. I usually use warm soapy water and a
> scouring pad for this but it tends to scratch my rims a fir bit so was
> wondering if anyone had any other top tips?

I use a car-wash brush (long, soft bristles) and plenty of water for
cleaning my bikes; nothing special for the brake tracks except very
occasionally a wipe over with meths which deals with any greasy bits.

;; When your hammer is C++, everything begins to look like a thumb.

Sammy B wrote:
> just got in from another nice cold ride (bloody english climate!) and
> noticed my rims need cleaning. I usually use warm soapy water and a scouring
> pad for this but it tends to scratch my rims a fir bit so was wondering if
> anyone had any other top tips?

Warm soapy water and a J-cloth. It's always worked for me.