Cleaning (Spin off from: Everybody should have one)

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Ctg, May 4, 2003.

  1. Ctg

    Ctg Guest

    So I'm still a relative newbie to the bike thing, it's been about 3-4 years since I started riding
    regularly. When I started I got real compulsive with the cleaning, striping everything down,
    degreasing, regreasing, etc... Long story short, don't really clean much of anything anymore, just
    hose off and wipe down the moving parts, check for cracks occasionally but I really don't clean it
    much anymore. I haven't noticed a huge change in the way it performs. The only problem I had with
    dirt is clay-mud ripping off a derailer mid ride but that happened in the middle of a ride.

    So what's the consesus, is cleaning really all that necessary? Besides making sure the moving
    parts are hosed off occasionally and everything is lubed what harm is a little dirt going to do?
    Like I said, I stil consider myself pretty new to the sport but some of the cleaning described
    here sounds a bit OC.

    Chris

    Tags:

  2. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    "ctg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > So I'm still a relative newbie to the bike thing, it's been about 3-4 years since I started riding
    > regularly. When I started I got real compulsive with the cleaning, striping everything down,
    > degreasing, regreasing, etc... Long story short, don't really clean much of anything anymore, just
    > hose off and wipe down the moving parts, check for cracks occasionally but I really don't clean it
    > much anymore. I haven't noticed a huge change in the way it performs. The only problem I had with
    > dirt is clay-mud ripping off a derailer mid ride but that happened in the middle of a ride.
    >
    > So what's the consesus, is cleaning really all that necessary? Besides making sure the moving
    > parts are hosed off occasionally and everything is lubed what harm is a little dirt going to do?
    > Like I said, I stil consider myself pretty new to the sport but some of the cleaning described
    > here sounds a bit OC.
    >
    > Chris

    I think I've only been riding 3 years and went thru the same thing you did; stripping and cleaning
    everything. Now I pretty much just leave it alone as long as everything is running fine, which it
    usually is. I'll squirt some Clean Streak on the drivetrain to relube it, but I hose down and wash
    the entire bike maybe once every 6-8 weeks, if that.

    But, then again, I've also replaced almost every component on bike to heavy duty maintenance
    free stuff.
    --
    Slacker

  3. Dick

    Dick Guest

    ctg wrote:
    > So I'm still a relative newbie to the bike thing, it's been about 3-4 years since I started riding
    > regularly. When I started I got real compulsive with the cleaning, striping everything down,
    > degreasing, regreasing, etc... Long story short, don't really clean much of anything anymore, just
    > hose off and wipe down the moving parts, check for cracks occasionally but I really don't clean it
    > much anymore. I haven't noticed a huge change in the way it performs. The only problem I had with
    > dirt is clay-mud ripping off a derailer mid ride but that happened in the middle of a ride.
    >
    > So what's the consesus, is cleaning really all that necessary? Besides making sure the moving
    > parts are hosed off occasionally and everything is lubed what harm is a little dirt going to do?
    > Like I said, I stil consider myself pretty new to the sport but some of the cleaning described
    > here sounds a bit OC.
    >
    > Chris

    I went throught the same process and got over it after about 3 years. Every winter I'll give it a
    good going over but thats about it. The only reason i even hose it down is because I store it
    inside. I would rather just spend money on more durable parts, it seems they'll take a lot more
    abuse and demand less TLC.

  4. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "ctg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > So I'm still a relative newbie to the bike thing, it's been about 3-4
    years
    > since I started riding regularly. When I started I got real compulsive
    with
    > the cleaning, striping everything down, degreasing, regreasing, etc...
    Long
    > story short, don't really clean much of anything anymore, just hose off
    and
    > wipe down the moving parts, check for cracks occasionally but I really
    don't
    > clean it much anymore. I haven't noticed a huge change in the way it performs. The only
    > problem I had with dirt is clay-mud ripping off a derailer mid ride but that happened in the
    > middle of a ride.
    >
    > So what's the consesus, is cleaning really all that necessary? Besides making sure the moving
    > parts are hosed off occasionally and everything is lubed what harm is a little dirt going to do?
    > Like I said, I stil consider myself pretty new to the sport but some of the cleaning described
    > here sounds a bit OC.
    >
    > Chris

    Hehehe..after reading yours and the other posts I have to say the same for
    me. The parts last just about as long with neglect as with OC cleaning. I've also come to believe
    water and degreasers can get in where you don't want them and do more damage than if you just
    left the dirt to fall off on it's own.

    Mike