cleaning the chainring / cassette with a steam-cleaner

noamporat

Dec 16, 2003
Hi,
Do you think cleaning the chainring / cassette with a steam-cleaner is a good idea ? it seems like a fast 'n easy way unless steam can get into the bearings..
thanks.

Do I think it's a good idea? Not really . . . for the reason that you highlighted: greased bearings. If you're careful, though--especially if you're using any kind of real pressure--you should be ok . . . I would think.

neil0502 said:
Do I think it's a good idea? Not really . . . for the reason that you highlighted: greased bearings. If you're careful, though--especially if you're using any kind of real pressure--you should be ok . . . I would think.

Steam is water, water is bad (ya know, that rust thang).

Its worse than using a garden hose because of pressure and mole size...steam will infiltrate your bearings. Either dry rag everything clean or use mineral spirits..or some penetrant...but even keep that stuff away from your bearings.

noamporat said:
Hi,
Do you think cleaning the chainring / cassette with a steam-cleaner is a good idea ? it seems like a fast 'n easy way unless steam can get into the bearings..

if you want to use the steam cleaner then remove the parts and blast away. they'll be super clean after. however, the pressure will force grit into the bearings if they are left on the bike.

have fun

bob

noamporat said:
Hi,
thanks.

DON¨T nor use a pressure wash as water gets into a lot of places it shouldn´t ( that´s true of cars and motorbikes as well )