Cleaning Trek 5.2 Pilot carbon fiber

jjiam25

Jun 29, 2005
What have you guys found to be the best way to clean the carbon fiber? Like any compounds or just plain ole sooap and water, im just kinda scared to ruin the carbon fiber, you hear of how fragile but strong it is.

Go to your LBS and see what they have for bike cleaning chemicals/substances. They'll have something good to use because they probably use something good in their shop. I don't think the frame material really matters.

Carbon parts are always coated in a thick clear coat to protect the fibers from mechanical damage. With that in mind, keep the petrochemicals and solvents away from it. They'll attack the clear coat and (if allowed to penetrate far enough) the resin holding the carbon fiber together. Not good.

Other than that, you should be okay to have at 'er with soap and water. Personally, I like to use dish soap, a rag, and a hose.

John Swanson

jjiam25 said:
What have you guys found to be the best way to clean the carbon fiber? Like any compounds or just plain ole sooap and water, im just kinda scared to ruin the carbon fiber, you hear of how fragile but strong it is.

jjiam25 said:
Finish line pro-detailer, I use it on all parts of my Giant TCR Advanced Team composite bike, including the tires and rims.

http://www.finishlineusa.com/products/pro-detailer.htm

the owner's manual supplement that came with my Cannondale Synapse Carbon 2 recommends "any mild detergent, like dish soap" (...and water, obviously).