cleaninig and lubing

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by njroadie, Jul 25, 2004.

1. njroadie

njroadie New Member

how often do you guys wash your bike and relube cables and chain?

Tags:

2. eric_the_red

eric_the_red New Member

Drivetrain gets cleaned and relubed weekly, or sooner I ride in the rain. Frame and such gets washed when it looks dirty, usually every 2 to 3 weeks. Cables get lubed about twice a year, or so.

3. izzodesh

izzodesh New Member

supposed to lube every ride...but i dont 8(

4. descends411

descends411 New Member

No need to lube every ride (unless it's raining or otherwise crappy conditions). It is a good idea, however, to wipe the chain off with a dry rag after every ride. This removes residual dirt and drastically improves the life of your chain.

Degrease and re-lube once weekly (w/ citrus degreaser or simple green on a rag, running the chain through the rag).

I do the full chain-break and soak in acetone twice yearly - once at beginning and end of season (I ride during the winter on a trainer, but the lube also keeps the chain healthy even if you don't use the bike).

The truth is, the only lube the chain really needs is deep within the links, and rarely gets worked out or removed. The chain also needs much less lube than most riders think - basically just a thin sheen between moving metal parts