Clear Channel Hate Groups

Status
Not open for further replies.

DiabloScott

May 15, 2003
This issue keeps coming up in multiple formums and usenet groups from anonymous posters or new names - almost like spam, out of proportion to the real threat which makes me think there's some kind of Clear Channel hate group out there that propogates these messages all over the internet. There is a lot of anti-Clear Channel sentiment in the broadcasting industry because they own so many stations and are squeezing out local stations - even faking that they are local stations themselves in some cases.

Anyone aware of any other non-cycling newsgroups that are being bombarded by these kinds of posts? Or is it just us?

"DiabloScott" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> This issue keeps coming up in multiple formums and usenet groups from anonymous posters or new
> names - almost like spam, out of proportion to the real threat which makes me think there's some
> kind of Clear Channel hate group out there that propogates these messages all over the internet.
> There is a lot of anti-Clear Channel sentiment in the broadcasting industry because they own so
> many stations and are squeezing out local stations - even faking that they are local stations
> themselves in some cases.
>
> Anyone aware of any other non-cycling newsgroups that are being bombarded by these kinds of posts?
> Or is it just us?
>

This is copied from my email inbox this morning. I suspect the uproar is legitimate. From what I
gather, it originates because the CC broadcasts have aired programs with content directly inciting
people to run bicyclists off the road. I have snipped the orginally posted email addresses for their
privacy (you know, all that privacy we love on the Internet):

As many may be aware, local drive-time radio stations in Cleveland, Houston, and Raleigh--all owned
by the conglomerate Clear Channel Communications--have aired multiple call-in broadcasts in recent
months in which motorists were encouraged to physically attack cyclists on roadways. After each
incident, local cycling communities effectively used the situation to eventually get managers at the
offending station to agree to promote cycling and harmonious road sharing locally. Many cyclists
have also complained to the FCC, and even LAB has gotten involved.

A leading Cleveland advocate and bike shop owner is now pushing Clear Channel to undertake a
nationwide share the road campaign. Her message below describes how you can assist this effort.

Virginia Bicycling Federation

PO Box 5621, Arlington VA 22205

http://vabike.org

-----Original Message-----

Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2003 13:30:27 -0800

Subject: Clear Channel vs. Bicyclists

To the dozens of people who e-mailed me about the most recent Clear Channel article,

Thank you for taking the time to contact me! Many of you asked how you can help. Here's how you can
make a difference:

There are two groups of negotiators scheduled to meet with Clear Channel executives this week. We
are hoping to get them to agree to a number of things, the most important being a nationwide "Share
the Road" campaign to launch next spring.

Please send an e-mail (between now and Friday, Nov 8) protesting Clear Channel's broadcasting of
anti-bicycle programs to:

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

This is the final sprint to the finish. Alot rests on the next few days.

This is when the bicycling community can take a stand and make a difference.

Your e-mail does not need to be lengthy or detailed. Communicating the basic message that bicyclists
will not tolerate this type of programming is what is important.

If you have friends or family who also agree that Clear Channel should not promote violence against
bicyclists, forward this to them.

"James Calivar" <[email protected]> wrote in message >
>
> As many may be aware, local drive-time radio stations in Cleveland, Houston, and Raleigh--all
> owned by the conglomerate Clear Channel Communications--have aired multiple call-in broadcasts in
> recent months in which motorists were encouraged to physically attack cyclists on roadways.

I don't understand why this always gets overlooked, but this first happened in San Jose at KSJO
(another Clear Channel station). DJ's Kramer and Twitch pulled the same stunt a couple of years ago
and were fired for it.

I'm not normally a paraniod conspiracy theory type, but I often wonder if Clear Channel
doesn't promote this to get ratings and attention and then just shuffles the DJ's around to
some other market.

Kevin Metcalfe [email protected]

Kevin Metcalfe <[email protected]> wrote:
> "James Calivar" <[email protected]> wrote in message >
>>
>> As many may be aware, local drive-time radio stations in Cleveland, Houston, and Raleigh--all
>> owned by the conglomerate Clear Channel Communications--have aired multiple call-in broadcasts in
>> recent months in which motorists were encouraged to physically attack cyclists on roadways.

> I don't understand why this always gets overlooked, but this first happened in San Jose at KSJO
> (another Clear Channel station). DJ's Kramer and Twitch pulled the same stunt a couple of years
> ago and were fired for it.

They went on to WKRK Dee-troit, a Viacom member and now to FL, where they will be truly appreciated.
Viacom was recently fined $350K for turning the Holy See's office center on 5th Avenue into a
brothel. The participants were left to god. One of them is now dead...

> I'm not normally a paraniod conspiracy theory type, but I often wonder if Clear Channel
> doesn't promote this to get ratings and attention and then just shuffles the DJ's around to
> some other market.

> Kevin Metcalfe [email protected]

"James Calivar" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

>
> If you have friends or family who also agree that Clear Channel should not promote violence
> against bicyclists, forward this to them.

Hey, I have been attacked twice by commuter cyclists, in both cases for refusing to get off the bike
path to let them pass (I was on a bicycle in one case, and roller skates in the second). My wife, as
a pedestrian, was knocked unconscious by another, who fled the scene. One way or another, they
should learn that they don't own the road.

-ilan

> I don't understand why this always gets overlooked, but this first happened in San Jose at KSJO
> (another Clear Channel station). DJ's Kramer and Twitch pulled the same stunt a couple of years
> ago and were fired for it.
>
> I'm not normally a paraniod conspiracy theory type, but I often wonder if Clear Channel
> doesn't promote this to get ratings and attention and then just shuffles the DJ's around to
> some other market.
>
> Kevin Metcalfe [email protected]

It could be that Mr. Mays is a sick, twisted redneck from south Texas who just doesn't give a ****
about cyclist?

We can only hope that one day he gets hit by a car while changing a flat tire.

Ilan Vardi wrote:
>
> "James Calivar" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>
> >
> > If you have friends or family who also agree that Clear Channel should not promote violence
> > against bicyclists, forward this to them.
>
> Hey, I have been attacked twice by commuter cyclists, in both cases for refusing to get off the
> bike path to let them pass (I was on a bicycle in one case, and roller skates in the second). My
> wife, as a pedestrian, was knocked unconscious by another, who fled the scene. One way or another,
> they should learn that they don't own the road.

Dumbass,

I'm sorry about that bad experience, but.....

No matter how rude or wrong, cyclists don't normally kill people out on the road. Motor vehicle
drivers kill and maim on a daily basis.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/local/news/29ate_b3.html "SANTA ROSA

Hit-and-run victim identified

A bicyclist killed over the weekend by a hit-and-run driver in Santa Rosa was identified Tuesday as
Burl Mull.

Mull, 44, was riding along Barnes Road on Sunday evening when he was struck by a pickup.

CHP officers are looking for a Ford F-150, possibly red or white, which could have damage to its
front and right side, one working headlight and a missing rearview mirror.

Mull had lived in Sonoma County for about five years, but coroner's investigators didn't have an
exact address and said he could have been a transient, Sgt. Will Wallman said.

-- Randi Rossmann"

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/opinion/letters/19lettsprerung.html "Hit and run EDITOR: To the person
who hit and injured my son on his bike at the intersection of Hoen Avenue and Cypress Way on Oct.
13, for your information he was not OK. We spent the night in the emergency room.

Your choice to leave my son bleeding and confused to save yourself is appalling to me. Leaving an
accident scene without giving any information is considered a hit and run.

We have filed a police report. Do the right thing.

RICHARD ILLIA

Santa Rosa"

http://www.rossdillon.com/ "Since Ross was hurt, the second or third question we are asked by those
who hear Ross's story is: "What is going to happen to the driver?" We have not had a good answer to
that question, indeed we still do not. But recently we spoke with an assistant District Attorney for
Sonoma County who explained the law as it applies to Ross's case.

Had Ross not survived his injuries, the District Attorney could have prosecuted the driver for
manslaughter since she drove off the road for no apparent reason and struck him in a marked bike
lane. However, the law will not permit, and the District Attorney will not prosecute, any criminal
offense for grave bodily injury under the same facts. Because Ross survived, the only other charge
with which to prosecute the driver is reckless driving with bodily injury.

The position of the District Attorney's office is that failing to see a bicyclist, driving off
the road, and plowing into someone is not reckless.The California Legislature would have to
modify the Penal Code sections defining recklessness in order to support criminal prosecution in
a case like Ross's.

To us, this means that the law offers no protection from inattentive, incompetent divers - not for
bicyclists obeying the rules of the road, not for children walking to school, not for anyone else in
the path of an oncoming vehicle.

Obviously, this is unacceptable.

If you are as outraged as we are that the kind of catastrophic injuries Ross has suffered goes
unpunished in our legal system, we would encourage you to take action. Write the Sonoma Country
District Attorney. Write your representative in the California Legislature. Write your local
newspaper or email your discussion group. We have absolutely nothing to lose."

On 4 Nov 2003 09:08:41 -0800, [email protected] (Ilan Vardi) wrote:

>Hey, I have been attacked twice by commuter cyclists, in both cases for refusing to get off the
>bike path to let them pass (I was on a bicycle in one case, and roller skates in the second). My
>wife, as a pedestrian, was knocked unconscious by another, who fled the scene. One way or another,
>they should learn that they don't own the road.
>

Make sure you are not blocking the path when you stop to pick your ass and you likely won't have
any problem.

gwhite <gwhite@hocuspocus_ti.com> wrote in message news:<3FA7FC04.B4E8D3A@hocuspocus_ti.com>...

>
> No matter how rude or wrong, cyclists don't normally kill people out on the road. Motor vehicle
> drivers kill and maim on a daily basis.

Well, motor vehicles don't normally kill people either, and I believe that bicyclists kill their
fair share of pedestrians. I recall seeing the New York City statistics one year and the number of
pedestrian deaths by bicycle collision outnumbered even deaths by human bites.

-ilan

"Ilan Vardi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> gwhite <gwhite@hocuspocus_ti.com> wrote in message
news:<3FA7FC04.B4E8D3A@hocuspocus_ti.com>...
>
> >
> > No matter how rude or wrong, cyclists don't normally kill people out on
the
> > road. Motor vehicle drivers kill and maim on a daily basis.
>
> Well, motor vehicles don't normally kill people either, and I believe that bicyclists kill their
> fair share of pedestrians. I recall seeing the New York City statistics one year and the number of
> pedestrian deaths by bicycle collision outnumbered even deaths by human bites.
>
> -ilan

And having lived in Manhattan for many years, I can tell you that biting is a really serious problem
in NYC. ;-)

Ilan Vardi wrote:
>
> gwhite <gwhite@hocuspocus_ti.com> wrote in message news:<3FA7FC04.B4E8D3A@hocuspocus_ti.com>...
>
> >
> > No matter how rude or wrong, cyclists don't normally kill people out on the road. Motor vehicle
> > drivers kill and maim on a daily basis.
>
> Well, motor vehicles don't normally kill people either, ...

Dumbass,

IIRC, we average around 40k+ highway deaths per year here in the USA.

B. Lafferty <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Ilan Vardi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> gwhite <gwhite@hocuspocus_ti.com> wrote in message
> news:<3FA7FC04.B4E8D3A@hocuspocus_ti.com>...
>>
>> >
>> > No matter how rude or wrong, cyclists don't normally kill people out on
> the
>> > road. Motor vehicle drivers kill and maim on a daily basis.
>>
>> Well, motor vehicles don't normally kill people either, and I believe that bicyclists kill their
>> fair share of pedestrians. I recall seeing the New York City statistics one year and the number
>> of pedestrian deaths by bicycle collision outnumbered even deaths by human bites.
>>
>> -ilan

> And having lived in Manhattan for many years, I can tell you that biting is a really serious
> problem in NYC. ;-)

Average of human 1600 bites per year, 3 pedestrian fatalities do to contact with bicycle...

On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 06:42:51 -0800, Ilan Vardi wrote:

> gwhite <gwhite@hocuspocus_ti.com> wrote in message news:<3FA7FC04.B4E8D3A@hocuspocus_ti.com>...
>
>

> Well, motor vehicles don't normally kill people either, and I believe that bicyclists kill their
> fair share of pedestrians. I recall seeing the New York City statistics one year and the number of
> pedestrian deaths by bicycle collision outnumbered even deaths by human bites.
>
> -ilan
Traffic crashes are the leading cause of death in the United States for all age groups from 1
through 34 years <http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00015656.htm> Also, even tho I can't find
a ref., I believe most bicycle deaths are caused by cars. (This is so obvious that I must have
misunderstood what you are trying to say) Art

Status
Not open for further replies.