Clear coat on bike frames

JamLo21

Apr 6, 2004
Hey folks-quick question. Ive noticed the clear coat on my frame is worn off in some places. Would you guys recommend putting clear nail polish over these areas as a quick-fix? Thanks!!

You are better getting a small bottle of clear coat touch up paint made for cars, any automotive supply store should carry it.

Originally posted by eric_the_red
You are better getting a small bottle of clear coat touch up paint made for cars, any automotive supply store should carry it.

Thanks for the tip!

I would suggest to start off using a 1500 grit and finish off with 6000 grit sandpaper. It should have a cloth backing and use water when sanding. Wipe clean and then use spray lacquer to finish. I used this method on my Trek 5200 carbon nude with great results.

Originally posted by insmanblue
I would suggest to start off using a 1500 grit and finish off with 6000 grit sandpaper. It should have a cloth backing and use water when sanding. Wipe clean and then use spray lacquer to finish. I used this method on my Trek 5200 carbon nude with great results.
If its wet/dry sandpaper you need to soak it, (the sandpaper) in water for 20 minutes prior to using. Cloth backing? Not neccessary if its wet/dry; it will look and feel like "paper."