Clearing Obstacles

elrohwen

Jul 13, 2003
For the past few months I've mostly been training to do my first century (didn't work out because of a sprained ankle), but now I'm trying to get some mountaining biking in before the snow starts here in central New York.

I used to not have problems getting over smallish logs on the trail, but the other day I just couldn't seem to make it over anything. I can get my front wheel over easily, but the back one always hits and I have to bail out. I've read articles on clearing logs and the technique makes sense when I read it, but I'm still not able to actually do it on the bike. Do any of you have any helpful tips that the books and articles may have missed?

lock in mate. get some shoes with cleats and some good pedals. It will make a huge difference to your confidence.

Probably, you're not committing to the movement. First, don't hesitate. If you see something, just let instinct take over and you should be fine. Relax. Otherwise, unweight the front wheel, pull up and then unweight the back wheel. I think that's what I do.

the faster you go, the easier it is... get a little speed, get a little bunny hop over the log.

unless its a BIG log... in which case, just rock your balance- rock back to clear it with the front, then rock forward to bring your back wheel with you. and stay off the brakes so you keep rolling. practice with parking curbs

Originally posted by elrohwen
For the past few months I've mostly been training to do my first century (didn't work out because of a sprained ankle), but now I'm trying to get some mountaining biking in before the snow starts here in central New York.

I used to not have problems getting over smallish logs on the trail, but the other day I just couldn't seem to make it over anything. I can get my front wheel over easily, but the back one always hits and I have to bail out. I've read articles on clearing logs and the technique makes sense when I read it, but I'm still not able to actually do it on the bike. Do any of you have any helpful tips that the books and articles may have missed?
Ive had the same problem. All I did was convince myself to do it once or twice and then I was fine. Its a simple rolling movement. Just float the front tire over the log and have speed(but dont pedal while on the log unless you have to). All you need to do is just roll over it and then it becomes a subconscious thing now. Thats whay people dont explain it well.

Find bigger obstacles and force yourself to learn to clear those. Once you learn to clear bigger things, the small logs will be a breeze. This is my secret to progressing so quickly. Force yourself to practice.