Cleat Adjustment question

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by Bnnt, May 15, 2003.

1. Bnnt

Bnnt Guest

Is it worth the $12.00 to have my LBS adjust the cleats on new shoes and pedals, or is this
    something I should be able to tweak on my own. I believe I have read that more power will be
    generated if the cleat is on ball of the foot, and believe I have it there, but just wanted to get
    the opinions of some others out there.

Thanks in advance, Bennet

Tags:

2. Rivermist

Rivermist Guest

Save your money, you can do it.

"Bnnt" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Is it worth the $12.00 to have my LBS adjust the cleats on new shoes and pedals, or is this
    > something I should be able to tweak on my own. I
    believe
    > I have read that more power will be generated if the cleat is on ball of
    the
    > foot, and believe I have it there, but just wanted to get the opinions of some others out there.
    >
    > Thanks in advance, Bennet

3. Bnnt wrote:
    >
    > Is it worth the $12.00 to have my LBS adjust the cleats on new shoes and pedals, or is this
    > something I should be able to tweak on my own. I believe I have read that more power will be
    > generated if the cleat is on ball of the foot, and believe I have it there, but just wanted to get
    > the opinions of some others out there.

Cleat adjustment is a pretty personal thing. I prefer mine with the cleat all the way back, which
    put my foot pretty far forward on the pedal. It may not give me as much power but it eliminates the
    knee pain I've felt everytime I've had a shop do this adjustment for me. There's a tradeoff here so,
    if you're happy the way you are now, I'd be loath to mess with it. The difference isn't going to be
    much and you can experiment on your own if you're so inclined at any point in the future.

-S-

4. How do cowbells help your pedal stroking?

Steve Freides <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Bnnt wrote:
    > >
    > > Is it worth the $12.00 to have my LBS adjust the cleats on new shoes and pedals, or is this
    > > something I should be able to tweak on my own. I believe I have read that more power will be
    > > generated if the cleat is on ball of the foot, and believe I have it there, but just wanted to
    > > get the opinions of some others out there.
    >
    > Cleat adjustment is a pretty personal thing. I prefer mine with the cleat all the way back,
    > which put my foot pretty far forward on the pedal. It may not give me as much power but it
    > eliminates the knee pain I've felt everytime I've had a shop do this adjustment for me. There's
    > a tradeoff here so, if you're happy the way you are now, I'd be loath to mess with it. The
    > difference isn't going to be much and you can experiment on your own if you're so inclined at
    > any point in the future.
    >
    > -S-