Cleat position

Geob

Guest
I've had my R40 for a year now, and I like it now more than when I bought it. Wish all my purchases
were that good. My heart rate is down, my endurance up, my commute time down 10 minutes over my mtn
bike time, when I flex my newly sculpted leg muscles, the ladies say, "My Goodness!" then swoon.

I have learned a lot and made many incremental adjustments over the past year. My knee pain is
largely a thing of the past. Recumbent-butt also. Numb feet gone for the most part.

One area I believe I need to learn about and adjust is my cleat position on my shoes. I use SPD's
on Lake MX201's. On my mtn bike, with toe-clips, I wrongly kept my feet thrust in as far as they
would go, up against the front of the clip. I was accustomed to that position and set my cleats up
as far back on the shoe as I could go to mimic that position. This seems to place them a bit back
of the ball of my foot. In photos it looks like most people put them somewhat farther forward. I
actively solicit comments on this topic. I haven't searched the archives yet.. maybe I should have
done that...

TIA GeoB

My advice is congratulate yourself on finding the sweet spot, and don't change a thing.

Bobby

GeoB wrote:

> I've had my R40 for a year now, and I like it now more than when I bought it. Wish all my
> purchases were that good. My heart rate is down, my endurance up, my commute time down 10 minutes
> over my mtn bike time, when I flex my newly sculpted leg muscles, the ladies say, "My Goodness!"
> then swoon.
>
> I have learned a lot and made many incremental adjustments over the past year. My knee pain is
> largely a thing of the past. Recumbent-butt also. Numb feet gone for the most part.
>
> One area I believe I need to learn about and adjust is my cleat position on my shoes. I use SPD's
> on Lake MX201's. On my mtn bike, with toe-clips, I wrongly kept my feet thrust in as far as they
> would go, up against the front of the clip. I was accustomed to that position and set my cleats up
> as far back on the shoe as I could go to mimic that position. This seems to place them a bit back
> of the ball of my foot. In photos it looks like most people put them somewhat farther forward. I
> actively solicit comments on this topic. I haven't searched the archives yet.. maybe I should have
> done that...
>
> TIA GeoB

Numb rear is only an annoyance, so if anyone has some suggestions I'm all rears...I mean ears!!!

As far as numb toes, someone suggested I move my cleats further back towards the heel. That has
seemed to work (plus not riding with socks).

I'm not sure what the theories are to getting proper cleat position, so if someone knows where to
read up on this please let me know.

I have pedals with an SPD cleat on one side and a regular flat cage on the other - this is a GRR. I
noticed that when riding unclipped I was much more comfortable with the pedal in the middle of my
foot - so I took a knife and drill to my cleats and moved the SPD cleat about 1
1/2" back from the furthest built-in position. I notice significantly better power and comfort,
without cramping of the muscles in the front of my lower leg. Worth a try if you can get your
cleats to work, but I am not sure whether this is possible for most shoes (mine were Lake MTB
shoes with a rubber sole, relatively easy to cut that away for some extra cleat clearance.)