Cleat Position???

kameront2003

Jun 23, 2005
I have been having trouble setting my cleat position. Any suggestions? I sthere a foemula or something to go by when doing this?:confused:

as far as the 'forward/backward' position goes, a good place to start is to have the most protruding part of the inside of your shoe (which hopefully corresponds with the ball of the foot) right over the middle of the pedal axle.

the 'toes in or out' (cleat angle) part should be the easiest bit to set, because, if it's wrong, it should immediately feel unnatural to you.

be patient; it can take a little while to get it right :)

put them on the shoe loose enough to get some movement first.

find the most comfortable position on a trainer or leant against the wall pedalling backwards

take your foot out of the shoe

from underneath / through the pedal, tighten the bolts / screws to secure the plates to the shoe.

slip your foot in and then you are away!

If you really want to get into it check with your LBS - mine has an instrument that actually determines the correct positioning of the cleats - you actually ride on a trainer in the bike shop and this gizmo determines the alignment - pretty neat !!!!

litespeedguy said:
If you really want to get into it check with your LBS - mine has an instrument that actually determines the correct positioning of the cleats - you actually ride on a trainer in the bike shop and this gizmo determines the alignment - pretty neat !!!!
Sorry, but could you please expand a bit on LBS? What exactly is it?

LBS = Local Bike Shop ; red Look's have a notch that should align w/ ball of foot & pedal spindle and as Fat Hack mentioned correct tilt will feel "right" ; but some bike shops will have this devise that sets the cleats a little more scientifically - it just depends on how "into" cleat fitting you are !!

Play with it . You can't be an expert from the start. The more I ride the more I learn. Just read a quote from someone that said if you do something an hour a day for 3 years you will be an expert.

litespeedguy said:
LBS = Local Bike Shop ; red Look's have a notch that should align w/ ball of foot & pedal spindle and as Fat Hack mentioned correct tilt will feel "right" ; but some bike shops will have this devise that sets the cleats a little more scientifically - it just depends on how "into" cleat fitting you are !!

obxbes said:
Play with it . You can't be an expert from the start. The more I ride the more I learn. Just read a quote from someone that said if you do something an hour a day for 3 years you will be an expert.
Thanks!!!!

Start with the best fitting you can get from you LBS for a baseline. If that doesn't work, then start making your own adjustments.

Basically, it works like this: For more power, place the cleat just under or in front of the ball of your foot (utilizing more leverage). For more comfort place the cleats just behind the ball of your foot. I am only talking a few mm with of adjustment, so try one adjustment and then ride and see how that works - it could take a few attempts.

LBS stands for Local Bike Shop, I think? I was kinda cornfused too! If it doesn't stand for that then I am just clueless as to what it could stand for!
wackydeirdre said:
Sorry, but could you please expand a bit on LBS? What exactly is it?

kameront2003 said:
LBS stands for Local Bike Shop, I think? I was kinda cornfused too! If it doesn't stand for that then I am just clueless as to what it could stand for!
Yep, you're right

LBS = Local Bike Shop

My new shoes arrived today, guess who will be in the garage this evening with the turbo, the shoes, a screwdriver and hopefully the patience of a saint:)

ConorLundy said:
My new shoes arrived today, guess who will be in the garage this evening with the turbo, the shoes, a screwdriver and hopefully the patience of a saint:)
Find some reference point on the shoe that corresponds to the ball of the foot (foot inside), then find the point on the cleat that lines up with the pedal axle, align the two points of reference and this is a good starting point.

Then all you have to do is sort out the angle of the cleat and its lateral position on the bottom of the shoe.

Cheers man, I'll give it a whirl, I've always struggled to get a really good fit with the cleats.