Cleat setup same as walking?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Joel Rose, Feb 28, 2003.

  1. Joel Rose

    Joel Rose Guest

    Hello,

    I pronate moderately when I walk or run but when I am clipped into my pedals, my shoes are basically
    pointing straight ahead.

    I was wondering if your cleat position and in turn your shoe postion once clipped into your pedal,
    should end up pointing the same way as walking or running?? I hope this makes sense, but I have been
    spinning quite regularly and am really noticing my foot position while on the bike varies from any
    other time I am on my feet.

    Thanks, Joel

    Tags:

  2. no

    no Guest

    In article <%[email protected]>, Joel Rose <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I was wondering if your cleat position and in turn your shoe postion once clipped into your pedal,
    >should end up pointing the same way as walking or running?

    That sounds like a good start. Bring a wrench along on your first few rides so you can tweak the
    cleat positions if you feel any unusual pressure on your knees.

    Ken

  3. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    "Joel Rose" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:%[email protected]...
    > Hello,
    >
    > I pronate moderately when I walk or run but when I am clipped into my pedals, my shoes are
    > basically pointing straight ahead.
    >
    > I was wondering if your cleat position and in turn your shoe postion once clipped into your pedal,
    > should end up pointing the same way as walking or running?? I hope this makes sense, but I have
    > been spinning quite regularly and am really noticing my foot position while on the bike varies
    > from any other time I am on my feet.

    I don't know that the two are necessarily related, I point my toes in on the bike, but don't walk or
    run that way. While you can experiment with different cleat angles, I think a faster way of
    determining what angle your feet prefer is to ride with flat pedals and sneakers and see where your
    feet like to go.