Cleat setup same as walking?

Joel Rose

Guest
Hello,

I pronate moderately when I walk or run but when I am clipped into my pedals, my shoes are basically
pointing straight ahead.

I was wondering if your cleat position and in turn your shoe postion once clipped into your pedal,
should end up pointing the same way as walking or running?? I hope this makes sense, but I have been
spinning quite regularly and am really noticing my foot position while on the bike varies from any
other time I am on my feet.

Thanks, Joel

In article <%[email protected]>, Joel Rose <[email protected]> wrote:
>I was wondering if your cleat position and in turn your shoe postion once clipped into your pedal,
>should end up pointing the same way as walking or running?

That sounds like a good start. Bring a wrench along on your first few rides so you can tweak the
cleat positions if you feel any unusual pressure on your knees.

Ken

"Joel Rose" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:%[email protected]...
> Hello,
>
> I pronate moderately when I walk or run but when I am clipped into my pedals, my shoes are
> basically pointing straight ahead.
>
> I was wondering if your cleat position and in turn your shoe postion once clipped into your pedal,
> should end up pointing the same way as walking or running?? I hope this makes sense, but I have
> been spinning quite regularly and am really noticing my foot position while on the bike varies
> from any other time I am on my feet.

I don't know that the two are necessarily related, I point my toes in on the bike, but don't walk or
run that way. While you can experiment with different cleat angles, I think a faster way of
determining what angle your feet prefer is to ride with flat pedals and sneakers and see where your
feet like to go.