Cleatless shoes

Tekbuf

Guest
My girlfriend wants to use toe clips for riding. I seem to be unable to find a pair of hard soled
shoes with no cleats. Can someone point me to sources (or other solutions) that would solve our
issue. She simply will not use SPD/Look type pedals. Thanks.

--
rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving posting problems, or contact
the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/ Please read the charter before posting:

Originally posted by Tekbuf
My girlfriend wants to use toe clips for riding. I seem to be unable to find a pair of hard soled
shoes with no cleats. Can someone point me to sources (or other solutions) that would solve our
issue. She simply will not use SPD/Look type pedals. Thanks.

--

Sidi makes some - I've seen some of the Rivendell gang using them but I don't know where you get them. They're black with regular lacing and sort of a tennis shoe type sole.

"TekBuf" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> My girlfriend wants to use toe clips for riding. I seem to be unable to find a pair of hard soled
> shoes with no cleats. Can someone point me to sources (or other solutions) that would solve our
> issue. She simply will not use SPD/Look type pedals. Thanks.
>
> --
> rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving posting problems, or
> contact the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/ Please read the charter before posting:
> http://rbor.org/rbor_charter.txt

Shimano makes some that do have cleat holes, but come with a rubber piece over the holes. You need
to cut it out to access the cleats. Therefore, they're essentially what you're looking for, but an
added plus if she ever decides to go clipless.

here's one model, for example: http://tinyurl.com/f02l

Jon Bond

--
rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving posting problems, or contact
the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/ Please read the charter before posting:
http://rbor.org/rbor_charter.txt

"TekBuf" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> My girlfriend wants to use toe clips for riding. I seem to be unable to find a pair of hard soled
> shoes with no cleats. Can someone point me to sources (or other solutions) that would solve our
> issue. She simply will not use SPD/Look type pedals. Thanks.
>
> --
> rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving posting problems, or
> contact the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/ Please read the charter before posting:
> http://rbor.org/rbor_charter.txt

I wear thrift-store men's leather dress shoes ($10) which are very comfortable with toeclip pedals.
(but I bet a pair of used wingtips wouldn't look so good on your GF)

SiDi made a shoe just as you seek, the Touring model. Rivendell talked SiDi into another run after
they were discontinued. You might ask Rivendell if any remain.

Look at the Diadora Voyager Touring shoes sold by Nashbar - http://www.nashbar.com

--
Tony Rentschler New York, NY

--

[email protected] (TekBuf) wrote in news:ab648e32.0306222106.f33dd66 @posting.google.com:
> My girlfriend wants to use toe clips for riding. I seem to be unable to find a pair of hard soled
> shoes with no cleats. Can someone point me to sources (or other solutions) that would solve our
> issue. She simply will not use SPD/Look type pedals. Thanks.

Modern touring shoes work great without cleats. Shimano's touring shoe is widely available.

--
rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving posting problems, or contact
the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/ Please read the charter before posting:
http://rbor.org/rbor_charter.txt

> My girlfriend wants to use toe clips for riding. I seem to be unable to find a pair of hard soled
> shoes with no cleats. Can someone point me to sources (or other solutions) that would solve our
> issue. She simply will not use SPD/Look type pedals. Thanks.

I've found that stiff-soled cross-training (athletic) shoes work well with toe clips.

it's morning".

rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving posting problems, or contact
the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/ Please read the charter before posting:
http://rbor.org/rbor_charter.txt

"TekBuf" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> My girlfriend wants to use toe clips for riding. I seem to be unable to find a pair of hard soled
> shoes with no cleats. Can someone point me to sources (or other solutions) that would solve our
> issue. She simply will not use SPD/Look type pedals. Thanks.

The problem is finding smooth-soled shoes that are "walkable" (aka, SPD, or mtb-type shoes). Most
have aggressive lugs that catch on the pedal edge and make it difficult to enter.

Doesn't Brandt use a Shimano model like I describe?

--
Robin Hubert <[email protected]

> My girlfriend wants to use toe clips for riding. I seem to be unable to find a pair of hard soled
> shoes with no cleats. Can someone point me to sources (or other solutions) that would solve our
> issue. She simply will not use SPD/Look type pedals. Thanks.

Diadora Avalance, Specialized Rockhopper.

--
_________________________

rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving posting problems, or contact
the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/ Please read the charter before posting:
http://rbor.org/rbor_charter.txt

>My girlfriend wants to use toe clips for riding. I seem to be unable to find a pair of hard soled
>shoes with no cleats. Can someone point me to sources (or other solutions) that would solve our
>issue. She simply will not use SPD/Look type pedals. Thanks.

Just get a pair of MTB shoes and don't mount the cleats. Many shoes come with covers over the
bolt holes.
-----------------
Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

--

Alex Rodriguez <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
> Just get a pair of MTB shoes and don't mount the cleats. Many shoes come with covers over the
> bolt holes.

Most mountain bike shoes have lugs that are so thick that the shoes cannot be used with quill or
platform pedals, especially with toe clips. You could get BMX-style shoes that have flat soles
(sometimes without cleat mounts) or touring shoes which have a thinner street tread.

--
rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving posting problems, or contact
the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/ Please read the charter before posting:
http://rbor.org/rbor_charter.txt

I don't wear cleats and use these shoes for touring which can be found at
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=&subcategory=&brand=&sku=6778&storetype=&estoreid= They
work great for me.

[email protected] (TekBuf) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> My girlfriend wants to use toe clips for riding. I seem to be unable to find a pair of hard soled
> shoes with no cleats. Can someone point me to sources (or other solutions) that would solve our
> issue. She simply will not use SPD/Look type pedals. Thanks.

--
rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving posting problems, or contact
the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/ Please read the charter before posting:
http://rbor.org/rbor_charter.txt

[email protected] (TekBuf) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> My girlfriend wants to use toe clips for riding. I seem to be unable to find a pair of hard soled
> shoes with no cleats. Can someone point me to sources (or other solutions) that would solve our
> issue. She simply will not use SPD/Look type pedals. Thanks.

Much Thanks to all who responded. Though she makes the final decision, I am going to suggest she
look at the Diadora line at Nashbar. They have an incredibly wide selection of bicycle shoes
including multiple model womens touring shoes. She has a very narrow foot that the Diadora may
accommodate with the velcro strap and string tie up combo. The touring shoe seems to be a dying
breed, though.

--
rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving posting problems, or contact
the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/ Please read the charter before posting:
http://rbor.org/rbor_charter.txt

Interesting that you post this.

I am lucky to have two pair of the Sidi touring shoes- one leather and one lorica. But what I am
writing about is the extreme comfort and apparent efficiency of using them and toe clips/straps. I
only use my Carnac Legends when I am seriously hammering with a faster group, and even then I doubt
that the clipless system helps me.

I am talking as an enthusiast sportiff type of rider, and not a racer. I trust that even a tiny bit
of improved efficiency, even at the expense of comfort, makes sense for racers in most situations.

When I was racing and clipless came out I had to have them. Now I am going backwards. Being able to
move my feet around on the pedal, in the long run, may actually increase my speed over the course of
a long ride.

Carnac makes shoes like the Sidi model. May I suggest you check out some cycling web sites in Europe
like www.sjscycles.com, and ten there is

happy to ship to North America. Shoes, of course bring a whole set of problems when you buy them
through the mail.

Gary Jacobson Rosendale, NY

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 05:15:02 +0000, TekBuf wrote:

> My girlfriend wants to use toe clips for riding. I seem to be unable to find a pair of hard soled
> shoes with no cleats. Can someone point me to sources (or other solutions) that would solve our
> issue. She simply will not use SPD/Look type pedals. Thanks.

Many SPD type shoes come with the sole covering the cleat area; to use cleats you cut/rip that part
of the sole away. Leave it on. My wife uses shoes like this (Shimano). The hard sole is good even
without the cleat, if she won't use cleats.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. _`\(,_ | That is easy. All
you have to do is tell them they are being (_)/ (_) | attacked, and denounce the peacemakers for
lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any <country. --
Hermann Goering

--
rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving posting problems, or contact
the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/ Please read the charter before posting:
http://rbor.org/rbor_charter.txt

I go to Ross and get a pair of baseball or golf shoes on clearance for five bucks. Then I hack the
cleats off with a hacksaw.

Doug

[email protected] (TekBuf) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> My girlfriend wants to use toe clips for riding. I seem to be unable to find a pair of hard soled
> shoes with no cleats. Can someone point me to sources (or other solutions) that would solve our
> issue. She simply will not use SPD/Look type pedals. Thanks.

--
rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving posting problems, or contact
the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/ Please read the charter before posting:
http://rbor.org/rbor_charter.txt

> [email protected] (TekBuf) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > My girlfriend wants to use toe clips for riding. I seem to be unable to find a pair of hard
> > soled shoes with no cleats. Can someone point me to sources (or other solutions) that would
> > solve our issue. She simply will not use SPD/Look type pedals.
Specialized Sonoma are a very good touring shoe which can be used with or without cleats... All the
best Dan Gregory

--
rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving posting problems, or contact
the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/ Please read the charter before posting:
http://rbor.org/rbor_charter.txt

"TekBuf" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (TekBuf) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > My girlfriend wants to use toe clips for riding. I seem to be unable to find a pair of hard
> > soled shoes with no cleats. Can someone point me to sources (or other solutions) that would
> > solve our issue. She simply will not use SPD/Look type pedals. Thanks.
>
> Much Thanks to all who responded. Though she makes the final decision, I am going to suggest she
> look at the Diadora line at Nashbar. They have an incredibly wide selection of bicycle shoes
> including multiple model womens touring shoes. She has a very narrow foot that the Diadora may
> accommodate

If their cycling shoes are anything like their soccer shoes, she won't have a problem finding
narrow sizes.

a.