Cleats and commuting

montreal5

May 28, 2006
I live in NYC, and I commute 10 mi a day and do another 10-20 miles after work. I currently use toe clips, but I bought a pair of SPD cleats. Is it safe and/or practical to use clipless pedals when commuting? Should I stick with toe clips?

montreal5 said:
Is it safe and/or practical to use clipless pedals when commuting?

Of course. If you have to stop a lot it makes sense to use cleated shoes that won't be slippery when you put a foot down, but there's lots of choice in SPD models.

i use clipless pedals and shoes every day on my commutes, if the traffic is heavy or stop-start, you just need to keep your eyes out and have a bit of forethought to unclip before you topple or stop.
im using entry-level MTB shoes with a road bike, as the MTB shoes have a bit more grip than road soles which is handy for rainy days.

Once you're used to using the clipless pedals (if you aren't already) and they're starting to become second-nature, then by all means yes :)

I too use SPD cleats/pedals for daily commuting, with basic MTB shoes that have a decent grip surface.

If you have never used a clipless pedal before, then it's worth holding off a bit until you're used to them. Inner city commuting is not exactly the most forgiving of environments to learn how they work.

rek said:
If you have never used a clipless pedal before, then it's worth holding off a bit until you're used to them. Inner city commuting is not exactly the most forgiving of environments to learn how they work.
I doesn't take long with clipless pedals, once you fall over you'll learn not to do it again.
I was on Beach Rd. in Melbourne the other day and a cyclist had to stop for me and he didn't even clip out!! He stayed idle for about 30 seconds and stayed on the pedals, i thought that was rather impressive. This is on a road bike too. I was curious as to what he would have don't if he lost his balance? In front of hundreds of people.

The MTB pedals are a good idea. One, the shoes have got more grip and two the pedals are a lot easier to get out of.

Alias said:
I was on Beach Rd. in Melbourne the other day and a cyclist had to stop for me and he didn't even clip out!! He stayed idle for about 30 seconds and stayed on the pedals, i thought that was rather impressive. This is on a road bike too. I was curious as to what he would have don't if he lost his balance? In front of hundreds of people.

hours of practice in the driveway falling over.

I too run clipless SPD when commuting with casual-entry level bike shoes. Good for jumping off and being able to walk. Means I dont have to take two pairs of shoes everywhere

Alias said:
I doesn't take long with clipless pedals, once you fall over you'll learn not to do it again.
Make that two or three times for me :)

I moved to cleated shoes on my Hybrid and it was very strange at first as I had never had any type of clipped in pedals.

With using the bike with cleated shoes, it is now second nature, although the other day I somehow got distracted and nearly had a topple in the city. That would have been embarrassing.

Cheers,
Whytey

don't forget that you can usually adjust the release tension of the retaining spring/clip on the pedal, so it is easier to pop out; don't go too loose or you'll pull out muscling away from a stop. clipless is much better than toe clips and straps: more secure than a loose strap and easier to get out than a tight strap, and you can walk on a cleated (spd) shoe

montreal5 said:
I live in NYC, and I commute 10 mi a day and do another 10-20 miles after work. I currently use toe clips, but I bought a pair of SPD cleats. Is it safe and/or practical to use clipless pedals when commuting? Should I stick with toe clips?

I have commuted in Chicago, St. Louis, and Seattle for 10+ years with clipless pedals. I consider them safer than toeclips (easier release and entry) and much more efficient than nothing. I use MTB type because of the walkability when I get to work.

If you get lucky and find a brick road, you can try the Classic Cotton Flip Flop. To do this, go at a very low speed while standing. Now take your eyes off the road and make eye contact with any spectators around. The more the better. While keeping your eyes off the road, try to guide the front wheel into a large crack between bricks. When the front wheel slams to a halt, rise out of the saddle and allow the momentum to carry you over the front wheel and onto your back. The ticky part is to stay clipped in, so that you are lying on your back with your bike suspended above you. Hold for a few seconds and release. Don't be tempted to pedal while upside down. This is just showing off, and will be frowned upon by your audience. This stunt is also called a reverse track stand by OCP.

montreal5 said:
===========================================================
I've used road shoes/clipless pedals for commuting - I just got used to them and (mostly) anticipating when to clip out. Only 1 embarrasing fall I can remember:eek:

montreal5 said:
No doubt -- go clipless. And regardless of the kind of bike you ride, wear mountain bike-style shoes that you can walk in. You can't walk in road shoes. :)

Scott

so friday, i took off my toe clips and screwed on the cleats. i rode with them after work and did 45 miles yesterday. I gotta say i love the clipless. They werent hard to get out of, but sometime hard to get into.

But once clipped in, i felt at one with the bike. it was very zen