Cleats & shoes

CyclingN00B31

Aug 20, 2011
[COLOR= #9933cc][SIZE= 10px]I have recently started to get into cycling.. New road bike, new peddals, new shoes, & lots of cycling gear. The main thing I'm concerned about is the cleats & shoes. At my local bicycle shop (+ also the place i work at), I had someone who knew what they were doing, put the cleats on my shoes. Being the naive child that I can be, I took the cleats off not realizing that they were positioned a certain way and at a certain setting... I plan on biking into work tomorrow using my cleats and SPD peddals, but I'm very afraid that I am positioning the cleats wrong on my shoes. The last thing I want to do is position them incorrectly and get into a bad situation where I must clip out instantly and possibly get stuck (like I stupidly did a couple days ago). Any suggestions as to where to position the cleats on my shoes? [/COLOR][/SIZE]

yes you need to checkout three parameters:

1) "contact area" of the cleat and your foot is the center of the metatarsus (you achieved this moving the cleat forward or backwards - to the left or to the right)
2) your ankle shouldn't touch the crank arms, leaving a resonable clearence measured in milimeters, (you achieve this by moving the cleat to the left or right)
3) your shoe should be paralel to the crank arm in the horizontal position (you achieve this by turning the cleat position in an angle movement)

patience & good luck !

Reactions: CyclingN00B31