Cleats - suitable for old legs?

>> Your advice and comments will be most helpful.

They are, they have been avidly read and will be applied from Friday
next week when I go talk to Mr Roberts of Croydon...

Thank you all.
--
Charles
Brompton P6R-Plus; CarryFreedom -YL, in Motspur Park

In message <[email protected]>
"wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote:

> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >I am poised to lash out on a bespoke bike - a tourer.
> >
> > One of the things I am being urged to consider specifying is cleats
> > and quick-release pedals.
> >
> > I have seen people fall off when stationary, seemingly finding it
> > impossible to release their foot/feet. Is this a usual problem?
> >

> No, it is not 'usual'. When learning how to get in & out of cleats, it's
> normal to have a 'clipless moment'

I would recommend the first time that you use them, to go on a traffic free
ride, and to practice clipping in and out without stopping.
Also when I am slowing down, I always try to unclip, keeping my foot on the
pedal, long before I expect to stop.

On 5 Feb, 22:21, [email protected] wrote:
> >> Your advice and comments will be most helpful.

> They are, they have been avidly read and will be applied from Friday
> next week when I go talk to Mr Roberts of Croydon...
>
> Thank you all.
> --
> Charles
> Brompton P6R-Plus; CarryFreedom -YL, in Motspur Park
> LCC; CTC.

Charles - please post up and tell us all how you fare on Friday and
beyond! We're hoping to gain a new convert and I'm sure we will be
interested to know how you get on :?)

[email protected] said the following on 06/02/2008 07:57:

> Charles - please post up and tell us all how you fare on Friday and
> beyond! We're hoping to gain a new convert and I'm sure we will be
> interested to know how you get on :?)

What we're really interested to know is how many times you had the
"clipless moment" :)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Martin Dann writtificated

> I would recommend the first time that you use them, to go on a traffic
> free ride, and to practice clipping in and out without stopping.
> Also when I am slowing down, I always try to unclip, keeping my foot
> on the pedal, long before I expect to stop.

Anyone else regularly try to unclip when using flats? Then there's also
the momentary sense of panic when I freewheel on the, er, freewheel bike.
Must ride fixed less.

On Feb 5, 9:59 am, [email protected] wrote:
> In message <[email protected]>
> Rob Morley <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Is there a reason you
> > don't use regular toeclips and straps?

> Stroke 7 years ago left me with poor right foot control, especially
> vertically about the ankle.
>
> Pushing a shopping trolley tells me my knees are not A1 when it comes
> to twisting.
>
> I manage quite well with half-clips; the thought of full clips seems a
> bit anxious-making.
>
> On the other hand the thought of upping my cruising caoacity is quite
> attractive.

With SPDs on the lowest 2 or 3 settings you can pull your foot out
without twisting it at all. Of course you wouldn't want to sprint with
them at that low a setting but by the sounds of it that's unlikely to
be a major concern for you at the moment.

--
Dave...

In message <[email protected]
ps.com>
dkahn400 <[email protected]> wrote:

> With SPDs on the lowest 2 or 3 settings you can pull your foot out
> without twisting it at all.

That's re-assuring. Thanks.

> Of course you wouldn't want to sprint with
> them at that low a setting but by the sounds of it that's unlikely to
> be a major concern for you at the moment.

True - not a *major* concern :)

--

dkahn400 wrote:

> With SPDs on the lowest 2 or 3 settings you can pull your foot out
> without twisting it at all.

You may be able to with the "multi release" cleats (which I think are a bad
idea), but I don't think I can with the normal ones. Or perhaps I just
haven't tried hard enough.

~PB

Pete Biggs wrote:
> dkahn400 wrote:
>
>> With SPDs on the lowest 2 or 3 settings you can pull your foot out
>> without twisting it at all.

> You may be able to with the "multi release" cleats (which I think are
> a bad idea), but I don't think I can with the normal ones. Or
> perhaps I just haven't tried hard enough.

My experience supports PB's comments.
I run my SPDs at lowest tension settings, and they don't release upwards
with a single-release cleat.
With a multi-release cleat (my other half's shoes), they do release upwards.

- Nigel

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

On Feb 7, 9:44 am, "Nigel Cliffe" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Pete Biggs wrote:
> > dkahn400 wrote:

> >> With SPDs on the lowest 2 or 3 settings you can pull your foot out
> >> without twisting it at all.

> > You may be able to with the "multi release" cleats (which I think are
> > a bad idea), but I don't think I can with the normal ones. Or
> > perhaps I just haven't tried hard enough.

> My experience supports PB's comments.
> I run my SPDs at lowest tension settings, and they don't release upwards
> with a single-release cleat.
> With a multi-release cleat (my other half's shoes), they do release upwards.

Pete is usually correct on technical matters, and just to confirm it
my SPDs are indeed multi-release. I don't see why they're a bad idea
particularly. I've had no problems from this aspect of them in many
thousands of miles of hard riding.

--
Dave...

dkahn400 writtificated

> Pete is usually correct on technical matters, and just to confirm it
> my SPDs are indeed multi-release. I don't see why they're a bad idea
> particularly. I've had no problems from this aspect of them in many
> thousands of miles of hard riding.

Sprinting and bunny hopping can result in unplanned unclips with these
pedals. Not really a problem for the casual rider/trundly.

In message <[email protected]>
Mark T <pleasegivegenerously@warmail*turn_up_the_heat_to_rep
ly*.com.invalid> wrote:

> Sprinting and bunny hopping can result in unplanned unclips with these
> pedals. Not really a problem for the casual rider/trundly.

Got my average speed up to 8.8mph today.

Does that mean I am a trundly or a casual rider?

Or just say I prefer to avoid Surbiton Hill and go to Sandown park via
Esher?

Whatever, it felt good.

--

[email protected]m wrote:
> In message <[email protected]>
> Mark T <pleasegivegenerously@warmail*turn_up_the_heat_to_rep
> ly*.com.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Sprinting and bunny hopping can result in unplanned unclips with
>> these pedals. Not really a problem for the casual rider/trundly.

> Got my average speed up to 8.8mph today.
>
> Does that mean I am a trundly or a casual rider?

You could be a casual trundly who goes into the occasional sprint. A bit
like Mario Cipollini on a bad day, perhaps :)

~PB