Cleats

bjoanne2000

Jun 23, 2003
Hi,

I have been posting in another thread, "numbness in wrists & fingers" but I have a question about cleats...it is very embarrassing!

I have ridden bicycles for many years of my life, with 18 years of no activity, I bought a new Specialized Crossroads, 2002
and was talked into putting cleated pedals and getting special shoes. Now I love being able to have power on the upstroke!! but I took 3 spills while I was learning that my feet were attached to my bike,LOL
I was probably fairly red faced when I stopped and went to put my feet down, and "UH OHH" Looked like Arty Johnson on Laugh in, where he fell off the tricycle...anyways, I was just wondering if I am the only one this has ever happened too? (yeah, im blonde)

Jo Anne

There are only two types of riders: Those that have fallen and those that are still going to fall.
You have joined an elite group.

You are not the only one....I recently took the jump to new pedals and shoes. That evening I was playing around in the parking lot and over I went. Was not the last time and I am sure that there will be a few more coming. It will become second nature in some time.

I have done it three times, and fortunately the only thing I have hurt was my pride, at my age I shouldn't be falling down:)~ Gads I made it to 50 and I will break my neck at zero miles per hour because I cant get my feet out of the pedals..hahahaha... I have stopped locking in while Im in town and there are stop lights, but when I am going for longer ride on open road, I lock in and try to remember that when I get close to my destination I need to get my feet out. It has been over a month now since I stopped, looked real surprised, and fell over:)
hopefully I have learned!!!!!
Jo Anne ;)

Originally posted by cotty
You are not the only one....I recently took the jump to new pedals and shoes. That evening I was playing around in the parking lot and over I went. Was not the last time and I am sure that there will be a few more coming. It will become second nature in some time.

Peak hour, sydney roads, hill, red light... Use your imagination :) yes, we all did it/still do it.. so don't worry, its all part of the fun... if you need some cheering up, read the cycling dorkdom thread in this site.. :)

happened to me on my second date with this guy from my cycling group... how embarrassing! must have impressed him though, we are married now...

Well congratulations:)

The only people that gave me a second look were just gasping for air laughing....not really, but I dont want to do that any more, I know I will, because when you ride for a long time, you forget you are locked inbeen too hot to ride here, I heard it got to 108 today, still 100 on the porch...me too old for that kind of heat....going camping in two weeks to higher elevation and trees, and lake, taking bike!going to a place called willow lake, Oregon, I havnt been there, but i hear it is a nice place:) there are 20 of us going, as far as I know, one single male, one other with his wife and the rest of us are women...I am sure Greg will be feeling pretty cocky with all us gurls and only him..hahaha...oh well he is not my type...but there are a few:)
again congratulations on the marriage, please send illustrations on how to fall properly and get a man:)
Jo Anne

Originally posted by sun-lover
happened to me on my second date with this guy from my cycling group... how embarrassing! must have impressed him though, we are married now...

I received an e-mail today that said we are going to have to pay to use this forum now, if I misunderstood, please correct me, but I make very little money and I will have to say goodbye to all of you if we have to pay:( too bad this is a really nice place!
Jo Anne

Originally posted by sun-lover

Originally posted by bjoanne2000

I heard it got to 108 today, still 100 on the porch...me too old for that kind of heat....

Oh, I long for that kind of heat... I am on the Gold Coast & it's winter now... way too cold for me... roll on summer

Try loosening the cleats so you can click out more quickly. As you get more comfortable with getting in and out you can tighten them to add power to your stroke

Originally posted by kathybeast
Try loosening the cleats so you can click out more quickly. As you get more comfortable with getting in and out you can tighten them to add power to your stroke

If you are using the SPD cleats, you might try Shimano's SM-SH55 multi-release cleat. I found these allowed a more natural release from the pedal by a lifting roll of the foot. With the standard cleats they aggrevated a minor strain of the plantar fascia tissue, resulting in pain in my heal.

After a couple weeks returning to toe clips, I replaced the single release cleats with the multi-release cleats, and have had no difficulty getting out. my pedals were loosened to minimum tension withe the old cleats and still had difficulty getting out. Have even tightend them up with the SH55 cleats.

Best/safest A$50 I spent on bike parts

Mike

I bought Look cleats and pedals about a week and a half ago and after falling 7 times, I went back by the bike shop & said forget this. I could not get them to release consistently! The LBS guy talked me into trying Speedplay clipless pedals & they were like night and day! Very easy to get out of. I love them & have yet to fall with them. Good thing -- there was getting to be more bruises than hiney! :D

Originally posted by hibiscus09
I bought Look cleats and pedals about a week and a half ago and after falling 7 times, I went back by the bike shop & said forget this. I could not get them to release consistently! The LBS guy talked me into trying Speedplay clipless pedals & they were like night and day! Very easy to get out of. I love them & have yet to fall with them. Good thing -- there was getting to be more bruises than hiney! :D

I too have just purchased Speedplay pedals. This is my first experience with clipless pedals and so far I am very pleased with them. I have 75 miles on them now, they are easy for me to get in and out, and also I have much more foot movement with these over the SPD type that my husband has. I am using the Frog3 with recessed cleats on a mountain bike shoe. It is so much easier to walk with the recessed cleats too.
So far, tho, I have yet to join that elite group who have fallen, mostly because my husband caught me when I started to fall!

I fell in my own hallway!! I was trying to get use to a new cleat position (and I'm a new rider) anyway, I was using the stairs and the wall to balance myself and clicking in and out of my pedals, when my cell phone rang. Thank god it was my brother because I forgot I was on a bike and I lost my balance!! It all happened too fast and suddenly I was wedged between the wall and my bike - on the ground - and still hooked in!! I was laughing so hard I couldn't get up! He hung up on me!!

You in great company - keep riding, I'm sure it gets better! :)
(I also fell the very first time I took my bike for a ride, and on my very first road ride! !! :)

For my birthday two years ago, my BF bought me pedals on our mountain biking vacation in New Mexico. I fell so many times, I was totally black and blue when we got back - and refused to use the pedals again until this spring. The bike shop guy told me that they must have been too tight, because I just could NOT get out of them. Anyway - with loosening, and lubricating them, I am now a total convert, as my feet slide out easily. I haven't fallen all summer. I love them. - especially in the hills :)

Originally posted by bjoanne2000
Hi,

I have been posting in another thread, "numbness in wrists & fingers" but I have a question about cleats...it is very embarrassing!

I have ridden bicycles for many years of my life, with 18 years of no activity, I bought a new Specialized Crossroads, 2002
and was talked into putting cleated pedals and getting special shoes. Now I love being able to have power on the upstroke!! but I took 3 spills while I was learning that my feet were attached to my bike,LOL
I was probably fairly red faced when I stopped and went to put my feet down, and "UH OHH" Looked like Arty Johnson on Laugh in, where he fell off the tricycle...anyways, I was just wondering if I am the only one this has ever happened too? (yeah, im blonde)

Jo Anne

First time out on my mtn bike with clip-ins... half way up the steepest hill on the loop... unsuccessful attempt at clip-out... tipped over sideways... skidded to the bottom still attached to my rig... riding buddies nearly choked from laughing so hard. My pride was bruised, as was my right hip from a strategically placed rock, but the benefits of cleats so outweigh the risks.

I love my clips, but I am still trying to get used to my new Ultegra SPDRs. I have a habit of leaning towards the side I'm clipping out. My latest zero velocity incident was when I was trying to clip out on the "Bridge of Flowers" in Shelburne Falls, MA, and fell right into a bed of flowers in front of about 6 absolutely horrified senior garden club types. I know I yelled something foul, but I can't remember what I said. One of the other riders I was with told me I should have told them I was just trying to smell the flowers. I just am thankful it wasn't a bed of roses! :D
I was told later on that my clips were designed specifically to release only with a horizontal movement, unlike my old SPDs, which incorporates a little bit of a vertical release action too.
Whatever, I figure it's part of the package, and will continue to fiddle with the adjustments (and my technique) until I get it right.

Just made the switch from toe clips to clipless. Saw a hottie from the bike shop stopped at a light, and rode up to the light beside him. I tried to wave and put my foot down, but forgot that I was now clipped in and fell over onto my side in the middle of the road. It happens. A lot. You'll get better, I promise.