Cleats

davereo

Jun 17, 2010
Has anyone used Exustar Red 7 Degree Float Look Keo Anti-slip layer Compatible Cleats?
I was just looking at them on Amazon and they only had two reviews.

Originally Posted by davereo .

Has anyone used Exustar Red 7 Degree Float Look Keo Anti-slip layer Compatible Cleats?
No, but I've used the anti-slip Keo cleats and didn't much like them. They engage with a touch more difficulty and don't seem to float quite as nice. I don't know how well that will apply to how Exustar cleats function.

Hi davereo, yes I have and I didn't like them because the left/right float wasn't balanced/equal. I now use Look Keo Cleats (and cleat covers), and I am quite happy with them. Left/Right float is balanced/equal and even though the clip-in/out is firm, it is consistent. :)

Originally Posted by KLabs .

Hi davereo, yes I have and I didn't like them because the left/right float wasn't balanced/equal. I now Look Keo Cleats (and cleat covers), the left/right float is balanced/equal and while the clip-in/out is firm but consistent, and I am quite happy with them. :)
Thanks I was hoping this wasnt the case.

Hi davereo, yes I have and I didn't like them because the left/right float wasn't balanced/equal. I now use Look Keo Cleats (and cleat covers), and I am quite happy with them. Left/Right float is balanced/equal and even though the clip-in/out is firm, it is consistent. :)
How is the float not going to be balanced from left to right? Cleats aren't side dependent. Perhaps you only notice the difference because your legs don't require the same float and because the Exustar cleat doesn't float as freely as the Look (don't know, just proposing a possibility).

Originally Posted by alienator .

How is the float not going to be balanced from left to right? Cleats aren't side dependent. Perhaps you only notice the difference because your legs don't require the same float and because the Exustar cleat doesn't float as freely as the Look (don't know, just proposing a possibility).
Hi alientor, I guess they were a little faulty or not as well made as they could be, but that was my experience. Although, I was also using Exustar clipless pedals to suit their cleats, so perhaps they were at fault. I changed them at the same time to Look Keo Max2 pedals which came with Look Keo cleats. I have never had this issue with the Look pedals and cleats (left and right feel the same and the cleats are the grey 4.5 degrees of float) nor with the Crank Bros pedals I use on my MTB. Perhaps I was unlucky with Exustar (which had the red 7 degrees of float cleats) :)

I never mentioned that I intend to use these with my Look Keo Easy pedals. Disengagement is my main concern. I have had issues in the past with low end pedals and cleats. Ah what the heck for 12 bucks I should break down and buy a pair.

Hi davereo, for $12 they are worth a try. I may have been unlucky. Let us know how they go :)

I use Look's cleats exclusively now due to their additional touch of placing a small ridge on either side to assist in replicating position after removal (for shoes that have position marks on the sole - which Shimano shoes have). Other than that, I found the Exustar's equal in all other respects. FWIW, I use the black (zero float) cleats and have had no disengagement issues with either. Release tension (on the pedal) adjustment issue?

I purchased a set of cleats http://www.amazon.com/Exustar-degree-Float-Compatible-Cleats/dp/B0030ZOKAS/ref=pd_rhf_gw_p_t_3.

I mounted them on a pair of Time shoes and went out for a ride this afternoon. Engagement was flawless. The cleats fit inside the pedals perfectly. Disengagement was a breeze. The float was perfect although my foot position is consistant and I could get along with 0 degree having the float is good just in case something ever happens.

The prophile design of the cleats on the side that mates against the shoe is a little different than Look cleats. Although it did not matter due to the fact that the area that was different did not come into contact with the pedal. I have used a scriber to etch the position of my cleats on my shoes once I find the sweet spot. I laid the new cleats on the scribed lines and made sure the nose and the rear detail matched my scribed position. No adjustment was required.

IMO well worth it for half the price of Look cleats.

I purchased a set of cleats http://www.amazon.com/Exustar-degree-Float-Compatible-Cleats/dp/B0030ZOKAS/ref=pd_rhf_gw_p_t_3.

I mounted them on a pair of Time shoes and went out for a ride this afternoon. Engagement was flawless. The cleats fit inside the pedals perfectly. Disengagement was a breeze. The float was perfect although my foot position is consistant and I could get along with 0 degree having the float is good just in case something ever happens.

The prophile design of the cleats on the side that mates against the shoe is a little different than Look cleats. Although it did not matter due to the fact that the area that was different did not come into contact with the pedal. I have used a scriber to etch the position of my cleats on my shoes once I find the sweet spot. I laid the new cleats on the scribed lines and made sure the nose and the rear detail matched my scribed position. No adjustment was required.

IMO well worth it for half the price of Look cleats.
Thanks Dave, nice to know they work with Look Keo Easy pedals. Actually are they also meant to work with Keo Max and Keo Max2 pedals?

Thanks Dave, nice to know they work with Look Keo Easy pedals. Actually are they also meant to work with Keo Max and Keo Max2 pedals?
There is no difference in shape between any of the Keo pedals, excepting of course the shape difference that accounts for the 0°, 4.5‚ and 9°. The Grip versions a rubbery grip surface added in places on the bottom of the cleat. IMHO, the Grip don't engage quite as easily as the non-Grip versions and also don't seem to float quite as easily. That's only my impression, though.

The shape of the cleats are slightly different on the mounting surface. The nose or front of the cleat has the same radius as the Look. The rear configuration is also the same as the Look. This is the end that registers into the pedals spring loaded locking mechanism. The profile between these two surfaces is somewhat different. This area is on non mating surface to any important working area of the pedal. I only mentioned the difference in case someone decided to buy a pair and was taken aback by the difference, Possibly a manufacturing difference to prevent copy right infringement.