Cleats

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Jesse Nowells, Mar 21, 2003.

  1. How often should cleats be replaced?

    Tags:

  2. On Fri, 21 Mar 2003 03:30:16 +0000, Jesse Nowells did issue forth:

    > How often should cleats be replaced?

    When they wear out.

  3. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    In a brief moment of lucidity Jesse Nowells scribbled:

    > How often should cleats be replaced?

    When they've worn enough that any more tightening of the release doesn't keep them clipped in .. or
    earlier if you don't want to find this point .. ;)

    --

    Completed 1517 Seti work units in 11326 hours http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

  4. news:b5evn9$28m708$1@ID-137265.news.dfncis.de...
    > In a brief moment of lucidity Jesse Nowells scribbled:
    >
    > > How often should cleats be replaced?
    >
    > When they've worn enough that any more tightening of the release doesn't keep them clipped in ..
    > or earlier if you don't want to find this point .. ;)
    >
    > --

    > Completed 1517 Seti work units in 11326 hours http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

    I don't agree, I have found that worn cleats seem to begin to make it tougher to disengage, which is
    when I replace them.

  5. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    In a brief moment of lucidity Craig Brossman scribbled:

    >> In a brief moment of lucidity Jesse Nowells scribbled:
    >>
    >>> How often should cleats be replaced?
    >>
    >> When they've worn enough that any more tightening of the release doesn't keep them clipped in ..
    >> or earlier if you don't want to find this point .. ;)
    >>
    > I don't agree, I have found that worn cleats seem to begin to make it tougher to disengage, which
    > is when I replace them.

    In my case they released easier and easier .. ;)

    Shimano shoes, cleats and pedals .. a 'matching' set, on a Shimano chainset ..

    --

    Completed 1519 Seti work units in 11342 hours http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

  6. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    > In a brief moment of lucidity Craig Brossman scribbled:

    > >> In a brief moment of lucidity Jesse Nowells scribbled:

    > >> When they've worn enough that any more tightening of the release doesn't keep them clipped in
    > >> .. or earlier if you don't want to find this point .. ;)
    > >>
    > > I don't agree, I have found that worn cleats seem to begin to make it tougher to disengage,
    > > which is when I replace them.
    >
    > In my case they released easier and easier .. ;)

    IME they release easier and easier until they then don't release at all.

    Mike

  7. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    In a brief moment of lucidity Michael Dart scribbled:

    >> In a brief moment of lucidity Craig Brossman scribbled:

    >>> I don't agree, I have found that worn cleats seem to begin to make it tougher to disengage,
    >>> which is when I replace them.
    >>
    >> In my case they released easier and easier .. ;)
    >>

    > IME they release easier and easier until they then don't release at all.
    >
    > Mike

    Heheheh, I never got to the point where they didn't release .. ;)

    --

    Completed 1512 Seti work units in 11357 hours http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

  8. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    > In a brief moment of lucidity Michael Dart scribbled:

    Hey, you gotta catch me when you can....;^)

    > >> In a brief moment of lucidity Craig Brossman scribbled:

    > >> In my case they released easier and easier .. ;)
    > >>

    > > IME they release easier and easier until they then don't release at all.
    > >
    > > Mike
    >
    > Heheheh, I never got to the point where they didn't release .. ;)

    ...can you say 'Horizontal track stand'?

    Mike

  9. Trentus

    Trentus Guest

    "Huw Pritchard" <bounceCHECKSIGBEFOREMAILING@pritch.co.uk> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 21 Mar 2003 03:30:16 +0000, Jesse Nowells did issue forth:
    >
    > > How often should cleats be replaced?
    >
    > When they wear out.

    Gee, I never saw that answer coming.

    Apart from the obvious - "Twice as long as half it's length" answer - How long is a piece of string?

    Trentus

  10. Trentus

    Trentus Guest

    "Michael Dart" <mrdart@erols.com> wrote in message news:b5g98q014gp@enews1.newsguy.com... <snip>
    > ...can you say 'Horizontal track stand'?
    >
    > Mike

    LOL That was one of the funniest comments I've come upon in a while. It's especially poignant to me
    after a horizontal track stand cost me my GPS unit yesterday.

    Trentus

  11. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    In a brief moment of lucidity Michael Dart scribbled:

    >> Heheheh, I never got to the point where they didn't release .. ;)
    >>

    > ...can you say 'Horizontal track stand'?

    LOL .. I am familiar with the term, but only once ... when strapped into toe clips and the release
    snapped as I released .. ;)

    --

    Completed 1526 Seti work units in 11416 hours http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/