Click...click....click... when I stand on the pedals?

Cyclesaurus

Sep 2, 2004
Does anyone else have this problem? Is there a way to fix this or is it just that I am putting too much force on the pedals (rider weight = 235lbs).

Check headset/stem area. Many times it sounds like it is from the BB/Pedal area, but is not. Also double check your cleat tightness and that your pedals are fully torqued in the cranks.

capwater said:
Check headset/stem area. Many times it sounds like it is from the BB/Pedal area, but is not. Also double check your cleat tightness and that your pedals are fully torqued in the cranks.

Exactly right. It could be nearly anything.

You didn't mention what pedal system you're using. Some are more "vocal" than others.

Cyclesaurus said:
Does anyone else have this problem? Is there a way to fix this or is it just that I am putting too much force on the pedals (rider weight = 235lbs).

You can quick-check your BB bearings just by dropping the chain off the inside chainring and spinning the crank. If you feel freeplay, or hear crunching as you turn the crank, the BB likely needs replacement.

If that's not it, see if you can reproduce it when the bike is just standing still. Don't get on the bike, but clamp the brakes, and put a static load on either pedal in various crankarm positions. Try to determine if the click is due to something loose in the crank/BB, or elsewhere as the frame flexes. Don't rule out anything...static torque the bars, seat, etc. Could be a "working" RD hangar or dropout, loose headset, even a water bottle cage.

I had the same problem, on mine the refelctor on the front of the pedal was cracked. Nice easy fix for me:)