Click Click Creek Creek

Vp

Guest
Why does my bike, bought in 1992, make these sounds?

The bottom bracket makes a click on every rotation, and my handlebars are now creaking.

Why is this happening? It's embarassing...these things supposed to be solid.

Cheers

VP wrote:
> Why does my bike, bought in 1992, make these sounds?
>
> The bottom bracket makes a click on every rotation, and my handlebars are now creaking.
>
> Why is this happening? It's embarassing...these things supposed to be solid.

heeere leeezard, leeezard......

VP <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
> Why does my bike, bought in 1992, make these sounds?
>
> The bottom bracket makes a click on every rotation, and my handlebars are now creaking.
>
> Why is this happening? It's embarassing...these things supposed to be solid.
>
> Cheers

Ok, IME...

The creaking from the BB is most likely a crank that is or is getting worn. snug her up some more
and she will be good for a few more miles.

As for the creaking handle bar, mine does the same. i have ruled it to either a bar squashed into a
slight elliptical shape (depending on what type of clamp Gary used), or the clamp itself may be out
of round (the more likely i my case as it is a lower quality clamp). this will cause the clamp to
contact the bar in only 2 sides, and it will be like a pivot point. haven't found a cure so i live
with it (i just keep tightening the clamp up in hopes either the bar or it will form to the other).
awaiting somebody else's cure though.
--
~Travis

RE/
>The bottom bracket makes a click on every rotation, and my handlebars are now creaking.

It's probably the BB, but here's one I just discovered that I don't remember anybody mentioning in
other threads: the rear skewer mounting.

On my Ellsworth, it sounded *exactly* like a BB creak to me, but what had happened was that the
paint had worn off where the axles contact the rear dropouts and the metal-on metal had begun to
creak. A little grease stopped it.
-----------------------
PeteCresswell

VP wrote:
> Why does my bike, bought in 1992, make these sounds?
>
> The bottom bracket makes a click on every rotation, and my handlebars are now creaking.
>
> Why is this happening? It's embarassing...these things supposed to be solid.

Your BB needs to be checked, chould be the bearings.. After 11 years they sound like they've done
well. Only thing is that sounds from "down-under" (No I don't mean men-at-work) can be misleading I
recently got a new sqeak which turned out to be my cycling shoe tread rubbing against the pedal..
Took me an age to figure it out..

Gyp

Technician,

> The creaking from the BB is most likely a crank that is or is getting worn. snug her up some more
> and she will be good for a few more miles.

So I tighten it? I don't think I have the tools. I'll have a look.

> As for the creaking handle bar, mine does the same. i have ruled it to either a bar squashed into
> a slight elliptical shape (depending on what type of clamp Gary used), or the clamp itself may be
> out of round (the more likely i my case as it is a lower quality clamp). this will cause the clamp
> to contact the bar in only 2 sides, and it will be like a pivot point. haven't found a cure so i
> live with it (i just keep tightening the clamp up in hopes either the bar or it will form to the
> other). awaiting somebody else's cure though.

Ah ok. That's fine. It clicks a lot.

Cheers

(Pete Cresswell),

> On my Ellsworth, it sounded *exactly* like a BB creak to me, but what had happened was that the
> paint had worn off where the axles contact the rear dropouts and the metal-on metal had begun to
> creak. A little grease stopped
> it.

Sounds more forward than rear bracket. But thanks for the info all the same.

Cheers

Gyp,

> Your BB needs to be checked, chould be the bearings.. After 11 years they sound like they've done
> well. Only thing is that sounds from "down-under" (No I don't mean men-at-work) can be misleading
> I recently got a new sqeak which turned out to be my cycling shoe tread rubbing against the
> pedal.. Took me an age to figure it out..

It's def a click click that double clicks with more pressure. Same type of click with handlebars.

Cheers

VP <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<BB098CCB.40945%[email protected]>...
> Why does my bike, bought in 1992, make these sounds?
>
> The bottom bracket makes a click on every rotation, and my handlebars are now creaking.
>
> Why is this happening? It's embarassing...these things supposed to be solid.
>
> Cheers

> Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

Check the bottom bracket but also check the crank arms. My square taper cranks make a bit of a
clicking noise when they are just a tick loose.

Tom Walker,

> Check the bottom bracket but also check the crank arms. My square taper cranks make a bit of a
> clicking noise when they are just a tick loose.

Ah ok. I got 180 mm's (do they even make them any more?) so that could be the case. Sounds like
right side.

Cheers