Click/Creak in Crank?

Hander

Aug 2, 2003
This seems to be a common problem but without a common solution. I'll give it a go here and apologies if I've posted to the wrong forum. I'm new to cyclingforums.

I'm on a Cannondale BadBoy which is now about 3 months old. Recently it's developed a clicking which seems to be coming from the crank. It occurs regularly - usually twice in close succession per revolution - and sounds like abacus beads being lifted and dropped (if you know what I mean!)

It's been back to the shop (twice) where they had a look at the BB and removed the cassette and replaced a slightly loose cassette body - or the cylinder inside the cogs. The clicking is annoying and I'm not going to be happy until it's solved. Any suggestions? The shop is perfectly knowledgeable but don't seem to be getting anywhere.

I had similar creaking on my Ultegra road bike a couple of years ago. It was noticeable mainly when standing on hills. The crank arms and BB were tight. Turned out I needed a new BB.....mine was just worn out from too many miles.

I'd ask your shop to check the BB itself....good luck.

Dan

Check that your pedals are greased and and COMPLETELY tightened. I had a "double-click" and the right pedal was slightly loose, by which I mean it was not absolutely snug. I've got a 'dale and the aluminum frame seems to transfer the sound so it sounds like something else. Periodically I get a creak, but it's never turned out to be the BB.

As I said, BB has been checked. At least, that's what they say.

Pedals have only just been changed and click was there before. They're nicely greased and tight.

Read something just now here which was the main pivot. Doesn't sound like a job for me but I guess I'll try it out with the shop.

Thanks so far to you both.

Does it occur if you are off the saddle? I had a problem like that before. the sound seemed to be coming from the cranks when in fact it was from the seat post! The LBS took the post out, greased it and I've never had the problem since.

Now however I have a click coming from the handle bar/ stem junction... the LBS greased it but it seems to be still there. Anyone?

keep going back to your bike shop until you're satisified. if they're not getting anywhere, encourage them to contact c'dale. copy this thread to the c'dale customer service email -- they've helped me in the past. [email protected]

my maint manual says if you have a click, it's cracked show cleats, a cracked show sole, loose bottom bracket, loose crank arm, or a loose pedal.

micman is right -- sometimes the sound is coming from an unexpected place. a friend of mine spent hours looking for a creak in his bottom bracket that was actually a cracked handlebar.

good luck & let us know if you find it!

micman is right -- sometimes the sound is coming from an unexpected place. a friend of mine spent hours looking for a creak in his bottom bracket that was actually a cracked handlebar.

good luck & let us know if you find it! [/QUOTE]

I agree, had a similar noise which I swore was originating from my front wheel-a constant clicking sound but turned out to be a loose drink bottle cage-a quick squeeze fixed the problem. Now for that squeaky peddle......

In my experiences that sounds comes from the BB when there is insufficent grease on the BB. Remove the cranks and generously apply grease before putting the cranks on and tightening them up.

Good Luck

Brian

I like this thread. Ditto on everything else everyone said. I've had all kinds of creeks over the years that seemed to come from the cranks. Once it was my saddle, once it was my seatpost, once it was my stem and once it was a loose spoke in my wheel. It's never the crank. You can go crazy lubing everything yourself, but your shop should be able to pinpoint the problem in just a minute. Unfortunately, I once had a problem with the wheel with creeking and I had to leave my wheel behind for a rebuild. It was a major hassle, but the creek went away.

Glad the thread is appreciated(!) Few things:

1) Re: the saddle. No, the click (I say this as opposed to creak as it is a distinct double sound of 'tick tick' on each revolution) doesn't occur when I'm off the saddle. I guess that means it could be the saddle, doesn't it? I will grease it and see if it makes a difference. Oddly enough, when the bike last came out of the shop - checking out the click unsuccessfully - the saddle was set really high. Insignificant coincidence but I'm 6 3" and this saddle was high!

2) I don't know whether the sound is drowned by traffic most of the time but I do kind of get the impression that it isn't there all the time. By the end of my journey to a from work - say 20 mins each way - it's definitely there.

3) For a minute I thought it might be the cycle computer - and got all excited ... well, sort of. It's wireless and makes a small sounds on each revolution as the magnet passes the sensor. Anyway, it ain't that.

4) Re: insisting at the bike shop. The shop is Evans - anyone London based will know it. I can't fault them for their attention in the past - exemplary - but thanks for the address of C'dale Customer Services. I'll try them.

5) Only just had SPDs fitted so neither them nor the pedals in general seem likely to be the culprit.

Did anyone read the URL I posted on the main pivot? Any experiences with that?

And finally, thanks for all the replies. When I do get to the bottom of this, I will most certainly update the thread. If it's a joint in my knee or something equally embarrassing, I'll personally seek you all out and buy you a beer.

Best,

Nick

The last time I had this problem, I took the crank off, removed the crank bolts to separate the cranks, cleaned both cranks and the bolts, put it back together and put it on, and the click was gone. My theory was that the bike recently had been rained on, and moisture got into the crank bolt area.

BTW, this was after I had installed a new bottom bracket to try to quieten the click. Wish I had done the cleaning first.

Good luck

Damn clicking from handlebar/ stem junction now. It is a click click noise which is only prominent when I'm climbing and putting lots of weight on the bars. It is not there on the flats with minimal weight on bars. The bike store and I have tried greasing the joint but damn click is still there...

On further inspection, there is an additional tube on the inside of the handle bar, which shows through a little hole. I'm wondering if that needs greasing and how to get to it?

Check your front hub, skewer, cones and what not,

Chainring bolts,

I think its your saddle, or seatpost LUBE EM UP? not OIL,GREASE BABY!!

try a fiber washer or a couple of washers on lower crank to peddal arm bolt . this is a simula noise i had after having a sealed
crank fitted. [The bracket bolt was a fraction to long.Making bolt feel
tight ,but wasnt.]

good luck

chookster

Someone said to check you chain ring bolts, I had a nasty sound coming from my cranks, that I could not figure out for a while.....chain ring bolts way loose. The other thing, SEAT. Had a buddy that had a cracked seat base, it would click on every revolution of the pedals. Other than that......GOOD LUCK
Cotty

Hi all,

Well, it's sorted.

THe mechanic couldn't hear the click(!) but left me a note. Apparently he suspected it was the tension in the rear wheel. When the wheel is under pressure - or the pannier is loaded - the flex in the wheel was causing the spokes to rub together and click. He retensioned the wheel and the sound is no more.

Thanks for everyone's help. Have greased up all other potential problem areas.

Very best,

Nick

ps would love to join an informal maintenance group if anyone knows of one north of the river in London. I'm in W9.

I kinda have the same problem...

I have a 2002 Specialized Hardrock A1 FS w/ 760+ miles (i don;t feel like runnin goutside to check the comp) on it...