Clicking Bottom Bracket

zoom_jones

Apr 29, 2003
Fairly new to MB-ing generally. First post so bear with me. Just got me a nearly new Ridgeback MS as a starter bike which I'm fairly happy with.

Apart from a strange clicking noise (like a cable end pinging against the frame) . Happens under the following circumstances:

When the crank is turning (1 click for each half turn).
When pedalling hard (standing up).
When the bike is leaning to one side (end of the up stroke).

If the bike is perfectly upright or its not being pedalled hard then it doesn't happen.

Any ideas? Could it be a loose bearing in the bottom bracket? I've lubricated everything there is to lubricate. Checked all cable ends, chain etc.

Many Thanks.

I had a similar problem when i first got my GT Pantera, a few years ago. Took it back to the shop and of course unable to replicate the problem. Put up with it and it disappeared for a while. Squeaking returns periodically and i just put up with it.

My conclusion is that the noise comes from the bottom bracket/crank being tapered rather than splined (as the newer ones are) or perhaps the fact that it's aluminium on steel as well as tapered... Originally i thought it was the crank not being tight enough on the bottom bracket but the noise returns regardless.

Has anyone else experienced similar issues?

my trek 1000 is making a clicking noise while I pedal. I was going to take it by a buddy of mine who works in a bike shop part time, to see what he can do to it. I figure it has to be a bearing.

Open it up to make sure the BB is not 'dead'

If you have an aluminum bike. simply clean the threads and install with teflon tape. This usually helps.