Clicking chainset

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Paul, Jun 30, 2003.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    I have a slight clicking (nothing much) when I pedal, twice per revolution roughly when each crank
    goes over the top of its arc. It is most noticeable in gears 1-5 and in the middle chainring
    although it is audible on any chainring.

    I don't think it's a real problem, it has been there since I bought the bike which has done 3000
    miles without it getting any worse except perhaps in that it is now encroaching on gear 6 & 7 (8
    speed system). When I have had the bike serviced no one has been able to pin it down (or even hear
    it) so I guess it's nothing to worry about I was just wondering whether I could pin it down.

    I sounds like the click is coming from the chainrings/chain and I suppose it might just be contact
    between the chain and teeth in certain gear combinations. It's a fairly cheap, riveted chainset
    (Shimano C203) and I was wondering whether it might also be a slight movement around a loose rivet.
    The cranks are tightened to the correct torque and I can't see a noticabely bent tooth or anything
    obvious; the click has survived a chain change.

    Thanks for any thoughts, Kind Regards, Paul.

    Tags:

  2. Doug

    Doug Guest

    Paul,

    I'm wondering what type of bike it is...

    In March of this year, I purchased a Diamondback Outlook from my LBS. I also had an annoying
    clicking 1-2x per revolution of the crank. It wasn't always noticeable. I had the bike back for
    service several times. No matter how many technicians looked at the bike, they could not find the
    problem. In the end, they told me that "all bikes do that" and not to worry about it.

    After a few more commutes to work, I grew frustrated with it, so I decided to fix it myself. I took
    the entire bottom bracket apart, cleaned all pieces, did an inspection, but found no problem. I
    checked the chain and all sprockets. Nothing to explain the clicking though. Finally, I took the
    pedals apart. On the right side, there was a bearing that looked like it belonged in the headset.
    The pedal on the left side was missing a few bearings. After replacing/adding the appropriate
    bearings, the bike is very quiet.

    A call to Diamondback resulted in an apology and an acknowledgement that sometimes quality control
    misses things. I did however end up with a "free" two year extended warranty from the LBS. not that
    I'll trust them to service
    it...

    Good Luck! Doug

    "Paul" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I have a slight clicking (nothing much) when I pedal, twice per revolution roughly when each crank
    > goes over the top of its arc. It is most
    noticeable
    > in gears 1-5 and in the middle chainring although it is audible on any chainring.
    >
    > I don't think it's a real problem, it has been there since I bought the
    bike
    > which has done 3000 miles without it getting any worse except perhaps in that it is now
    > encroaching on gear 6 & 7 (8 speed system). When I have had the bike serviced no one has been able
    > to pin it down (or even hear it) so
    > guess it's nothing to worry about I was just wondering whether I could pin it down.
    >
    > I sounds like the click is coming from the chainrings/chain and I suppose
    it
    > might just be contact between the chain and teeth in certain gear combinations. It's a fairly
    > cheap, riveted chainset (Shimano C203) and I
    was
    > wondering whether it might also be a slight movement around a loose rivet. The cranks are
    > tightened to the correct torque and I can't see a
    noticabely
    > bent tooth or anything obvious; the click has survived a chain change.
    >
    > Thanks for any thoughts, Kind Regards, Paul.

  3. mercier

    mercier Guest

    I had a case of that. It's quite annoying, especially if you've paid a good bit of $ for your bike.

    Once I had a creak that turned out to be a loose cleat on my road shoe! Recently, a crank arm bolt
    slightly loosened so it only creaked if I put alot of weight on the pedals, as when climbing. Check
    your chainring bolts as well. Another obvious thing is a loose or dying bottom bracket. If it's more
    than 2 years old, and nothing else works, just replace it.

    Also, nickel plated chains are supposed to be quieter...

    Bob

    Paul <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I have a slight clicking (nothing much) when I pedal, twice per revolution roughly when each crank
    > goes over the top of its arc. It is most noticeable in gears 1-5 and in the middle chainring
    > although it is audible on any chainring.

    > I don't think it's a real problem, it has been there since I bought the bike which has done 3000
    > miles without it getting any worse except perhaps in that it is now encroaching on gear 6 & 7 (8
    > speed system). When I have had the bike serviced no one has been able to pin it down (or even hear
    > it) so I guess it's nothing to worry about I was just wondering whether I could pin it down.

    > I sounds like the click is coming from the chainrings/chain and I suppose it might just be contact
    > between the chain and teeth in certain gear combinations. It's a fairly cheap, riveted chainset
    > (Shimano C203) and I was wondering whether it might also be a slight movement around a loose
    > rivet. The cranks are tightened to the correct torque and I can't see a noticabely bent tooth or
    > anything obvious; the click has survived a chain change.

    > Thanks for any thoughts, Kind Regards, Paul.

  4. Paul

    Paul Guest

    My bike is a Dawes Chilliwack, a pretty cheap bike but generally a pretty decent one for the money.

    Thanks for the ideas about the pedals but unfortunately the click persisted after changing to a new
    set (the originals were too slippy in the wet). I've greased the pedal threads too and the cranks
    have been greased and tightened to torque by the LBS.

    As I said, I've done 3000 miles without it worstening so I think it's more of an annoyance than a
    real probem. It might also just be a case of relatively cheap components and I think one possibility
    would be a tapping together of the chainrings, since they're riveted not bolted they can't be
    tightened, there is also a small amount of play in the cassette.

    Anyway, I'll keep trying. Thanks for the thoughts, Kind Regards, Paul.

  5. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Hi and thanks for the input.

    The bike has a fairly cheap, riveted chainset so no bolts, I guess that if a small amount of
    movement has worked in around a rivet this might account for
    it. When the chainset wears and needs replacing I'll go for a bolted one.

    I don't think that it's the BB partly because the clicking hasn't worstened in 3000 miles but also
    because it doesn't affect certain gear combinations.

    I'll try a nickel plated chain the next time I replace it.

    Thanks for the thoughts, Kind Regards, Paul.

  6. paul-<< I have a slight clicking (nothing much) when I pedal, twice per revolution roughly when each
    crank goes over the top of its arc. >><BR><BR> << I don't think it's a real problem, it has been
    there since I bought the bike which has done 3000 miles without it getting any worse except perhaps
    in that it is now encroaching on gear >><BR><BR>

    arrrrgggghhhhh-

    Would you drive a new car with some wierd noise??

    The bike shop should hear it and correct it. A bike should NOT make noise like this, new or old.

    << When I have had the bike serviced no one has been able to pin it down (or even hear it) so I
    guess it's nothing to worry about I was just wondering whether I could pin it down. >><BR><BR>

    Look at pedals/cleats..maybe that's why they couldn't hear it..didn't have your shoes.

  7. doug-<< In March of this year, I purchased a Diamondback Outlook from my LBS. I also had an annoying
    clicking 1-2x per revolution of the crank. It wasn't always noticeable. I had the bike back for
    service several times. No matter how many technicians looked at the bike, they could not find the
    problem. In the end, they told me that "all bikes do that" and not to worry about it.
    >><BR><BR>

    aaaarrrrgggghhhhhx2-

    'All bikes' DON'T do that...no wonder the bike biz is in trouble. If car dealers had repair and
    service on par with this, they would be history...

  8. On 04 Jul 2003 13:24:37 GMT, [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote:

    >'All bikes' DON'T do that...no wonder the bike biz is in trouble. If car dealers had repair and
    >service on par with this, they would be history...

    They often do. If they can't find the propblem after trying a couple times, it doesn't exist.

    Jasper

  9. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
    > paul-<< I have a slight clicking (nothing much) when I pedal, twice per revolution roughly when
    > each crank goes over the top of its arc. >><BR><BR> << I don't think it's a real problem, it has
    > been there since I bought the bike which has done 3000 miles without it getting any worse except
    > perhaps in that it is now encroaching on gear >><BR><BR>
    >
    > arrrrgggghhhhh-
    >
    > Would you drive a new car with some wierd noise??
    >
    > The bike shop should hear it and correct it. A bike should NOT make noise like this, new or old.
    >
    > << When I have had the bike serviced no one has been able to pin it down (or even hear it) so I
    > guess it's nothing to worry about I was just wondering whether I could pin it down. >><BR><BR>
    >
    > Look at pedals/cleats..maybe that's why they couldn't hear it..didn't have your shoes.

    A good LBS with an experienced wrench should be able to fix this. I once watched the head wrench at
    my LBS carefully oil each joint of a frame then riding the bike making sure that one of the joints
    wasn't causing a click like this (it was).

    For me, the normal contenders are:
    - Seatpost needs regreasing (does it make the noise when you stand?)
    - Loose shoe lace hitting crank on every revolution :)
    - Rear suspension pivot needs to be lubbed (full suspension mountain bike).
    - Seat creaking slightly (this one's harder to fix -- I use spray lube on the rails and where the
    rails attach to the saddle.
    - Pedal cleats/sockets need lubing (until I switched to crank-bros egg beaters :)).

    I've also seen it be:
    - Loose pedals
    - Pedal bearings dry/going
    - Loose cranks
    - Loose bottom bracket (cartridge style). I've been told that teflon plumbing tape often helps here.
    - Bottom bracket worn out.
    - Handlebars
    - Headset ...

    David